//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 200M Front Rack?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post

Are those coon traps or do you have a stray cat problem?

Meh. It doesn't take much to drill a couple hoes. May as well start from scratch. You could always build one that goes above the headlight. The Yamaha YTM racks were like that. It'll keep anything on the rack from blocking the light and you don't have to raise the light higher, which kind of puts the light right in harms way.

BTW, nothing wrong with that Hobart. The ol' Tractor Supply/Walmart MIG I've been using for years is still kicking and I used it today to repair a broken garden rake so I could finish working. I did get to use my new Harbor Freight welding hood today and all I can say is, dang, I should have bought a new hood years ago. I can actually see what I'm doing now.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post

Meh. It doesn't take much to drill a couple hoes. May as well start from scratch. You could always build one that goes above the headlight. The Yamaha YTM racks were like that. It'll keep anything on the rack from blocking the light and you don't have to raise the light higher, which kind of puts the light right in harms way.
    Actually, that trap is for large rats that eat my milkweed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

--

BTW, nothing wrong with that Hobart. The ol' Tractor Supply/Walmart MIG I've been using for years is still kicking and I used it today to repair a broken garden rake so I could finish working. I did get to use my new Harbor Freight welding hood today and all I can say is, dang, I should have bought a new hood years ago. I can actually see what I'm doing now.
    That hobart is about 12 years old and does great.
    If I put the rack above the headlight will a case of beer on it make the trike too unstable?

--
    If I put the rack above the headlight will a case of beer on it make the trike too unstable?

Only if you drink it too fast.

--
    I drug out a 200S and 200M fork upper.

A note:

The later 185S fork is the same as the 200S fork, but not all 185S trikes had a suspinsion fork. Also, the later/last ATC200 was available with the same suspension fork as the 200M.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200M200S (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	268983

Name:	200M200S (3).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	819.6 KB 
ID:	268984

There's approximately an inch difference in width. The 200M fork is a little taller too, but that's not the issue with rack fitment. Otherwise, they builds are very similar.

I took a look and measured the aftermarket rack on my 200S and even though the mounts have slots, it still wouldn't fit a 200M fork without some modification.

Name:	200M200S (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	268985

If Honda sold similar looking racks for the 200S and 200M, I don't think they'd by cross-compatabile.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-21-2022 at 01:12 AM.

--
    I drug out a 200S and 200M fork upper.

A note:

The later 185S fork is the same as the 200S fork, but not all 185S trikes had a suspinsion fork. Also, the later/last ATC200 was available with the same suspension fork as the 200M.

Name:	200M200S (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	268983

Name:	200M200S (3).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	819.6 KB 
ID:	268984

There's approximately an inch difference in width. The 200M fork is a little taller too, but that's not the issue with rack fitment. Otherwise, they builds are very similar.

I took a look and measured the aftermarket rack on my 200S and even though the mounts have slots, it still wouldn't fit a 200M fork without some modification.

Name:	200M200S (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	268985

If Honda sold similar looking racks for the 200S and 200M, I don't think they'd by cross-compatabile.
    That is good info!

Any theory for why both rack mount holes are slotted if it could only work on one type of forks?

--
    Any theory for why both rack mount holes are slotted if it could only work on one type of forks?
    Meh. To allow a little slop in manufacturing(?). Maybe they were already set up for puncing slots or it was just quicker than drilling holes. Possibly to install it without taking the bolts all the way out of the forks. No idea really. Would have to ask them, and they probably aren't around anymore, whoever they were.

When I said modify, it was more of making those slots longer and possibly having to use allen head bolts because hex head wouldn't clear. Even it it would fit the M, it'd likely be one of those situations were it barely did and the bolt threads would rubb when putting them in, essentially messing them up. Modifying something like hard to find vintage aftermarket parts nowadays would be a bonehead move. The Hondaline setup looks stronger anyway. A well done home built rack would function just as well as any.

If you build something, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and the design. That first one always takes the longest and you may get inquiries if you'll build some more. Thinking how long it took for that one, you may be like, um nope.

Maybe ask BarnBoy if he'll make some more disk brake axle carriers and see what respone you get.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-21-2022 at 10:24 AM.

--
    Another FYI: the Hondaline 200M (and 1983 ATC200) front rack is stamped on one of the outside plates with "ATC200M". I've never known Honda to do this with any of their other accessories, ever.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Here's a picture of my CMP 200M front rack. I found this NOS on eBay a couple months ago. I also found a Hondaline one, but it was missing the mounting clamps. I tried to weasel MrC's chrome front rack from him, but he just wouldn't get off it - lol.

Name:	IMG_20220119_182131669_2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	268986
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

ZacH_GrifF is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Here's a picture of my CMP 200M front rack. I found this NOS on eBay a couple months ago. I also found a Hondaline one, but it was missing the mounting clamps. I tried to weasel MrC's chrome front rack from him, but he just wouldn't get off it - lol.

Is that a speaker? It come with those straps?
    1. 83 185s: (the money pit) xr200 cam, 200cc cylinder, 10.25:1 piston, 83 250r front end, 450r hubs, full suspension
    2. 85 Big Red 250es: in pieces
    3. 85 200m

4. 00 Polaris Magnum 325 2x4: stays broke
    5. 02 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4: trail bike

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    I tried to weasel MrC's chrome front rack from him, but he just wouldn't get off it - lol.
    Ha!

So much going on there. What's that header, hydraulic doohiky on the left bar for, those fork extensions, that tire/wheel, clearly a different throttle. Dang that's nice.

--
    Starting

--
    Time for paint

--
    You could have spread those pictures out a week or so, for suspense.

--
    Haha. I could have.

Painted and ready for next deer season.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //