//ArrowChat Code

Thread: The ATC70 seems to hold a lot of value?

--

The ATC70 seems to hold a lot of value?

I am just getting back into ATCs after a 20 years. I recently bought a 200s I am working on. I started looking for a 200X, so I am on CL, FB Marketplace and Offerup pretty often. It seems that the 70 models go for as much as the 200X does. I don't really understand this. They are really small unless you are quite a youngin'

What am I missing?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by flightofphx View Post
    I am just getting back into ATCs after a 20 years. I recently bought a 200s I am working on. I started looking for a 200X, so I am on CL, FB Marketplace and Offerup pretty often. It seems that the 70 models go for as much as the 200X does. I don't really understand this. They are really small unless you are quite a youngin'

What am I missing?
    The 70’s are modified by many. Sticking huge motors in them with suspended front ends. For that reason there have been plenty of people making new parts for them. The possibility’s are endless in the 70 builds. I don’t get it either but it is what it is.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Tiny houses that cost more that a real one per sq.ft. come to mind.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    It might have to do with the kids china atv models that are just plain junk. A 40 year old 70 is more reliable (in the right hands) and has nostalgia value no atv will ever have.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    It might have to do with the kids china atv models that are just plain junk.

A lot of the so-called ATC70s have Chinese engines in them now. Then there's the ones that aren't any part of Honda at all and people have $7,000 wrapped up in and certainly have a lot Chinese parts.

It's getting to where it's a rarity to even see an actual Honda engine in a ATC 70/90/110.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    A lot of the so-called ATC70s have Chinese engines in them now. Then there's the ones that aren't any part of Honda at all and people have $7,000 wrapped up in and certainly have a lot Chinese parts.

It's getting to where it's a rarity to even see an actual Honda engine in a ATC 70/90/110.
    I think the main reason for that is the lack of mechanical knowledge, for so many they have no idea as to how to rebuild a motor so it’s just easier to buy a Chinese one. We would never consider that ourselves. I would put a built Honda motor up against any Chinese motor any day.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I think the main reason for that is the lack of mechanical knowledge, for so many they have no idea as to how to rebuild a motor so it’s just easier to buy a Chinese one. We would never consider that ourselves. I would put a built Honda motor up against any Chinese motor any day.
    Wait, are you talking about carbs or motors?

LMAO

Either one applies, here

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    I know a lot of this 70 craze is for the adults, but I've been sorting out a couple 110s and riding them around, and after just minutes I'm ready to get off and stretch my legs.

I certainly don't get how any adult could keep from rubbing their backside on the dirt with one of those larger, more powerful engines stuck in a 70. Too short, too narrow, and looking like a monkey fu...a football.

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    A stock 140 (let alone bigger) will outrun ANY built as far as you want Honda 70 motor, thats why people do the swap. You can't get the torque out of a 70 like the pit bike motors make, it's been argued, tried and tested many times. If you have never rode a 70 with a pit bike motor, you should try it before counting it out, trust me, it's a blast if you like to go fast. If it's properly set up for flat track, it's even more fun!

--
    Back to the original post, value and price aren't the same.

In this case, value is not added by modification or adulteration. Value would start as genuine and original then decrease from there based on condition. Any deviance from genuine and original would instantly decrease it's value.

That's if someone were basing their purchase on value instead of price.

Price can be independent of value when the item is part of a short trend or craze. This is good for selling short term, but not buying long term.

A relative example would be the custom chopper craze. A look at the current prices of used OCC, Big Dog, and the like shows they never really had value because the current prices are well below what they cost new. Many if not the majority of people who bought those were buying into a craze and weren't bike enthusiasts anyway. They did spure a surge in companies to produce them, many of which are now closed since the craze has passed. That was a very generationally driven craze and I doubt any of those will ever be worth much again.

Trikes in the early 80's weren't so much the craze as today as they were the only and first ATV at that time. It was a new vehicle segment that was and still is the craze. UTVs are the next in line of the ATV craze that trikes started.

Back to choppers and trikes, there are those who were around at or near the begining of each and are more historian than enthusiast. That core are not the ones over pricing value, although some are getting out of it and capitalizing on their parts stash as they do. That's the thing with a vehicle craze, sell when the price is high because that may be only once in a lifetime.

Like at some point, that Elvis telephone will stop shaking it's hips. I'm sitting next to one...sigh.

On to the price point. When looking at the current ATC70 prices, or any ATC price, is the person actually going to get their money's worth out of riding it or are they thinking of it for more long term resale. If thining about resale, it'd be a good idea to see if there's a demographic pattern. These aren't fine art, ancient weaponry, Neolithic effigies, or George Washington's teeth, they're aging pop culture relics (Elvis telephone).

Then there's the modifications and adulterations which don't add value. If the modifications are period correct or with actual period parts, then long term value will likely hold. Modifications done outside of period, hasitly, poorly, or which is now common, cheaply, do not add value but may increase the price during a craze.

That's not to say that if someone simply wants it, that it's not worth it to them, just don't expect a good return when selling later on. It's great to have new products and companies producing new parts and trikes, but that's not the same as the original ATCs when value is considered.

In all, when someone says something about ATC value, are they looking at price instead. There have been some really clean, original, and well preserved examples that haven't sold for more than totally new custom pieces. Some of which are very poorly done. The butchered 'cafe' motorcycle trend is certainly another good example. Very nice stock bikes from the 70s and 80's are available for the same or even lower price of some horrifically modified ones.

True enthusiats know the difference. People caught up in a craze don't. One is about value and the other price. Those Chinese engines don't cost very much and are pretty much throw away, but that certainly isn't stopping some people from paying top dollar for trikes with them installed. Not knocking what someone enjoys, but it isn't adding or even keeping value.

A person may be better off just buying the Honda engines and waiting to see if the later trend is poeple putting them back in. They're certainly smaller than a whole trike and easier to store.

Someone looking at buying an ATC just needs to be certain why they're wanting to buy one and of what they're really getting.

Edit: An ATC70 that sold about the middle of 2021 on BAT - $2,500

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...e-model-atc70/

A clean one, if not %100 original. It's still a good example of something with value.

One currently on Ebay with a listed price of $2,995.00 (doesn't mean it'll sell for that)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28458551009...4AAOSwYR1hyrv0

A prime example of a craze machine. It doesn't even have and attempt at fenders and the majority of it isn't Honda. A pet peeve of mine is they use 'restored' to describe it. Restored to what, becaue it certainly isn't to factory.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //