//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 350x CDI issue?

--

350x CDI issue?

Hi-

Ive got and 85’ 350x my dad bought new in 85. It sat for almost 10 years before I acquired it, so I went through the basics and rebuilt carb, fluids, filter, plug etc. Go to start it and nothing. Start diagnosing and decide to swap the CDI from my son’s 400ex. Bike fires right up, but hits the limiter at part throttle (guessing this is why you need the 86’ stator and flywheel).

Anyway, I checked continuity on the stock CDI and it checks out good, as does the CDI from the 400ex, so I’m wondering if I’m missing something that would prevent the stock CDI from firing the bike? I’ve checked all grounds and wires and everything is good (I rode it with the 400ex CDI).

Is the CDI the first electronic part in the system to fire the bike off the voltage from the capacitor?

I’m really trying to stay away from an aftermarket CDI, since they seem to have problems.

Thanks for the help!

--
    Alright. Lots of views and no answers. Anyone have a thought on the Rick’s CDI replacement? Also, can anyone tell me why the 400ex CDI works with the 86’ stator/flywheel, but not the 85’?
    Thanks!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by xr4junkie View Post
    Alright. Lots of views and no answers. Also can anyone tell me why the 400ex CDI works with the 86’ stator/flywheel, but not the 85’?
    Thanks!
    I read your initial post and you mention avoiding aftermarket so I didn't bring up this replacement. People on 3WW have used these and the seller is a forum member.

Didn't know that a 400EX CDI would work on an 86, did it run well?

--
    I realized I was out of luck otherwise. Thanks for posting, I’ll probably purchase one!

--
    I have the stock CDI from my 86 and one from a 400EX. They're fully interchangeable.

--
    Yeah, sounds like there is an issue though with the 85’ being interchangeable, but I don’t know why.

--
    Honda did some one year only sh*t back in the day.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    To follow up, Mike with Mike’s ATV fix came through. Doesn’t currently have his new CDI in stock, but was able to sell me a factory used part. Great customer service and communication. I would recommend him 100%.

--
    Just adding some links to that CDI

http://www.mikesatvfix.com/

https://powersportssurplusllc.com/sh...honda-atc-350x

For the current listed price of $130, that's a great deal. The components in CDIs simply degrade with age, even if not used. At this point there's no reason to gamble with a used CDI when new ones like this are available at a very reasonable price.

There are many currently produced quads and motorcycles that have OEM replacement CDIs at much, much higher prices.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Honda did some one year only sh*t back in the day.
    Ahem...200ES

--
    Thanks for the links! I fully plan to purchase a new unit when they’re back in stock!

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Rev limiter is removed on Mike's CDI......just a word of caution in case you like twisting the ears off of it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    Rev limiter is removed on Mike's CDI......just a word of caution in case you like twisting the ears off of it.
    Glad you brought that up. Even without whiskey throttle, things like crashes happen such that the throttle gets stuck wide open. Insult to injury is a blown engine after a crash.

Speaking of aftermarket ignitions removing the rev limiter, I've got some first hand experience with a Harley that had an aftermarket ignition with the rev limiter set astronomically high and a dyno operator without a brain. The thing bounced parts between the cylinders like it was playing Pong.

--
    For some reason I thought the 350x didn’t have a rev limiter stock?

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by xr4junkie View Post
    For some reason I thought the 350x didn’t have a rev limiter stock?
    Heck, it may not. I know their site says "Rev Limiter Removed" and I though I've heard this warning from others about this replacement. May not be an issue for you either way.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //