//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250SX replica Hondaline Rack

--

250SX replica Hondaline Rack

Just an FYI. I saw this post on a facebook group:

So as most of you know I've shown some interest in making Honda OEM Rear Racks with all hardware and Headlight Guards as well for the 1985-1987 250SX. Thanks to my friend
    Justin Kolb and Beau Steinke I have been loaned one of each to have a jig made for. I spent the day with one of the best Fabricator/Welders and Powdet Coaters in our area to get real world #s on what it would cost to make 25 of each to sell. Ive learned it's not as easy as it sounds!!! There are 3 different sizes of steel used in the Honda Rear Rack which means a Fab shop has to buy 3 different sizes of dies for their benders to build one. The dies alone to make rear rack run about $1200 just to get started. Head light guard up front is another set of dies at $400 more. I have spent 8 hours drive time chasing down parts to duplicate,I have spent one whole day with Fab Shop owner and Powder Coat shop owner just seeing what all is involved in mass producing these and figured out why average guy hasnt done it yet even though they are in high demand. So at end of Day I asked Bart if
    Bart Metz at Running M Welding do you want to build these Racks and Headlight guards with me. He said yes but there has to be deposits on anything customers want up front to show they are serious because of the expense of just getting $1600 in dies and initial racks of steel just to get started. He is telling me we would be at $369 plus shipping for rear rack with $100 down to cover costs at time of order and $119 plus shipping on headlight guards either powder coated black or silver with $30 up front at time of order. To save a customer on shipping racks and headlight guards could be picked up In Greensburg ,Indiana or at Trike Fest in June. I have had Bart Build me many things over the last 20 years and he is picky about what he builds. I guarantee between him and our Powder Coat guy
    David Cherry this stuff will look and work just like Honda Stuff. I hear guys say they want Hondaline racks all the time for these things and here is you opportunity to purchase one. Feel free to contact Bart Metz and Running M Welding and Fabricating to place your order at 812-593-0330 Since we've been getting a lot of interest in these I've been doing some shipping quotes for guys who private messaged me and unless it's really far away from Indiana it's not as bad as we had originally thought it would be on these racks through Fed X. One quote to South Carolina was like $44. Dallas was $64. Utah was $90 and California from here was $110 if that gives you an idea of what shipping would look like. Of course we would be glad to give you an actual quote to your address from ours and thanks again for your interest.

--
    Very nice! These enthusiasts parts production drives are the bee's knees.

The lurkers will come out of the woodwork and you'll likely hit that 25 number.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Is this still happening? Anyone know how much interest there has been already? I am definitely interested in a rear rack if it will happen.
    1987 Honda 250SX
    1987 Honda 200X

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraman0614 View Post
    Is this still happening? Anyone know how much interest there has been already? I am definitely interested in a rear rack if it will happen.
    im also interested in this as i have 2 85 250sx's and enough stuff to maybe build an 86 too.

--
    i'd love a headlight guard if he's still doing this - don't have facebook though.

--
    Update - Talked to Bart Metz at (812-593-0330) Running M fab and he said there wasn't enough interest to justify the cost yet. He was putting names on a list however so if you're interested, give him a shout and he'll give you a 'maybe'.

--
    I'd be in for a 250sx headlight guard!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    DOM tubing is an absolute fortune by now as well.

I've been telling people for a very long time that copying the Honda with short radius bends isn't easy and a good bender is a small fortune, let alone each individual die.

I still make headlight guards but only a couple times a year, they are super labor intensive and just one mistake and they're junk...

That and it's either 20 degrees or 90 degrees with high humidity in 2021, makes it tough to sandblast or powder coat.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Are these still for sale?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //