//ArrowChat Code

Thread: crazy 1983 200m

--

crazy 1983 200m

I have a 1983 [?] Honda 200M that is driving me nuts. It will not cold start if you touch the throttle or choke. It acts too lean but the choke doesn't help at all. You just have to turn over [electric start] forever and maybe diddle the throttle slightly until it will start and keep idling then give it gas and it will be fine and start instantly and run perfectly the rest of the day. When it's freezing this is almost hopeless. Carb has been off and cleaned four times and checked for vacuum leaks to intake. Has plastic float level deal which seems not adjustable but somehow I think it must need to be richer at cold start. Choke does nothing? I'm badly missing something but no idea what. - Any thoughts?

--
    Most of my carb issues are really valve issue. Adjust the valves, check the timing, it could be a tooth off, clean the rotor, put in a new plug. And retest, sounds like the carb is not the issue.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    First check the compression , if it’s not 100psi plus it will struggle to start .
    Can try a little starter fluid when it’s acting up , this will let you know if it’s carburetor related .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--

crazy 200 M

Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    First check the compression , if it’s not 100psi plus it will struggle to start .
    Can try a little starter fluid when it’s acting up , this will let you know if it’s carburetor related .
    Actually was going to give it a shot of either tomorrow just to see if it was possible to cold start with throttle partially open like it has for years. Valves set, comp good, not sure about timing. Will reply back tomorrow, going to be 0 Celsius tonight so will be a good test. - thanks

--
    It sounds like the valves could be just a skosh too tight...?

I always prefer the 'is always doing this' to the 'it's supposed to do this'. Much easier to track down a noise than an absence of noise.

Good luck
    I may be old, but I still enjoy the feeling
    of the earth rotating beneath my wheels

--
    I gave it a shot of starting fluid directly into the carb intake with the throttle one quarter open this morning [-2 Celsius] and it started instantly and ran perfectly. Apart from re checking the carb to cylinder for a leak where is the most likely place in the carb to check? - see first post. The carb has been cleaned with air but not soaked about three times and once a mechanic put part of a carb kit in it. Doesn't seem like anyway to increase float level. Choking to start does nothing but once it's running it has effect. It will start instantly now for the rest of the day. - I'm sure someone will know....I hope.

--
    I would purchase a shindy carburetor kit and just go threw the carburetor completely also making sure to remove the needle jet holder to make sure that’s clean .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    If it runs fine once warmed up, and the choke seems to work as well once warmed up, it's more than likely NOT the carb. Spark, compression, timing, valves

--
    It doesn't need to warm up....just start at cold idle. Even in the summer if cold it will not start if you touch the throttle or give it any choke. Then when it does start to idle most times a quick little throttle blip and it's away for the day. If it's spark, timing, compression, or valves how does one tiny puff of ether cure everything? This means the gas is there just can't be sucked in or ignited? Not even choked in summer? Any other ideas.

--
    The ether works because you're spraying a highly explosive gas directly into the intake. It will ignite even with a very weak spark. The choke will not work well with a leaky or worn engine because it needs a strong vacuum signal to pull the gas out of the bowl and into the carb and then suck it into the engine. Once the engine is running there is enough suction to pull gas in when you close the choke.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldigger View Post
    The ether works because you're spraying a highly explosive gas directly into the intake. It will ignite even with a very weak spark. The choke will not work well with a leaky or worn engine because it needs a strong vacuum signal to pull the gas out of the bowl and into the carb and then suck it into the engine. Once the engine is running there is enough suction to pull gas in when you close the choke.
    Thank you - it's making more sense now and I will do some more checking. thanks again.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //