//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Where have all the Floor standing drill presses gone?

--

Where have all the Floor standing drill presses gone?

I had a 8inch bench top for my 1st drill press, it was cool but not cool. Too limited and took up too much space. I figured I'd go buy a new floor model since I see how bad people beat things. I tried local ACE...nothing, Local TRUE Value...nothing. Next hit the Tractor Supply....nothing. OK now this is getting old. Lowes, has nothing, home depot has nothing. Everyone seems to have 8 or 10inch presses but I do not want that. Sears....well they closed up all around me and I think all over too?

Harbor Freight has them. 13" floor mount. New is new. Tried Craigslist, nothing on there. FB has some....super beat super expensive.

I only really need one to drill up to a 8mm dia hole in projects. I even have a nice spot free for it.....now finding one is the hassel.

I guess its not 1996 anymore...........if it were I'd hit sears buy one go home.

Any ideas on what I should get? I wanted to stay under $400

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I've retrofittted my garage with vintage tools like Craftsman and Delta. New tools are junk. The older 40's up to the 70's tools have ball bearings for spindles and electric motor armature shafts and are rebuildable for the most part.

I have a Delta DP220 bench model I inherited when my grandfather died.

I will eventually inherit my fathers Craftsman 150 floor model drill press.

Delta DP220 for a drill press, bench or floor.

Craftsman 103, 150, same deal.

I never buy tools using the "All I'll be doing is...." reasoning because in the past I've always found I end up saying "I wish I woulda".

I also do work for others using the tools I buy and apply what I charge them towards tools. Most of the tools I own have essentially been paid for by others.

I got all of my vintage tools thru craigslist, local auctions, ebay (local pickup for larger stuff), and more recently FB. There are plenty of these older tools that are in very good shape because most homeowners rarely run them into the ground like a shop would.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I found a clarke brand bt1001 looks to be 30 years old. guys asking $120 and it fit my dimensions in my area at 63" tall. Never heard of clarke...i know DELTA and craftsman

--
    Anything new is made out of sheet metal and feels like your drilling with a bunjee cord. Look for a knee mill, probably run ya more than 400$ but it's a darn good drill press plus you can use it as a mill. Clarke has made power tools for a long time. Good luck on your tool search . My drill press is probably 100yrs old.

--
    That Clarke is a 2003...i think ill hold out for something older to pop up.

--
    These used to be much cheaper. For a price on a JET floor model, you could buy a used Bridgeport!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grizzly-...3&gclsrc=3p.ds

--
    Yes many Bridgeports I see 1200-1700. I don't have that kinda room. Hre is keeping an eye out at an auction he goes to often. He passed on a $40 harbor freight for me lol. Said better will pop up.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I've retrofittted my garage with vintage tools like Craftsman and Delta. New tools are junk. The older 40's up to the 70's tools have ball bearings for spindles and electric motor armature shafts and are rebuildable for the most part.

I have a Delta DP220 bench model I inherited when my grandfather died.

I will eventually inherit my fathers Craftsman 150 floor model drill press.

Delta DP220 for a drill press, bench or floor.

Craftsman 103, 150, same deal.

I never buy tools using the "All I'll be doing is...." reasoning because in the past I've always found I end up saying "I wish I woulda".

I also do work for others using the tools I buy and apply what I charge them towards tools. Most of the tools I own have essentially been paid for by others.

I got all of my vintage tools thru craigslist, local auctions, ebay (local pickup for larger stuff), and more recently FB. There are plenty of these older tools that are in very good shape because most homeowners rarely run them into the ground like a shop would.
    I've been buying allot of NOS Sears tools, all their stuff was always good. Oddly enough they had vices made in Japan, Taiwan and China, gotta watch what you buy! I found a 1 HP benchtop wire wheel/grinder not too long ago for a great price and every sized adjustable reamer, all great tools. I'm amazed to see what Sears was and how they ended up...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Yes many Bridgeports I see 1200-1700. I don't have that kinda room. Hre is keeping an eye out at an auction he goes to often. He passed on a $40 harbor freight for me lol. Said better will pop up.
    Scooters right and you're excellent and findings things yourself, but Ebay, FB, Craigs and local auctions or far away auctions for bigger more $$ stuff is your best bet. You're in an area where you may find things a bit closer to you, even if it's drive (well, gas suks now) but it may be worth your while to travel for the right stuff. I once bout a Chinese table top mill, I know you mentioned having the room being an issue, but it takes up about as much room as good old cast iron drill press aside from the X and Y movement. I often see them used under 400$ and they take a collet for endmills or a drill chuck. Problem for me was the round column and the Z axis, once you indicate in where you want to concentrate, if you run out of height you have to raise or lower the head, with a round column you then lose all indications. I saw a Clausing table top mill 6 months ago for 350$, that was a gift!! But I didn't really need it nor had the room for it, it was gone in a day. If you do look at the TT mills, look for dovetails on the Z (up and down) axis, it will keep your indication allot better than a round column. HRE will probably hook you up, he always let you work in there and seems like a great friend to have... Keep an eye on yard sales too, just about every Baby Boomer that's getting old has a heavy cast iron drill press in their basement.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I saw a Clausing table top mill 6 months ago for 350$, that was a gift!! But I didn't really need it nor had the room for it, it was gone in a day.
    WOW! If I would have come across that I would have bought it anyways

I never see anything like that around here.....
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I've been buying allot of NOS Sears tools, all their stuff was always good. Oddly enough they had vices made in Japan, Taiwan and China, gotta watch what you buy! I found a 1 HP benchtop wire wheel/grinder not too long ago for a great price and every sized adjustable reamer, all great tools. I'm amazed to see what Sears was and how they ended up...
    I have the 1/2hp, 3/4 hp and 1hp "block" style grinders, Although I may have passed the 1/2hp on to a deserving friend. Excellent grinders with ball bearing motors. I even have the original Craftsman pedestal stand for them, not the stamped steel version, the version with the cast base and mount plate for the tool. Those can be tough to find as well.

This is what the 1hp grinder I have looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	269256

This is what the pedestal stand looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	269257

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //