//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Chain Guide vs. Chain Fit

--

Chain Guide vs. Chain Fit

Hi all,

While reassembling things on my wife's 85 110 recently I ran into a strange fitment issue. Try as I might, I could not get the chain to feed around the front sprocket properly. It should have been easy! I was using the '85 chain guide of course, which has a bend in it that fits into the case. Well, under perfect conditions it does. The guide is made from some pretty soft steel if you ask me, and the end of it is pretty easily 'reshaped' by chain mishap. Because of that I have no real way to tell if the contour is still the way it's supposed to be. I have an '84 nearby but I didn't want to disassemble that guy for a comparison looksee. I was feeling lazy.

After fighting it for a while, trying to figure out what the chain was binding against, I wondered if the chain itself might be contributing to the issue. It seemed unlikely, being both of the chains are #428 like they're supposed to be. Then I compared them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7483.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	268454

Well, the new chain (JT Sprockets HDR) is considerably beefier than the wannabe that I replaced, so that was definitely staying put. In resignation I chose to leave the guide completely out and move on. That's when I remembered I had one from an '82 in a box somewhere. I dug it out hoping to compare shapes, but found it do be different than the '85 part. I held it in place and found it to be exactly what I needed. It popped right in like it was made for it. (Well, technically I guess it was).

The '85 uses this version (#17 below)

Name:	FRAME, WIRE HARNESS.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	268455

While the '82 uses this version (#8 below):

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-26 07.43.36.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	268456

While there is no 'case guard' benefit extending into the case like there was originally, it fills the opening to keep crap out at least.

Is it typical for the newer chain guide to be a 'barely fit' type of part? What do most of you do with these guys?
    I may be old, but I still enjoy the feeling
    of the earth rotating beneath my wheels

--
    Good observation Rick. Is the new chain a O ring chain perhaps? We’ve had our share of pain in the arse chain feeding for sure. One easy way to feed a chain is to leave the old in place and hook into the new and pull it through.

While reassembling things on my wife's 85 110 recently I ran into a strange fitment issue. Try as I might, I could not get the chain to feed around the front sprocket properly. It should have been easy! I was using the '85 chain guide of course, which has a bend in it that fits into the case. Well, under perfect conditions it does. The guide is made from some pretty soft steel if you ask me, and the end of it is pretty easily 'reshaped' by chain mishap. Because of that I have no real way to tell if the contour is still the way it's supposed to be. I have an '84 nearby but I didn't want to disassemble that guy for a comparison looksee. I was feeling lazy.

After fighting it for a while, trying to figure out what the chain was binding against, I wondered if the chain itself might be contributing to the issue. It seemed unlikely, being both of the chains are #428 like they're supposed to be. Then I compared them:

Name:	IMG-7483.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	268454

Well, the new chain (JT Sprockets HDR) is considerably beefier than the wannabe that I replaced, so that was definitely staying put. In resignation I chose to leave the guide completely out and move on. That's when I remembered I had one from an '82 in a box somewhere. I dug it out hoping to compare shapes, but found it do be different than the '85 part. I held it in place and found it to be exactly what I needed. It popped right in like it was made for it. (Well, technically I guess it was).

The '85 uses this version (#17 below)

Name:	FRAME, WIRE HARNESS.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	268455

While the '82 uses this version (#8 below):

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-26 07.43.36.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	268456

While there is no 'case guard' benefit extending into the case like there was originally, it fills the opening to keep crap out at least.

Is it typical for the newer chain guide to be a 'barely fit' type of part? What do most of you do with these guys?[/QUOTE]
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Nope, it's' not an o-ring chain. I would hate feeding one of those too. This one was easy to feed (once I removed the obstruction) using my screwdriver 'pushing' technique (patent pending).
    Last edited by Rick1956; 10-26-2021 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
    I may be old, but I still enjoy the feeling
    of the earth rotating beneath my wheels

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //