//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Would colder weather cause no start on the 200 motor?

--

Would colder weather cause no start on the 200 motor?

I have 2 trikes from 1984, a 200M and a 200ES. Both have recently not started and I'm thinking the colder weather here in Ga may have been a factor.

The 200M I've had for about 8 years. She smokes a little and it loud, thinking rings or something but she's always started and ran all day when i need. but just last week i went to try to sell it and it would die at idle, I increased the idle speed and it worked for a little bit but i know that's just a bandaid. Now it'll stay alive if i pump the throttle bit dies after that. This one's for sale and I'm not super concerned since worst case I have parts for my ES.

The 200ES I just bought a few weeks ago. This one ran great and nice and quiet and started on the first pull. The plan is to keep this one for yard maintenance. It's been a couple weeks since starting it and now I can't get the slightest rumble out of it. I yanked on that thing all day and also tried jumping it off my truck. Still not coming alive and it's so weird because she started so easy just a few weeks ago.

For the ES does this sound like a common carb adjustment due to coming into colder time of year? I'm thinking of starting with gas tank flush and make sure the carb is getting fuel, new plug, and take the carb off to clean, etc. but if it's just the temperature maybe it's not all necessary.. also the bottom screw on the carb doesn't turn either way. is it safest to turn it back out of I put more muscle into it?

I appreciate any help or ideas
    '84 200M
    '84 200ES

--
    The cooler weather probably has nothing at all to do with your trikes running. On the 200M, I would try checking the valve clearances. On the ES, the first thing that I would do is to check for spark. If it's an electrical issue, an electrical part can seem to work just fine and then it's bad the very next time that you try to start it. That doesn't matter if it's been 5 minutes or 5 months. Start with the easiest thing first, then move on from there.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    You shouldn't have to adjust your carb because of a change in temp, particularly down where you are. My 200 S will start from 100 down to about 0, but I have had it start when it's colder, it just takes a few more pulls. Much colder than 0 and I push it in the garage for an hour or so first.

First make sure you have spark like 350 said, then I'd move on to fuel supply issues.

When was the last time the carbs on those machines were cleaned? How about cleaned really good? I'm not talking just blasting out jets with a can of carb cleaner, I'm talking pulling the complete cab apart and thoroughly cleaning EVERYTHING, then installing new gaskets and o-rings?

That would be my process for figuring it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Lil shot of starter fluid ... emphasize little.... usually does the trick when sitting for a while or if its cold.
    '85 ATC350X - "Showgirl" '86 OEM plastics/Fork boots, Rear Axle/Rotor/Hubs, Hondaline Fender stabalizer/extender, Speedo/Tach, Tank cover.
    '86 ATC350X - 'Go-Go Girl'
    '82 ATC250R - 'California Girl' - Progressive springs F and R, Hondaline HL Guard, Fairing and Speedometer.
    '82 ATC250R -'Snow Bunny' Ice Racer, Very Clean, Hondaline Fairing, custom FT tire, will put in the 300R motor
    '70 US90 'Ol'Girl" - Aquarius Blue... all original seat and tires. Resto project in the future
    '85 ATC250ES-'Workin' Girl' CMP Footguard, Hondaline Mudflaps, Speedo, HL Lens, Block Heater, Work Light, Foot Peg Covers and Cooler Rack
    '85 ATC70 - All Original

'84 Yamaha 225DX - Durablue +3" axle, DR motor, New Plastics, Foot, Hand and HL Guards.
    '85 Yamahauler - Gun Rack & 'Nerf Bars'
    '85 Yamahauler - Nearly together and restored
    '83 Suzuki ALT125 - Pieces
    '89 Suzuki LT-4WD - Token Golf Cart

--
    Many times when problems arise they aren't what they seem and are just a coincidence.

Maybe you just got some bad gas or is was darn near bad last time you bought some. Bad gas will cause a hard start, a need to increase the idle, and problems with engine acceleration.

I've had modern gas go bad in a month, which was probably near bad before arriving at the station or got that way once there because it was the higher octane which typically sells less. I just had a 7+ month real world comparison of stabilized gas and non stabilized gas. The stabilized E0 in a ATC started on the first pull and idled within a few seconds off choke. Yes world, a 200S started on the first pull after 7+ months with properly treated E0 fuel, adding to that it's an oil burner. The non stabilized fuel (probably E10 also) ATC started in 10-15 pulls and wouldn't run worth a toot off of choke. Draining the tank and fresh E0 fuel in that one cleared it up considerably.
    Last edited by ATC King; 11-11-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //