//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350X Running Too Rich? Need Help

--

350X Running Too Rich? Need Help

Hey guys! I have been following this group ever since I picked up a 200X this summer. I have fortunately (unfortunately for my wife) fallen into the trap of loving these things. I just picked up a 1986 350X that is in great condition. I will try to post some pictures soon. Anyways, the 350 has been sitting for a while and the previous told me he rebuilt the carb with a true rebuild kit before I got it.

Here is the issue, when I do a cold start it smokes. It is a white smoke but it does not smell at all like oil (heavy exhaust fume smell). I do not have to use the choke to get it started. I actually really cant, if I do it will sputter and die instantly. After about 30 seconds smoke clears but still wont idle. I have to consistently nurse the throttle. Once warmed up completely i have gotten it to idle. To me it isnt a smooth idle. Jumps around some.

When I rev it high (over 1/2 throttle) and stay on the gas it will randomly sputter some and then puff out some smoke... Again it does not smell anything like burning oil (my 200 has leaky valve seals so I know what burning oil smells like). Spark plug does show black with carbon, not wet though.

Where do you think I should start? Keep backing out the air fuel screw? I have that set at about 2 turns.. Move the E-Clip on the needle up to make it more lean? Bump down my jetting? Airbox lid is already off.

Or just get a 400ex carb and not waste my time with anything else?

Thank you for the help. I am still new to ATCs and previously I have had fuel injected toys...

--
    Turn the idle up high enough so it will idle on it’s own , then fine tune the air fuel screw in and out for the best highest idle , reset the idle screw and your done .
    A lot of things factor in setting the air fuel like exhaust, altitude, air filter exc, that’s why their is no exact setting numbers when tuning the idle circuit .
    That is the proper way to adjust an idle circuit .
    The needle adjustment is for 1/4 to about half throttle so it shouldn’t have anything to do with your idle .
    Last edited by shortline10; 11-15-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Thank you... I will have to continue to mess with it because it is still getting way too much fuel at start-up. half choke for one kick. take that off and kick with a little throttle it fires right up (just smokes white/grey really rich smelling) for the first 15-20 seconds. I will let you know what i find, thanks!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //