//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    Is that kill switch full of sand? That's what it looks like from here.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Is that kill switch full of sand? That's what it looks like from here.

Don't forget about the spider too!
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Yes packed with sand.

Makes me wonder how much found its way into the inside of the motor over the years.

I was tempted to buy one of those cheap Chinese knock off switches on eBay for around 20 bucks.........

--
    I didn't even notice the spider. At least it's dead.

--
    Was hoping I could get by with just cleaning the carburetor and o-rings and such… just to see if it would run…….. but the gaskets and the o-rings are so hard/brittle they're coming off in chunks so a rebuild kit was ordered.

Checked bikebandit.com and looks like all the o-rings/gaskets were on back order.........then I checked eBay and there they were. The jets and such could be reused but I went ahead and ordered a Shindy kit anyways..… which comes with all the o-rings/jets/needle screws/needle/springs/etc.. They're made in Japan and I've used their kits before.

Painted a few more tidbits with the Dupli-Color semi gloss engine paint I have leftover from other projects. In fact I had 2 cans left over. One is almost gone so the other will be used for the fork lowers and the foot pegs. I let the parts sit in phosphoric acid. Depending on much rust & paint is present...usually overnight is enough soaking to practically remove everything. Some heavier powder coatings could get a day or 2 more.

That method also works well on chrome pieces that are rusted in spots… as the phosphoric acid will get the rust out but not damage the chrome....usually.

--
    The kill switch was time consuming.

Everything was stuck and yucky. Took each individual toggle switch apart and now everything works just fine.....complete continuity, etc.. I unfortunately lost one of the small little ball bearings and spent an hour looking for it. Just when I was about to purchase one on eBay I thought about one of the socket holders. Took it apart.......perfect size. They were socket holders that I bought at Dollar Tree awhile back (now everything there $1.25). I'll probably buy a bag of them on eBay for future projects…...an assortment of various sizes.

Even painted the kill switch with leftover paint from my El Camino.

On to some other tasks now as I await my carburetor rebuild kit

--
    what year is your el camino? jim

edited the post, pic of my old 66 with a trike project. if you can look at my old posts from the last 15 years, you'll see a ton of pics of my 68 el camino hauling all sorts of trikes. jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180628_160525.jpg  
    Last edited by Jim mac; 12-17-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Cleaning switchgear is a little time consuming and those small parts tend to disapper, but it's just about more of a maintenance issue than a repair. They're not sealed, get used a lot, and all kinds of crud ends up in them.

There's been a lot of people who've had engine troubles that were actually just problems in a switch. Good that you tackled that now instead of later.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Good job on the bucket and the switch!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    It's a 72 with a 71 front end.

It sat in the garage forever......just recently we've decided to take it out more and fix problems that develop/ present themselves. We plan on taking it on a trip up-and-down the coast. For now we're just doing short drives and runs so we can't find all the gremlins and address them. They come up pretty frequently but we've addressed them every time… fuel and evap lines, pinion seals, oil leaks, suspension issues, etc..

We had intellectronics gauges that weren't functioning properly or displaying properly and the company replaced them free of charge. Lifetime warranty. Made in America....in Ohio.

One picture was with me and my wife on date night. We were just looking at the skyline and drinking Coors Light and smoking Swisher Sweets.

When we go riding our old bikes we like to use the elco...… just kind of completes that 70s vibe.

--
    Looking good Knappy feet!:thumbs up
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Thanks guys.

I went ahead and re adjusted the kickstart lever to where I think it originally would be. I then added a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder…. kicked it a few times to get it nice and lubricated throughout.

After I kicked it about 10 times the max psi was 100. I did this procedure about 2 or 3 more times and 100 was the consensus. I can get 110 psi after 20 kicks.

First test was around 70 psi.......so with a jump of 30 psi....even with the kick start lever being better positioned I'm assuming a top end may be warranted. This is all with the understanding that this Harbor freight compression tool with the long extension gives erroneous readings on small displacement engines. Even with it being wrong a 30 PSI swing is an indication.

I`m still going to attempt to get this to run as I would love to hear it run before I dove into the motor….. to hear all the rattles or slaps or pings or whatever.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post

edited the post, pic of my old 66 with a trike project. if you can look at my old posts from the last 15 years, you'll see a ton of pics of my 68 el camino hauling all sorts of trikes. jim
    Love your El Camino!

--
    thanks, unfortunately a moment of insanity and I sold it. I love the 71 grille and turn signals. we had a 71 for a little while too, and a 64, 67, 69, 70, and a 72. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Still waiting for the shindy kit to come in. Took apart the carburetor and cleaned some of the innards but most of that stuff won't be reused.

Change the oil and put in 33 oz of the best oil money can buy… SuperTech. Drained nearly 80 oz out.....2 1/2 quarts. And I was worried the engine would be dry of oil.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //