//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x Gear Box kit

--

200x Gear Box kit

Hey

I was going through some of my stuff and came across a 200x gear box kit. Unopened still in the box. Any idea what these could fetch? Seeing what kind of value these hold.

I know dirtcrasher has lots of info on these.

Thanks in advance.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Replacement kicker gears for a 1st gen 200X? Heard of guys getting a couple hundred bucks for a NOS repair kit
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F1925DF-D5F2-492F-8DD9-718901BEAB4B.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	998.7 KB 
ID:	268722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D65C12B3-5945-4925-9944-D099131F81B9.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	268723

I’m talking about the drive gear box that goes on the front axle. Looked around and couldn’t find one to compare it to.

--
    Anyone with any information on these kits?

--
    not too many speedometers equipped 3 wheelers around. someone that needs it would probably pay good money for it. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Thanks Jim

I don’t see to many of these kits around. Also hard to compare it to something like it. I’ve had a few offers but thought I might get a second opinion from someone on this site. It’s been some time since I last bought one.

--
    I sent you a reply but now I know what you meant...

Honestly, I don't like to part with much speedo stuff because it's near impossible to find now. I saw the rarest of rare 86/87 200X speedometer kit grab only 300$, and I let it go like an idiot. It came in a bag for the 2nd generation 200X, the 1st gen came in a Hondaline box. But, sometimes I put out thousands of dollars in parts - Parts I've already sent people or custom made but haven't been paid for yet, stuff I find and plan on listing in the future, or just parts I'm afraid will be discontinued soon and I'd rather have them and not need them, then need them and not have them. Discontinued parts are bringing enormous money lately and one day it's there and the next it's gone.

Sometimes I'll dump 2K a month on new and used ATC parts, it adds up quickly. Then I don't want to spend any more money but I'll see something I ought to grab, I should have bought that 86/87 speedo kit as I may never see another one. That was the ONLY 2nd gen kit I have ever seen - (DC punches self in face).

Anyway, the first gen 200X speedometer kits complete will sell for 400 - 500$ or more, there is one listed currently at 600$, bear in mind Ebay gets 15% and if you sell enough you'll get a 1099 and lose another 25%, in other words, Ebay suks!! Many people don't know that the speedometer head itself is not included, they learn that the hard way. But, if someone wants a rare item they know it's not gonna be cheap. It's the entire kit with the drive cable, gear box and speedo head mounting bracket, and all they need is a KPH or MPH head.

I got a few kits cheap, but I've also paid 300$ for them. When you never see them you know they're very rare. The main difference from the 1st gen 200X kit to the 2nd gen 200X kit is the cable guide. The 1st gen required people to drill their fender and attach that red plastic guide you can see, the 2nd gen kit cam with a wire guide like is used on the 350X speedometer kits. No one is gonna drill their OEM front fender these days.

I have quite a bit of the speedometer stuff and every time I sell a piece I regret it. But, as long as I save enough for myself I shouldn't let it bother me. I have a few 250R/350X complete bolt on kits coming up this year (those are the most desirable kits, not a 185 or 200E) and they are in the neighborhood of 1000$ in MPH. I've seen the KPH speedo heads alone grab 300$ lately, just the head with the black face that says "Honda ATC"; Stuff is all worth good money...

Edit - The 250SX drive box is very hard to find as well, they bring good money.
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 12-16-2021 at 02:55 AM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The 83-85 kits new in the box I would guess you could sell for 300 right now. The one for 600 on ebay has been on there for a while. I think I had 4 of them. I sold them all for around 200-250 a piece. Back them I was finding them for less than 100.

Dirtcrasher is pretty spot on about this stuff. Like him, I've been collecting this Hondaline stuff for years. Used a lot of it on bikes I've built, but I've since sold most of it. I've had most every model ATC kit new in the box/bag at one point or another. The ones I have left which are not for sale include 2 NOS 86-87 200x kits (1 in the box, 1 in a bag), and a 350x kit new in the box. I had 4 86-87 kits at one point, sold 2 of them.

The photo is for Dirtcrasher. They did come in a box also.

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	880.6 KB 
ID:	268776

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I sent you a reply but now I know what you meant...

Honestly, I don't like to part with much speedo stuff because it's near impossible to find now. I saw the rarest of rare 86/87 200X speedometer kit grab only 300$, and I let it go like an idiot. It came in a bag for the 2nd generation 200X, the 1st gen came in a Hondaline box. But, sometimes I put out thousands of dollars in parts - Parts I've already sent people or custom made but haven't been paid for yet, stuff I find and plan on listing in the future, or just parts I'm afraid will be discontinued soon and I'd rather have them and not need them, then need them and not have them. Discontinued parts are bringing enormous money lately and one day it's there and the next it's gone.

Sometimes I'll dump 2K a month on new and used ATC parts, it adds up quickly. Then I don't want to spend any more money but I'll see something I ought to grab, I should have bought that 86/87 speedo kit as I may never see another one. That was the ONLY 2nd gen kit I have ever seen - (DC punches self in face).

Anyway, the first gen 200X speedometer kits complete will sell for 400 - 500$ or more, there is one listed currently at 600$, bear in mind Ebay gets 15% and if you sell enough you'll get a 1099 and lose another 25%, in other words, Ebay suks!! Many people don't know that the speedometer head itself is not included, they learn that the hard way. But, if someone wants a rare item they know it's not gonna be cheap. It's the entire kit with the drive cable, gear box and speedo head mounting bracket, and all they need is a KPH or MPH head.

I got a few kits cheap, but I've also paid 300$ for them. When you never see them you know they're very rare. The main difference from the 1st gen 200X kit to the 2nd gen 200X kit is the cable guide. The 1st gen required people to drill their fender and attach that red plastic guide you can see, the 2nd gen kit cam with a wire guide like is used on the 350X speedometer kits. No one is gonna drill their OEM front fender these days.

I have quite a bit of the speedometer stuff and every time I sell a piece I regret it. But, as long as I save enough for myself I shouldn't let it bother me. I have a few 250R/350X complete bolt on kits coming up this year (those are the most desirable kits, not a 185 or 200E) and they are in the neighborhood of 1000$ in MPH. I've seen the KPH speedo heads alone grab 300$ lately, just the head with the black face that says "Honda ATC"; Stuff is all worth good money...

Edit - The 250SX drive box is very hard to find as well, they bring good money.

Lots of good information on here. Definitely a good read and takes some guessing out of the question. This kit is out of Canada in a sealed bag. I thought it might have a bit more value but like you said you don’t see something come up for sale but no idea if it’s rare or not.

Maybe someone out there would trade for a used 350x kit. Not sure if it’s out of the question but it’s definitely a cool piece.

--
    Is this for the 83-85 200x? If so, and you are interested in selling the kit, please let me know.

Thanks!

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    The 83-85 kits new in the box I would guess you could sell for 300 right now. The one for 600 on ebay has been on there for a while. I think I had 4 of them. I sold them all for around 200-250 a piece. Back them I was finding them for less than 100.

Dirtcrasher is pretty spot on about this stuff. Like him, I've been collecting this Hondaline stuff for years. Used a lot of it on bikes I've built, but I've since sold most of it. I've had most every model ATC kit new in the box/bag at one point or another. The ones I have left which are not for sale include 2 NOS 86-87 200x kits (1 in the box, 1 in a bag), and a 350x kit new in the box. I had 4 86-87 kits at one point, sold 2 of them.

The photo is for Dirtcrasher. They did come in a box also.

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	880.6 KB 
ID:	268776
    I'm drooling at that Tachometer...

It may be that the first run of 86/87 200X kits did come in a box . The one on Ebay was in a clear bag with cardboard folded over the top (like we use to buy lots of items so it could hang on a hook) and it had the correct logo and part number; I figured they all came like that.

The other thing I've noticed is the MPH heads seem to have a bunch of part numbers, I continue to find new part numbers. They're identical in every way but I recently saw one that was for a 250SX and it had the HA0 or HA6 (I forget) right in the part number. One time I did see a white faced MPH Speedo that was identical in every other way, I've never seen another.

Dirtwheels, do you have all the Hondaline part numbers? I've looked for a master list for years and am always told they were only in their Hondaline catalog for each years models.

I so wish I was scooping speedo stuff up in the late 90's, it was all out there still!!...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I'm drooling at that Tachometer...

It may be that the first run of 86/87 200X kits did come in a box . The one on Ebay was in a clear bag with cardboard folded over the top (like we use to buy lots of items so it could hang on a hook) and it had the correct logo and part number; I figured they all came like that.

The other thing I've noticed is the MPH heads seem to have a bunch of part numbers, I continue to find new part numbers. They're identical in every way but I recently saw one that was for a 250SX and it had the HA0 or HA6 (I forget) right in the part number. One time I did see a white faced MPH Speedo that was identical in every other way, I've never seen another.

Dirtwheels, do you have all the Hondaline part numbers? I've looked for a master list for years and am always told they were only in their Hondaline catalog for each years models.

I so wish I was scooping speedo stuff up in the late 90's, it was all out there still!!...
    I have not seen a master list of all the hondaline part numbers as new accessories were released every year. I have an 87-88 Hondaline accessory catalog that has the most I've seen in one place. It's got all the later ATC stuff, plus TRX and Odyssey stuff. They come up once in a while on ebay, but the last few I've seen went for big $. I got mine for cheap before anyone cared. Basically, anything speedometer install kit/gear box will begin with 08175-(bike code)00. The speedometer heads themselves, like you said have had a few part numbers. They used 08171-96500 and 0Y171-96500 for the "ATC" speedometers. For whatever reason, Honda interchanged the "8" with a "Y" on some of the parts. For the speedometers without the "ATC" on it, (the ones with the chrome bezel that says "HONDA"), those were 08E80-HM4-100 for MPH and 08E80-HM4-300 for KPH. I'm sure there are others like you stated, that have a "Y" or something else, especially the white one. I've seen one once, but did not see the part number. There was also a black faced/black bezel without "ATC" on it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //