//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Suzuki LT80

--

Suzuki LT80

I got an LT80 in non running condition and put it aside for a later project. A couple days ago I rolled it into the shop to start working on it as something to break the monotony.

In all, it's been a bit of a pain to work on because of all the JIS screws. The impact drive has been getting a workout, and I've got several extracions left to do because I had to drill some of the screw heads off. Argh.

The deeper I get into it, the more it looks like it sat at the bottom of a pond.

20211204_130923_HDR.jpg20211204_130937_HDR.jpg

There's so many questionable parts that it's not even sensible to consider OEM replacements. If thing is to be saved I'm going to throw a Chinese matchbook at it and see what strikes.

Next in line for inspection is the cylinder and crank. The engine isn't completely seized, but it'll only go back and forth between a rough spot before stopping. Cylinder probably has a rust ring in it.

20211204_125511_HDR.jpg

At this point, the goal is only to get it running for the least $$ possible. If it'll run and hangs around here long enough, then maybe it'll get some performance goodies. It won't be a trail machine, so any mods would be something along flat track style with something like kart tires. Just enough ground clearance for dirt roads and wide enough it'll be stable for an adult to ride.
    Last edited by ATC King; 12-05-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Parts don't seem very expensive on Amazon for a top end… under 60 bucks for the whole chabang.....China of course...... But what doesn't come from China anymore anyways?

Seems like a fun and challenging project.. I know the feeling.

--
    I'll feel better using an actual Wiseco piston. They're ~$100.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail....1990&AppID=831

Everything else is easy enough to get to once the engine/swingarm is back in. Too many bad reviews on the Chinese complete top end kits. I don't mind playing with a Chinese carb to get it right and the stator is definately going to be replaced with Chinese. No way I'd expect those coils to work right with all the rust between the plates. The flywheel cleaned up a little and may be OK. The magnets seem to be intact.

From everything I've read about the LT80, the only sure way to get more power is to spin it faster. Pretty much double what they'll turn as stock seems to be acceptable. That's keeping the bore as close to stock as possible and mostly doing port work with a little milling on the head. The stock pipe is said to be pretty good and only second some custom ones that aren't available anymore. The general concensous is the DG pipes don't do anything but make it louder.

Oil injection is already off. Just need to remove the drive gear and make a block plate. If this was going to be a knock-around quad for kids to just play on, I'd leave the oil injection to make refueling simpler. I'm not going to ride it much though and between the moped and saw/trimmers, a small jug of premix is all I need to keep around. The absense of the oil tank does free up a good amount of space in the frame, because that thing is rather large.

I'm getting way ahead of myself. About to roll all the parts except the engine back out to the shed. This is small enough of a project that I can put it aside and just mess with it when other projects are wearing my patience thin.

UPDATE:

The whole engine will need rebuilt. The bottom end looks like Hades dropped a duece in it and let it simmer for a decade. I've seen some of these in running condition for sale less than $1,000. Being that this one will at least need a new crankshaft and the rest of the engine work alone would probably total $400-$500, I'm not going to mess with it too much until I can find a deal on the rotating assembly. As of right now, it's a Sudookie.
    Last edited by ATC King; 12-05-2021 at 02:41 PM.

--
    Find a new project and sell off that LT80

--
    That's what I'm feeling like ATM.

For now though, I've bagged and packed all the parts away. Just going to let it sit and see if any deals come up on used cranks.

Of course, unless you're buying LT80s and parts right now.

Edit: Added some pictures

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg
    Last edited by ATC King; 12-08-2021 at 02:48 PM.

--
    Oh man that is gross! Maybe a new idea of a Japanese transplant motor will come around from one of the other companies. Or would a polaris engine go in there from a kids quad?
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    For whatever it's worth, this was after several Seafoam soaks.

DSCN0029.jpg

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //