//ArrowChat Code
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Honda 200X Rescue

--
    To go on or not to go on....that is the question.

Maybe it's just the time of year or maybe there's something in the air but I have right next to no desire to finish this project. I can remember when I was gun ho about...."saving some family history!" and " bringing this thing back to glory!" but that is all gone now.

I was reminded that I even had this project when family came over and went into the camper and asked "what's all this from?" My neice then replied...."I remember that thing!...can't wait to see you finish it!" That briefly gave me a little motivation but I'm going to need way more than that though. Right now I'm more tempted to part things out rather than finishing the project. I will clean the motor and get that all buttoned up but that may be it.

I don't know if anybody ever used these Nibbi coils but I have one extra from a previous project. Supposed to be a little hotter spark but who knows

We'll see how this goes after a little eggnog

--
    After all of this work, I'd hate to see you part it out. Sure, you blew your initial budget, but the work is all yours. ID you finish it and get to ride it around, that is worth more than the money that you'd get for parting it out in my opinion. Even if you don't want to touch it for a while, keep it inside, out of the weather and work on it again when you feel like it.

--
    problem parting it out now is you might get half your money back and end up with a trike that's missing a bunch of parts.
    it might make more sense to bolt it back together, get it running. at least you can ride it. But you'll kick yourself for not making everything nice while you had it apart. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    This is why I buy a bunch of toys and part them out so later the machine or parts are free. Let it sit a bit and resume it in spring.

--
    while I hate the idea of parting out a trike, I appreciate people that do so I can bring a project back from the dead. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    while I hate the idea of parting out a trike, I appreciate people that do so I can bring a project back from the dead. jim
    I couldn't agree more.

This is how the motor currently sits. Everything I do at this point will be cosmetic with the exception of replacing the seals and gaskets. Sometimes I wish I split the case so I can get a better clean and a better paint job......... that rod has too much play and who knows if the bottom of the cases are leaking… (I don't think they are)… but then I say thank God I didn't at this point.

And when I mean cosmetic I mean over everything and just clean everything up.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post

I don't know if anybody ever used these Nibbi coils but I have one extra from a previous project. Supposed to be a little hotter spark but who knows
    The problem with 'hotter' coils is on a stock or mostly stock engine the energy required to jump the plug gap is lower than required by even the stock coil. It only takes what it takes and nothing more. Without really high compression or artificial aspiration the spark plug doesn't need extra juice and won't use it.

The other issue is some 'hotter' coils may have the wrong winding ratio and produce an impressive spark in open air but won't in actual conditions. These engines aren't high revving in any sense and unless it's built for racing, with race fuel, even proven race coils are a waste and may even decrease stock performance, like a huge cam in a stock engine bleeding off cylinder pressure and raising the operating RPM to way above what the stock engine can handle, killing low end power. I've driven poorly assembled engines like that and they are miserable to experience, sometimes to the point that a stock engine was more powerful where needed and more enjoyable overall.

Besides all of that, keep trucking. Pick away at it until it's done. Small bites.
    Last edited by ATC King; 12-06-2022 at 10:28 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    The problem with 'hotter' coils is on a stock or mostly stock engine the energy required to jump the plug gap is lower than required by even the stock coil. It only takes what it takes and nothing more. Without really high compression or artificial aspiration the spark plug doesn't need extra juice and won't use it.
    I agree.

It said "racing" so I got impressed.

I purchased it from Amazon hoping it would solve a starting problem… only to find out the carburetor purchased from Amazon WAS the starting problem. So we purchased ANOTHER carburetor from Amazon and everything is fine now.

It's hit n miss with those cheap carburetors but sometimes it's your only reasonable option. In my case usually it's more hit than miss.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post

It said "racing" so I got impressed.

Ain't that the truth. After owning a scooter and moped, everything I try to find for it says 'racing'. That must be in the Amazon or Ebay title or it won't sell; apparently. I'm pretty certain I've seen a racing camshaft for a two cycle engine...

There's none of that nonsense in the bicycle world, it's just 'lightweight' instead.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    The barrel is all cleaned up, painted and honed.

The piston is cleaned up and new rings installed....... Both should be good for another 38 years of service.

Now off to the motor for some cleaning, etc.

--
    @knappyfeet - If it provides you with any bit of motivation, I have really enjoyed your thread on this build. You've inspired me to keep moving on some of my own projects and also to up my game to your level of work! Cheers!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    Thank you jeepguy.

Sometimes motivation is hard... especially when I look at that rear fender. That looks like it's going to take 2 years to get right. If there's any space in the budget.. which there probably will not be.. I would love a better rear fender or at least a better one to restore.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 12-17-2022 at 03:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell

--
    As I'm waiting for some paint stripper to loosen up some gaskets.... I scraped a little of the rear fender to see what kind of an uphill battle I'm in for. The front part of the fender isn't as bad as the rear so there's some consultation in that.

--
    $12.00 for another can of paint...... brings the total to $1210 invested. Boy paint has gone up in the last 2 years.

For now just letting the remainder of the oil drip out. Tomorrow will be a final clean of all surfaces....then new seals and then the masking of everything. It's going to be a halfass paint job but it will be better than nothing.

Going to try to get moving on this as another broke project may find its way here.

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Every time I go to the parts store for parts or supplies I shake my head at the cost increase. Its expensive staying busy! Glad to see you getting back into it Knappyfeet. If I ever get caught up with the vehicle projects I plan on taking a few weeks to finish some of my ATC projects.
    ✌207

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //