//ArrowChat Code
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    Since I'm waiting for the electrolyte to come in, I cleaned up the triple of all the grease, etc.. That lower yoke was gross. The surface finish is rough and corroded, and I have to figure out if I want to paint it black because it would be easier..... or attempt to sand it a little and clear it. Seams like it would take awhile to sand the surface...... and I want to save my sanding fingers for that nightmare of a job...the rear fender.

That Honda badge is driving me nuts. I see a seller on ebay selling them for $30+tax+shipping.

I guess you got to pay for swag.

--
    I sanded mine and polished it. It came out nice. It's time consuming

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I sanded mine and polished it. It came out nice. It's time consuming
    Yours came out nice.

I don't know if I want to commit to that much sanding though.

I may it just give it a half ass sand job then clear it and call it a day. Even a half ass job has got to look better than it does now.

--
    I had a broken finger when I did mine. Had about 12hrs into it. Sand blast. Paint black.

--
    Back in business. Eastwood kit came in today. I order the entire kit as just the anode and electrolyte was nearly $95. The entire kit shipped to me was $115 with tax. I'm going to attribute half of the cost....say $60 to this project. This kit will be used for other projects in the future however the reason I purchased it now was to finish zincing fasteners on this 200X..... hence attributing half the cost to this. Ironically there's not much more to zinc on this trike.....I'm guessing I've already done about 80% of the hardware.

$1397 + $60 = $1457.

It's clear I'm going to be going over my budget. The only solace I have is that I really didn't need to go over it. I elected to do more to the bike than it needed.

--
    Wow. The new electrolyte makes a massive difference.

It's building up so quick at 2V that I'm going to have to use the power supply and the air pump. Maybe 1V and a little air for the small pieces.

It's good to have this problem......just need to fine tune the it.

--
    The only thing I've done to this 200X in the last couple of weeks is plate these 2 tank mounting bolts.

At this rate it will never get done. I need to speed it up a bit before summer hits full bore and nothing gets done.

--
    Working on the swingarm bolt/hardware.

I don't know what it's called but when I leave a part in a rust removing solution for extended periods of time it tends to turn everything black.....like it's pulling out carbon from the metal or something. Rust-oleum rust remover or even Evaporust... if I let things set overnight, things get darker. Sometimes rust isn't removed in 30 minutes, so a longer soaking is needed, but I wonder about the darkening.

I let the items sit in the hydrochloric acid overnight. It doesn't remove the rust as quick as say the Rust-oleum product does, but there's no darkening. I'm just reminded of an old college professor I had that taught at SDSU..... he worked on one of the Apollo programs back in the day, and he introduced to me "chemical milling."" It was interesting to me how he explained the methods they used for milling, shaping, etc. metal for the aerospace industry using cocktails of chemicals, temperatures, and stuff like that. Long story short, I am curious if my prolonged soakings in hydrochloric acid is damaging the part or "milling" it to a degrees. I know it "pickles" it, but beyond that, I don't know.

There's some pitting and damage from rust on these items, but they are still usable.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I don't know what it's called but when I leave a part in a rust removing solution for extended periods of time it tends to turn everything black.....like it's pulling out carbon from the metal or something
    I'll answer my own question.....it's called "carbon migration"

Actually it's interesting. I just spent the last couple of hours researching carbon migration and carbon mediation and different types of acids and combinations and cocktails....all of which I know nothing about. The guys doing knives and swords seem to really be in "the know" with all of this.

I just don't want to F-up some metal parts. I did learn that the acid concentrate of my solution....along with its additives doesn't pose a serious threat to most of the metal I work with.

--
    the pitting will improve grease retention, so that is an upgrade, lol

kleen strip concrete and metal prep is phosphoric acid, and it removes rust well but leaves a dark surface on some metals . it can also remove cad plating . home depot has it

i have also used a strong mix of oxalic acid powder with water before.

vapor blasting is good for cleaning aluminum parts and leaving a nice finish on them.

in case you didn't know, automotive paint suppliers sell catalyzed clear in a spray can . it is much better than krylon clear etc.

the hydrochloric acid will not remove enough material to measure with any tool us regular people have

--
    I painted the frame.

No lifting...no bird's-eye....not bad for a "scratch n spray"

A little nat got stuck on the neck. Ran out of paint, so I will need to purchase more for the engine brackets.

Now to let it set for a week so it can harden up nicely.

--
    Nice job !
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Just remember, you can't see that gnat while you're riding it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Just remember, you can't see that gnat while you're riding it.
    I'll never be alone!

Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Nice job !
    Thank you.

While waiting for the paint to harden up I'll play with the triple a little more. I have no more than an hour into this with sanding. It already looks a lot better but it could look WAY better if I spent more time on it. I will probably put another hour or 2 into sanding it and call it a day

A little before and after comparisons. The pictures don't do justice to how much better just the hour of sanding has made to it. If seen in person, you would think it's good enough.

I'm thinking a new Honda badge would cover up the pitting.

--
    It improves my day when I sign on and see that this thread has been updated! Keep up the great work. I'm enjoying watching the progress.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //