//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Slip on muffler leaking

--

Slip on muffler leaking

So the backstory is I got one of those factory replacement mufflers for my 200es from Dennis Kirk, and it's supposed to be slip on but has never sealed well at all to the original front pipe. I first tried using some aluminum foil to seal it, and that blew out almost immediately. Then I tried a sheet of lead, and that worked amazingly well, but only lasted for a couple months before it blew out too. I can't really find anything else that's meant for this, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. There's only a small gap, wrapping aluminum foil 2 or 3 times around fills it, but it's big enough that I can feel exhaust gasses coming out, and it lets air in and pops really loudly when I let off the gas (it's tuned fine, it didn't do that when I had it sealed up briefly)

--
    Brass shim stock might do it. Is it something you could cut some slots in and then clamp?
    It sucks to get old

--
    they sell muffler gasket sealer, it's like rtv, comes in a tube made for exhaust. auto parts stores carry it. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Brass shim stock might do it. Is it something you could cut some slots in and then clamp?
    That's what I was doing with the lead and aluminum, maybe brass would hold up better? I can't cut slots and clamp it cause it's such thick metal it wouldn't really clamp at all.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim mac View Post
    they sell muffler gasket sealer, it's like rtv, comes in a tube made for exhaust. auto parts stores carry it. jim
    Cool, I'll check that out. Do you think it would be able to plug a 1/16" gap or even a bit bigger?

--
    Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8033.../dp/B000BOAZM8

Typical auto parts stores usually have some on the shelf.

You could try the Ultra Copper if the above isn't available. It's not as heat resistant though.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8033.../dp/B000BOAZM8

Typical auto parts stores usually have some on the shelf.

You could try the Ultra Copper if the above isn't available. It's not as heat resistant though.
    Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a shot and update on here

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    How about some thin metal tubing?

Small exhaust pipe adapter/reducer? Outside of head pipe diameter to outside of muffler pipe diameter?

That goop/paste stuff sux, gets hard and dries out.

What is the O.D of the head pipe and the O.D. of the muffler pipe? pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    How about some thin metal tubing?

Small exhaust pipe adapter/reducer? Outside of head pipe diameter to outside of muffler pipe diameter?

That goop/paste stuff sux, gets hard and dries out.

What is the O.D of the head pipe and the O.D. of the muffler pipe? pics?
    Really hard to get a good pic but I'll measure the diameters when I get a chance. It would have to be REALLY thin metal, only 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil wrapped around took up the space

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //