//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    i use OEM 400ex mufflers on alot of machines. They are still semi cheap flow ok and don't make a lot of noise. If you want aluminum stuff i just use take off OEM dirt bike mufflers. Those guys chase every bit of HP and for what at full throttle. I scored a KX450F one of a 2020 for $65, welded up a mid pipe and bam new nice muffler looks cool sounds good done.

--
    I guess I love punishment........ starting to clean up the tank shrouds. Not so bad just a little brown and luckily not that big ...... but still a pain.

Clutch cable came in for $10...for a grand total of $756 so far. Still waiting for $75 more in parts. Not counting a muffler......off the top of my head I have another $150 at least.....gasket set, rear master, chain, etc.

I would love to rebuild the front end with new fork seals, springs, etc....... They are not leaking now but probably will when I start to use it.

--
    You're actually saving it in as OEM condition as you can and putting a whole lot of labor into it.

If someone was to pay for that it'd be way on up there, but also worth it as it's being saved as much as possible.

Good work and keep it up. It'll be interesting what you come up with for a muffler. The idea of using a dirt bike or modern quad OE take-off sounds good.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    You're actually saving it in as OEM condition as you can and putting a whole lot of labor into it.

If someone was to pay for that it'd be way on up there, but also worth it as it's being saved as much as possible.

Good work and keep it up. It'll be interesting what you come up with for a muffler. The idea of using a dirt bike or modern quad OE take-off sounds good.
    Thank you.

I've found on small...."gotten for cheap " projects they always seem to nickel-and-dime you. Since I didn't get this on the cheap the nickel-and-diming me adds up. Anybody can get anything running but to make it reliable and operate properly that's time consuming and costly

--
    The head pipe came in today. It looks usable just a little dirty........ but structurally it's great. Smaller diameter than whatever was on there before. I was hoping to maybe use the muffler or at least have the option but no. Still satisfied.

Now to find that used can of Por 15 exhaust paint….. Icing on the cake

This cost me $61 shipped.... Which brings my grand total to $817

--
    pretty sure POR15 isn't UV stabilized, that's why it's used for frames and stuff not exposed to sunlight. ji
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    pretty sure POR15 isn't UV stabilized, that's why it's used for frames and stuff not exposed to sunlight. ji
    You may be correct.

Here's a picture of my 85 and the exhaust painted with Por 15. It held up really nicely until I sold it. I've found spray painting exhausts with any paint holds up better on smaller displacement engines than on larger ones. My DR650 would be would burn through any kind of exhaust paint within the 1st month… I'm assuming it ran hotter.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

--
    The new grips came in today and finishing up removing the rust from the handlebars in the throttle section....it was very heavy.

Probably gonna forego this clutch perch and purchase one on eBay with just a single cable........ to clean it up and get better lever action.

$13 for the grips brings my total to $830.

I think ATC king is right...... Finding a muffler that's not beat to crap is probably gonna eat my lunch.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    My DR650 would be would burn through any kind of exhaust paint within the 1st month… I'm assuming it ran hotter.k
    If it's the last generation DR650, that may have been because the OEM head pipe is stainless, along with the muffler. I know they came painted black and some later ones were bare stainless, but whatever paint/coating/process Suzuki used to make them black is probably better than the majority of paint that's normally available to the consumer.

I like oldskools suggestion of useing a modern dirt bike or quad OE take-off muffler. I haven't checked Ebay for that specifically, but many times they're still too proud of them. Dang stupid mufflers aren't magic for stock engines, but the prices say otherwise.

On that lever with a brake light switch, a cheap way to create a brake light function with stock lighting is to run a resistor to drop the voltage on the main wire and dim the normal tail light, then use the switch to bypass that for full illumination. It was a cheap trick for dirt bikes back years ago so the OE housing and light were still used without modification because it gives a brake light funtion to a single fillament bulb.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-14-2022 at 11:53 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    I like oldskools suggestion of useing a modern dirt bike or quad OE take-off muffler. I haven't checked Ebay for that specifically, but many times they're still too proud of them. Dang stupid mufflers aren't magic for stock engines, but the prices say otherwise.
    I've found that as well.

I'm just going to surrender to the fact that if I want a clean usable one that is not all dented up and incomplete......that I'm going to pay for it. Time is on my side so I'm in no hurry.

As seized up and faded and neglected as this trike was.....most of all it is straight and not really banged up..... and I wanna keep it that way.

The handlebars are finished. I straightened them out the best I can, then I chemically removed the paint…. addressed the rust and applied what left over red paint I had. It's not quite enough because I didn't have enough but it's kind of hard to tell as it came out ok.
    It could have used another coat but not worth buying a can for. The paint is Dupli-Color Cardinal red and it's pretty dang close to passion red.

Fork covers came in. $22 .......which brings my grand total so far to $855.

--
    Those handlebars look pretty good to me.

--
    You might have a budget in mind to 1st get the bike running and going but it wont stop. You will find this, and that or oh that screws stripped lets replace with something stainless then it goes down the line. In this day and age of crazy over priced toys only build it if you willing to keep it. If your a flipper like all these kids who see the you-tube morons do stick to the budget. Best bet if buy more of the, part them end up getting yours free or having it pay you. It makes its easier to tell a wife all this machine cost me nothing at all.

--
    everyone should build that "keeper" trike. and a 200x would be a great build and a keeper. On your muffler, if you plan on keeping the trike for the long haul, they say buy once cry once. Use the muffler you have, get it running and decide if the trikes worthy of a brand new muffler and pipe later. jim
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    You will find this, and that or oh that screws stripped lets replace with something stainless then it goes down the line.
    This exactly.

Here's a couple pictures of the engine showing where it was spray painted. They spray painted over the fins and you can see paint in places where it shouldn't be and it's flaking up in other places. Now I never wanted to spray paint the engine/frame/swing arm/tank/etc….. but now my logic is..." Well if I have the engine apart already I might as well give it a coat of engine paint". This is primarily because other places were painted and started to make look pretty. Pretty soon the fasteners aren't good enough….. now its time to get out the Caswell kit and purchase $300 worth of chromates… now the entire project is $3000+ because I'm looking at new Maier plastics. It's a slippery slope and I'm sliding down it .....out of control.

Mr. Mac..... although this is not going to stay with me till the day I die I pretty much would consider it a keeper for now. The only reason I got it was to save it and to a degree.....save the memories of it. All the kids that used to ride it now have kids of their own and probably couldn't care less about it...… but at least in my mind I still hold on to some of those memories.

There seems to be a pretty decent muffler on eBay right now… look semi complete but it's $180. I've learned long ago that things pop up on eBay all the time so again I'm in no hurry…. especially considering this sat out in the elements left for dead for 15 years......what's another year or so.

--
    at least you have a usable muffler and a 200x has a decent resale when your ready to sell it. my 185s came with a perfect seat pan but no foam. in the end just because I decided the trike was going to be my keeper, I opted for a hi flite seat kit. almost $200 bucks (158 plus shipping). it was worth the one time cash outlay even though a 185s really isn't worth very much locally. jim
    81 185s
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    1982? 185s

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //