//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 83 big red electrical diagnostic help

--

83 big red electrical diagnostic help

Hello all,
    I just picked up an 83 big red. And I'm having a spark issue. I can only get it to spark intermently. I can go out and push the start button till the battery dies and not get one spark. Then go back to it after the battery is charged and it will fire the second I press the button. When it does start and run, sometimes it will run for 30 seconds sometimes it will run for an hour or more.

My question is what is moet lilly the problem? And how do I test to verify?

Thanks,

--
    Intermittent is tough. If you can get it to idle for an extended period of time, try wiggling any electrical harnesses such as where they enter the engine case, at the switches, cdi, coil, connectors, etc. Move them one location at a time and see if the bike dies or looses spark. This could help locate which part to check. Does it have no spark when hot? Electronics can break down with heat but work when cold (until they die fully). Otherwise, ohm out each switch, each coil in the engine, ignition coil etc. I had a bike once that did the same thing and it ended up being a broken wire where it entered the engine inside the harness. It had been bent too many times so it sometimes made a connection and ran great, and other times didn't. Ohm out the ignition coil since it's easy. The good thing is when it is running, everything is working which means you are close. Check the ground connections too.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //