//ArrowChat Code
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 207wheelin View Post
    I use that Copper sealing spray on the head gasket and the base gasket where the cylinder meets the block.
    I don't believe I've ever used that before. Thanks for the tip.....I'm going to go out and get some.

For that cover I will use hondabond......which to my understanding is the same as yamabond, etc..

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

--
    The exhaust came in for $151 shipped. I remember the good old days when there was no tax on Ebay....this would have been $138 or something.

It's stock and usable with a little rust here and there but will be chemically removed with ease.

ATC King is correct.......the exhaust ate my lunch at $212 for both parts. One of those loud DG exhaust systems could have been purchased for about $60 more new.

Since this thing will just be used for putting around I'm not interested in performance.....I am interested in reliability. Reliability in running...reliability with easy starting and being dependable. Hopefully bringing things closer to original stock specs will accomplish this.

With the $151 for the muffler that brings my total to $1086.

Getting close to the $1500 budget.

--
    Good job on keeping it under your budget so far, but if you go over, you won't be able to buy cool vintage stickers. You know, the kind that were sold through advertisements in the back of magazines back then. A lot of non PC ones though...like if it's got tits or tires it's trouble. I think a good ol' Buckwheat decal belongs on a trike, maybe ballanced out with a Alfalfa one on the opposite side. Even better if they seem to be looking at each other.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Good job on keeping it under your budget so far, but if you go over, you won't be able to buy cool vintage stickers. You know, the kind that were sold through advertisements in the back of magazines back then. A lot of non PC ones though...like if it's got tits or tires it's trouble. I think a good ol' Buckwheat decal belongs on a trike, maybe ballanced out with a Alfalfa one on the opposite side. Even better if they seem to be looking at each other.
    The non-PC ones are the best!

I don't believe I'll be into the motor for anything more than say $50....I hope. If that's the case and everything else goes to plan I should be fine.

I would love new front springs and a new seat cover. The springs will probably have to wait.

--
    Getting things done slowly. These timing caps are gross and perhaps unsalvageable.

I'll need to source something else as they want an arm and a leg for them. Maybe I can get them a little better.

--
    The 86-87 200x caps should also fit your case cover. Benefit of those is they are hex wrench and don't get all messed up like the slotted ones.

--
    There's a plethora of aftermarket timing caps available.

I don't know what sizes the 200X uses, but just typing in 'Honda ATV timing caps' on Amazon or Ebay will bring a whole lot of them up.

Here's some plain-Jane ones for a TRX300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30276621368...gAAOSwFFZbHHdB

Here's some super cheap ones on Amazon that look similar to OE: https://www.amazon.com/Acouto-Engine...ps%2C82&sr=8-8

--
    A hex head would be perfect.

The picture doesn't do it justice but the cardinal red is a very close match if not a match..…. that's what's going to be used. It may be a closer match once a light clear is applied.

The silver argent will be for the swinger.

--
    @knappyfeet - Just wanted to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. It's quite inspiring to see what a difference you can make with some patience and a few new parts while still maintaining a budget. I'm doing something very similar with my Big Red 250es. Keep up the great work!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    The Kenda Scorpion tires were a good choice. They look nice on the 200X.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by psujeepguy View Post
    It's quite inspiring to see what a difference you can make with some patience and a few new parts while still maintaining a budget.
    Thank you.

Or how thrifty you can get trying to maintain that budget.

I spent way too much time on these timing covers/caps..... But I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on a big expense. So with the budget in mind I try to make everything work. Getting new covers isn't a deal breaker but $30 here and $30 there and $30 everywhere becomes a $100 quickly....... and at a $1500 budget there's not a lot of wiggle room where I'm at now.

Also this thing is in no real hurry to get done. It spent 15+ years outdoors rotting away… what's another year indoors to get it cleaned up and operating properly… those are my thoughts.

I can't really get those caps any better… especially the smaller one. The stater cover housing has a nice shifter print ground away in the material.. It doesn't need a new one so I just painted over it and pretended like it's not there.

--
    Boy I hope this doesn't take another year to get running. Not after all of the work you've put into it so far.

--
    The trike is looking great that red looks really close I have some spots on my 83 200x around the air box that I have wanted to touch up for a while I'll have to give that a shot. I just got done with my 84 auto x I went a little over budget but I'm pretty happy with it. It came with a white frame/swing arm so I just touched up the white. I'm not too keen on it but for a rider I'll scratch anyway plus not having to strip the frame/ swing arm it's fine. Sure you can buy one for about what you'll have into it but you can put it together how you want and you know it's put together right.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    19?? Motorcraft Three wheeler
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

My suspended ATC185s build thread.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-Build-Thread

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Boy I hope this doesn't take another year to get running. Not after all of the work you've put into it so far.
    I hope it doesn't either but it might. I already got it running the day before Christmas…. ran it through 10 heat cycles before I decided to go any further. I posted a video of it. The head gasket was the worst leak but they all started to seep. Unlike 2nd generation 200Xs the 1st generation needs to have the motor removed to do any headwork. At that point I figured what the heck… just go through the whole thing and button it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper055 View Post
    The trike is looking great that red looks really close I have some spots on my 83 200x around the air box that I have wanted to touch up for a while I'll have to give that a shot.
    Thank you.

Yes that Duplicolor cardinal red… I think it's a Ford color.. is a pretty darn good match if not already a match. I have a picture somewhere in this thread of the cap with the paint number for reference. You can buy it straight from or O'Reilly's or Autozone or you can go to your paint shop and have them mix you up a batch. Probably half the cost if that of Honda passion red from Color Right.

--
    What's a good paint stripper out there?

Hats off to Hondas powder coaters 40 years ago.....that coating is on there.

I use to use Dad's Paint Remover and it was the best I've ever used. Can't find it locally…. not even on Amazon or Walmart. com......only Kleen strip or environmentally friendly stuff that can't remove Krylon paint from glass.

I like to use paint stripper on small little parts I can't take the pressure washer to or larger parts that I CAN take the pressure washer to that makes it quicker and easier to remove stuff in tight crevices.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //