//ArrowChat Code
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    paint stripper is now what is use to be, have it blasted anything else is just wasting hours of ones life we don't get back. Kleen strip changed ingredients about 3-4 years ago. Before that it use to really strip things.

--
    While everything was moving along nicely I forgot how everything was still frozen up… like these fasteners. The heads are rounded off on some. I decided to go back to step one and liberally apply WD40 to all the fasteners and let them sit overnight. Everything loosened up on top except one....which is really rounded. Tomorrow everything should be able to break free.....then get ready to remove the motor. If not another day/night of soaking and it should be it.

--
    These tappet covers came in today. Other than that and some slow going stripping nothings changed.

Been busy with my wife's 125 so in between doing things on that I just keep the stripper wet on a part and let it soak. A longer soaking works way better and since I'm working on other things I'm not just watching paint stripper strip. At work we use steel wool to about 50% so I bring home all the old and use it for stripping. Kinda messy but not as messy as the pressure washer shooting stuff all over.

And of course it doesn't need to be perfect........ just most of the stuff off.

$12 for the covers from China for a grand total so far of $1098

--
    It'd be so tempting to polish the cover at that stage, and maybe fill 'HONDA' with red, or even red, white, and blue.

Setting it up for an oil cooler would be tempting also.

How much is on your plate?

It's good you didn't set a labor budget.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    It's good you didn't set a labor budget.
    I know right?.....it's that large labor budget that keeps the fiscal budget at $1500. Hopefully.

This cb125 will get all the polishing. Once my wife outgrows it I will "bosozoku" it without "bosozokuing" it too much. No funny fairing probably but it will be outlandish.

Last edited by knappyfeet; 03-07-2022 at 01:16 AM.

--
    Got a couple of things done but not a lot going on. Motor is still in the frame. Weather here has been perfect for riding so chores/projects taking a back seat.

Still managed to get some covers painted.....and the clutch arm cleaned up a little. It looked as if somebody used a screwdriver with a and banged it. The clutch cable was frozen. Everything seems to move freely so I sanded it down a little bit before plating it.

It's a little bent as well but it's good enough.

--
    It's looking good.

Are you spraying the engine enamel sans primer?

I've done that a lot in the past and it's held up well and I just sprayed the magnesium stator cover on my bike without primer and hoping it holds up better than last time. I need to get it back together and none of the stores had high heat primer on the shelf.

I think last time I done it, I may have blasted the cover with walnut shells and the finish was too smooth, which didn't help the paint adhere at all. I done it with paint stripper and sandpaper this time (no glass beads in the blaster), but apparently didn't get some gunk off because it's got a few fisheyes in the fresh paint. I'm just going to wait until cured and dab some paint on the spots with a brush to see if that'll fix it. Ain't got the time to start over and a paint blemish or two isn't going to keep it from running.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Are you spraying the engine enamel sans primer?.
    Yes sir.

I give it three coats with the last coat being the heavier/wet coat.... Also seems to give it that powder coated look. I found that when I do that and then bake it in an oven it seems to be much more durable. All the paints say they resist oil and fuel but that's a load of caca....at least when you bake it you give the finish a fighting chance.

I'm not baking these parts however.

--
    I got this engine stand in today.

I remember seeing it in someone else's thread and thought how cool is that. I got this engine and then the cb125 … and about 80% sure I'm doing a little 90 2 smoke so I figured what the heck. In the past I would weld up some square tubing or nail up some 2X4s or something like that.....but this looks so neat. The flexibility of moving the engine around at different angles with ease was inviting. Heck it looks like you could turn it upside down.

It comes apart with ease for easier and more compact storing.

Hopefully it'll be put to use this weekend

--
    I was debating on whether to paint or not.

We used all of the remaining clear for a van project but went ahead and purchased a quart....specifically for a couple of side covers on another project and this. I will probably use 2 to 3 ounces on the side covers so the rest is for the frame and swingarm......which I'm guessing 8 ounces. Either way I'm attributing the cost to this project. I haven't purchased the base coat yet as I don't want it mixed and have it sit around for a while until I am ready… so when I'm ready I will purchase.

I'm guessing I'll purchase a half a pint as I can't see me using more than a half a quart sprayable on this frame.

Clear coat cost....$45.

Grand total so far $1143

--
    Nice stand.

For a heavier engine I feel a more "center" mounted position would be better.......better than mounting on the side. The 200x motor isn't heavy but it's not light either..... and since it can't be mounted to the lowest engine mounting position because of it's size it has to be mounted higher....more top heavy.

For a larger motor...400cc or something...fabricating some mounts for a more centered mount would be a must in my opinion.

Still I love it. It's holding fine but the rubber mallet just adds a tick more support.

--
    I think Yeagerb has one of those. Looks like the cats pajamas
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I think Yeagerb has one of those. Looks like the cats pajamas
    What's really cool about it is that I can tilt it to the side and get up close and personal with those gasket mating surfaces that otherwise....... would be not impossible to do.........but just a little cumbersome.. Plus the motor likes to be in that position because how it's mounted.

At that angle the bottom is "grody into the max"… I got some more cleaning to do.

--
    This came in last week for $25 shipped. I know.... "whoop de doo...whatever" ....but it's straight and a great deal at $25.

They don't look the same without a skid plate in my opinion. It still has all three rubber bumpers intact. It will need to be stripped and smoothed and painted but that's normal stuff.

Edit.....

$25 for the plate for a grand total of $1168

I can see $1500 right around the corner.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 03-26-2022 at 11:04 PM.

--
    I think that skid plate looks pretty good. It could be worse and require several hours of ing to smooth out the dents and weld up cracks. Probably couldn't find one in that condition at a better price either.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //