//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    I think that skid plate looks pretty good. It could be worse and require several hours of ing to smooth out the dents and weld up cracks. Probably couldn't find one in that condition at a better price either.
    I remember when I started this rescue prices were $60-100...on average for one. They've seem to have gone down in price but I was still patient.

Perhaps the market is being flooded with folks parting out old 200Xs thinking they hit a gold mine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
    Nice work nappyfeet and much respect! No offense, but I have to sometimes hide from your thread, lol.. As you're building one, I'm helping get rid of some X's and your thread makes me want to keep them.. Nothing wrong with being thrifty/money savy either, plus what I call 'polishing turds' which I've done my whole life is very rewarding. Again, that's nice work you do!

It's nice to cross paths with you as well, have fun and enjoy what you do!

Thanks man.

Your Nicholson build has me jealous. One came up on offerup not too long ago for like $700 or something totally complete. I was knee deep in this 200X and other projects so I passed. Not next time though.

Keep us posted on yours..... I can't wait to see the progress

--
    Normal 200x stuff going on here.

Rocker assembly looks good and tight and cleaned up nicely.

Pretty good carbon build up on the normal places.

--
    The weather's been great for riding so this poor little rescue is on the back burner. But every now and then I muster up enough gumption to piddle with something small.

Cleaned up the head. Going to lap the valves and paint it soon. Seats look good.

Also got some washers annealed and coated some fasteners.

Those cheapo tappet covers are going to work great

--
    I was feeling like this rescue is dead.....this thread is dead.... and my desire to finish was dead. It's summer and I forgot I had a 200 X apart in the garage so I decided to get a couple of nickle and dime stuff done.

Finished zincing the fasteners. Cleaned and painted the head. Cleaned and lapped the valves. I was hoping the valve seats would turn out better but the exhaust seat is pitted and yucky and toast. I reinstalled the valves and did the fill up the chambers with gas test and neither leaked.....so I feel good about that. It needs to be addressed …. but not right now.

I'll just wait for a new head to fall into my lap one day.

--
    Oh man! Don't forget about this 200X. We need to see it done (enough to ride). Could you take the head to a machine shop and have the valves and seats touched up?

--
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...8&dct=1&adurl=
    since it's apart, something like this to address the pits? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    I may do that 350.

Jim.....I've never used one of kits before....is it hard? I guess I could go to YTU or GU and watch some videos.

It would be a nice learning experience.

--
    Heck yes! Whatever you have to do. I'd hate to see you stop on this project just of something that could be taken care of fairly easily and somewhat inexpensively.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    I've used (don't own) the US name brand seat cutting kits but not any of the budget ones. Used them on car engines and they worked great. Any experience with the Chinesium seat cutters?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I had to go back and reread where I was at concerning this motor. I couldn't remember where it was compression wise or how easy it was (or was not) to start. I did this after pulling the cylinder off and inspecting the barrel and the piston only to find ordinary wear and buildup. Everything looked fine and after reading again it was an easy starter...in that 2 or 3 kicks from cold and 1 kick when warm. Then I thought.... "Why did I get into this motor?"....... only to remember all the leaky gaskets and seals, etc. I guess I didn't want to purchase new rings but for $30 why not.

Did another test on the valves with the gas in the chambers/port test........absolutely no leaks. It will do for now.

--
    Hey knappy, those rocker pads look pretty worn, 1 more than the other, may be just the photo.
    otherwise, its always a good thing to rering an engine while its torn down.
    looking good
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    Hey knappy, those rocker pads look pretty worn, 1 more than the other, may be just the photo.
    otherwise, its always a good thing to rering an engine while its torn down.
    looking good
    Well when Mr. C points something out it's like money in the bank and worth a second look.

It's something I never really thought about but it does look a little bit more worn than I thought. I tried to get better shots of it but it's hard to get a close up. I'll still use them but if I was going to go through the motor proper I would definitely replace them.

Thanks for pointing it out.

--
    All this talk about 200X's has me thinking about my clunker in the garage. Talk about new plastics and motors and this and that.......I can barley keep this pile at $1500 ...let alone anything else.

New rings came in....$30.

That brings my total invested so far to $1198.

Just inspecting the barrel before I go any further with it. It should be fine.

--
    That's nothing some Ajax, a dead cat, and a drill won't take care of.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //