//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hope you guys are stocked up on necessities

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Hope you guys are stocked up on necessities

Quote Originally Posted by kiser View Post
    Wow, I knew they carried a lot by the pictures but never dreamed that many! We have also been stocking up on many things. My wife is on board with canned food, when she goes to the store, she gets several. Pasta lasts very well so she got us a pretty good supply of it. I'm feeling better about my ammo supply but will continue to build it up along with firewood for a backup heat source. I do believe things may get worse before better but hopefully we are wrong.
    Muhnikka Jeff from NH was talking about two important things the other day. One was a vacuum sealer machine, which I went ahead and ordered one myself. I was going to say something to your old lady about that too.

The other thing is solar. If things go nuts you're not going to be able to get gas for your generator. Jeff thinks he's going to be able to keep his fridge and freezers going on solar and I'm not saying he couldn't, but that's going to be a feat. It's something I hadn't considered before but I am now.

I think the way to go about it would be to try and transition over to solar for the fridge while power is still available to try and refine the system so it's already working before things go south. I looked at a system on eBay that has both solar and wind power, but I feel like even with that I still wouldn't be able to run a fridge around the clock, I just don't see it. I'm in a valley so I don't get the sun other people might, and I can't remember the last time we had wind here. Sure seasonally we get a ton of wind like we did last spring, but a wind turbine would have been destroyed in that wind if it hadn't been taken down ahead of time.

A small (higher quality) solar generator is about 2k. This is supposedly a good brand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUETTI-AC2...-127632-2357-0

The home kit was $3000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECO-1400W-1...-127632-2357-0
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 10-08-2021 at 11:17 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The down side to solar is, you need battery's at night. It works great but the battery's are very expensive. I knew a guy when I worked at the power company that was completely solar and had electric put in because of it. He kept the solar for backup for a power outage, he ran his entire house off of it. Running a fridge wouldn't take nearly as much juice is the upside and if it only ran during the day and you didn't open it at night, it probably would be fine. Basically, in a full blown survival environment, you need a way to live off the land, eat what you kill. That's where we are fortunate to have an abundance of wild life.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Truckers explain that there is no shortage of truck drivers like the news is trying to tell you. This is how you manufacture a crisis. They theorize one possible reason for creating this problem is to try and force more self-driving trucks into the market.

https://youtu.be/UWd42vpu4DI
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    The trucking shortage started before the plandemic and in my experience it’s improved a little bit as of late.

Don’t quote me on the exact details here, but my understanding is that it has a lot to do with changes to the DOT rules and electronically logged hours. Basically in the past you logged your hours based on your truck going down the road, but now your hours are logged when your vehicle starts moving for the day.

So basically a guy could roll into El Paso Texas at 10 o’clock at night and sleep in the Walmart parking lot till 7:00am when he was scheduled to unload. He arrives at the warehouse around 7:15am and is offloaded sometime around 8:00. He then drives 20 minutes to where his northbound load is waiting, but there’s a line of trucks ahead of him and he waits until noon to get loaded.

His log now reads 5 hours, so he can only drive 3 more hours. He pulls out of the yard, drives 25 miles north and runs into the CBP checkpoint where they’re looking for drugs and illegals and ends up spending two more hours in that line. Basically his entire day is shot and he hasn’t even driven 50 miles.

On top of that I was told that these mandatory trackers for long haulers cost about $4000 and have a reputation for failing. I remember wondering why Trump didn’t get rid of that law, but just imagine how many more truckers became necessary in order to move existing goods around just because of it, and wasn’t job creation what that administration was all about?

Maybe somebody on here that does long hauling can correct me, but that is my understanding of how things have been for years now and why a lot of people don’t want to drive trucks anymore.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    The trucking shortage started before the plandemic and in my experience it’s improved a little bit as of late.

Don’t quote me on the exact details here, but my understanding is that it has a lot to do with changes to the DOT rules and electronically logged hours. Basically in the past you logged your hours based on your truck going down the road, but now your hours are logged when your vehicle starts moving for the day.

So basically a guy could roll into El Paso Texas at 10 o’clock at night and sleep in the Walmart parking lot till 7:00am when he was scheduled to unload. He arrives at the warehouse around 7:15am and is offloaded sometime around 8:00. He then drives 20 minutes to where his northbound load is waiting, but there’s a line of trucks ahead of him and he waits until noon to get loaded.

His log now reads 5 hours, so he can only drive 3 more hours. He pulls out of the yard, drives 25 miles north and runs into the CBP checkpoint where they’re looking for drugs and illegals and ends up spending two more hours in that line. Basically his entire day is shot and he hasn’t even driven 50 miles.

On top of that I was told that these mandatory trackers for long haulers cost about $4000 and have a reputation for failing. I remember wondering why Trump didn’t get rid of that law, but just imagine how many more truckers became necessary in order to move existing goods around just because of it, and wasn’t job creation what that administration was all about?

Maybe somebody on here that does long hauling can correct me, but that is my understanding of how things have been for years now and why a lot of people don’t want to drive trucks anymore.
    In my years trucking there were very few times I used logs and I never fully grasped some of the newer rules once they were refined. I never drove with electronic logs.

One thing I can add, there is also a "on duty not driving" category, but what difference that makes in your hourly allotment I have no idea.

I'll also add that Trump lifted driving restrictions when everyone was locked down so the trucks could run as much as possible, going by memory.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    In my years trucking there were very few times I used logs and I never fully grasped some of the newer rules once they were refined. I never drove with electronic logs.

One thing I can add, there is also a "on duty not driving" category, but what difference that makes in your hourly allotment I have no idea.

I'll also add that Trump lifted driving restrictions when everyone was locked down so the trucks could run as much as possible, going by memory.

I know there’s different rules for distance. For example we can send our own trucks out 120 miles one way without having to comply with what I mentioned (we don’t use the electronic logs) but the guys that do long hauling for us all have the devices.

I’d have to check on the lifting of restrictions. I specifically recall it was mandated by Obama and I was really surprised Trump didn’t axe it. That said, I’m talking pre-plandemic. It makes sense that there were restrictions lifted when all the craziness started.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 10-11-2021 at 07:30 AM.
    It sucks to get old

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    My neighbor drives, I could ask him about logging hours. I've heard him talk about tricking the system by logging for lunch and such, but he has a tendency to ramble on about crap I really don't GAS about so I go into "husband hearing mode" like I do when the wife is rambling on. I catch the important stuff but most of it goes in one ear and out the other.

Plus, he's kind of a bullsh!tting dumbazz as well, so there is that
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Yea, the trucking e log has definitely hindered the industry. I believe what Nico said is correct. I've worked closely with a trucker for a couple weeks the last 2 summers and he's always having to keep on top of his log. There is a personal conveyance time you can use also, which would be driving the truck for a personal reason that wouldnt count for your hours but it's very sketchy to use. They also have to reset their hours weekly by taking a day and a half off iirc.

If people are serious about prepping you should really have plans to grow your own food, seeds, and means to do it. Meat will only get you so far and can only last so long. If every Tom, Dick and Hairy are hunting deer to survive, the deer will disappear very quickly. Survival won't be on an individual basis. You could have 10,000 ARs and a million rounds but you'd never survive an attack by a large number of people. Small villages would have to be formed to stand a reasonable chance. In my opinion
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    If people are serious about prepping you should really have plans to grow your own food, seeds, and means to do it. Meat will only get you so far and can only last so long. If every Tom, Dick and Hairy are hunting deer to survive, the deer will disappear very quickly. Survival won't be on an individual basis. You could have 10,000 ARs and a million rounds but you'd never survive an attack by a large number of people. Small villages would have to be formed to stand a reasonable chance. In my opinion
    Good points. As a friend one said to me when discussing do use of precious metals after the collapse of the current system, “At the end of the day the only true currency will be guns and bullets”. Basically you can can all the goods you want and have a good stock of crop seed, but all it’s gonna take is one well-placed bullet and suddenly all your work and effort belongs to somebody else.

Hopefully we never get to that point in our lifetimes and guys like John and others who desire to live off the grid as much as possible can enjoy the satisfaction that comes with self-reliance without having to sleep with one eye open because we’ve ended up living in Mad Max world.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Looking at all the ships backed up out west i can believe shortages are coming again... Things are ok here in the Midwest, thankfully we seem to be lower on the nut jobs since fall hit, i think a lot of the crazy people head south for the warmer weather because they can't stand the thought of seeing it snow again. Whatever, let em go. Haven't had an issue buying anything lately, all in stock at the small local grocery and the local big box stores a town over. I think everyone is over hyping how bad it could get though. I'm old enough i have seen people panic more then a few times, and here in the Midwest its every winter when they say snow is coming and everyone rushes to the store preparing to get snowed in and then it doesn't happen. I've lived through the real blizzards where you actually were snowed in, sometimes without power, running water, etc. Always made it through without too much of an issue. I have backup power, adequate preparation by default in case weather does affect us, and its just the same as the store running out of TP these days. Thankfully the nut cases aren't hoarding 30 years worth of TP anymore, like how much do you need, if your using a roll a day you got other issues!! LOL...

I guess my point of view comes from where and how i have lived, among simple folk, in small rural areas, from the farm to small town living which other then having neighbors is just as slow and uneventful here as it was in the country. I have fields behind my house in town, watch deer go by every day, its quiet and peaceful. I think people in larger cities tend to panic because they truly don't know how slow the world can move anymore.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Food for thought.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Hope you guys are stocked up on necessities

Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Looking at all the ships backed up out west i can believe shortages are coming again... Things are ok here in the Midwest, thankfully we seem to be lower on the nut jobs since fall hit, i think a lot of the crazy people head south for the warmer weather because they can't stand the thought of seeing it snow again. Whatever, let em go. Haven't had an issue buying anything lately, all in stock at the small local grocery and the local big box stores a town over. I think everyone is over hyping how bad it could get though. I'm old enough i have seen people panic more then a few times, and here in the Midwest its every winter when they say snow is coming and everyone rushes to the store preparing to get snowed in and then it doesn't happen. I've lived through the real blizzards where you actually were snowed in, sometimes without power, running water, etc. Always made it through without too much of an issue. I have backup power, adequate preparation by default in case weather does affect us, and its just the same as the store running out of TP these days. Thankfully the nut cases aren't hoarding 30 years worth of TP anymore, like how much do you need, if your using a roll a day you got other issues!! LOL...

I guess my point of view comes from where and how i have lived, among simple folk, in small rural areas, from the farm to small town living which other then having neighbors is just as slow and uneventful here as it was in the country. I have fields behind my house in town, watch deer go by every day, its quiet and peaceful. I think people in larger cities tend to panic because they truly don't know how slow the world can move anymore.
    This is not over hyped, people are concerned for good reason. Where I live, for probably about a year now I've watched as the shelves get more and more bare all the time. Sure they're not completely empty but the stores have consistently been sold out of many popular items, and not just food. All kinds of things I try to get while I'm in town I'll either have to go to multiple places or I'll end up ordering online if I have no choice. That happens quite a bit.

The stores are pulling all their merchandise forward on the shelves to give the appearance that they're full. I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime in this country and it absolutely should be cause for alarm. They're gracefully lulling you into communism, so figure it out now. Sure things could improve and maybe they will, but there's no guarantee of if or when that will happen. The people running the show are intent on causing us middle class people as much trouble as they possibly can, that should be obvious, so get ready to deal with it.

Also anyone who voted for Buydin, we phuckin told ya so idiot.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 10-23-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I was about to start a similar thread, but I'm glad Dave covered this base.

I agree with T3........ That "country boy can survive" thing is severely limited in it's scope, and that's coming from an actual country boy. I remember in the 80s going out during deer season several times a year for several years and sitting for hours in the cold and seeing not one single deer. Deer tracks were rare back then and you definitely didn't see any roaming across my farm or hit in the road like you do today. I actually quit hunting deer for a couple decades because it seemed like a fruitless waste of time. Two months worth of "desperation hunting/poaching" and you won't see deer again for awhile. I've personally witnessed good fishing holes being overrun with people who fish the area dry for a time.

In short, like Joe(?) says, planning on being a hunter/gatherer to get by is not really a good plan.

My good friends asked me if I would help them with security on their farm because having 150 head of cattle to guard from poachers and theives is nearly impossible in the long term. There are lots of considerations

I also agree with 86T3 about one part of his comment regarding ARs and self defense. You're only good in large groups. IF you face a coordinated or even an uncoordinated bum-rush attack from a larger group of desperate people, then good luck with that. Pull back and live to fight another day. Always be ready to bugout of a position you can't possibly defend. In the SHORT TERM, I think most people will run away from even one armed citizen and take the path of least resistance to get their food or supplies(it won't be just food that people are gangstering from each other. I think when the situation gets more desperate and dollies are even in more short supply you'll see more organized and armed gangs looking to cash in on the armed-but-higher-value targets. That when you will be in grave and immediate danger despite being armed.

Read "One Second After"..... It's a really good fictional but hypothetical account of the kinda of things you might expect from humans if the country ever collapsed

Recently (yesterday) we cut up 50 lbs of pork and beef. I did 40lbs of chicken last week. Going back to grocery today or tomorrow. I also have about three months of freeze dried meats. We will probably pull alot of the beast back out of the freezer next week and start canning ball jars full of food and "meals in a jar"

I was actually on my way to fill up the gas cans and the LP tanks again later today. Might but another couple of LP tanks or maybe a big one (30 gallon-ish size)

You can't possibly prep for everything unless you're mad loaded with cash, and I'm NOT

I do the best I can with what I got and hope for the best.
    Last edited by ironchop; 10-25-2021 at 12:04 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //