//ArrowChat Code

View Poll Results: Which ATC110 to Keep?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shiny

2 50.00%
  • Dumpy

2 50.00%

Thread: Which ATC110 to Keep?

--

Question Which ATC110 to Keep?

Totally hypothetical and just for group thinking fun. Shiny one or dumpy one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220121_125913_MP.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	268987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220121_130012_MP.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	268988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (136).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	268989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (137).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	268990

Both isn't a fun answer, so I'm not putting it in the poll!

Most people with multiple trikes have made these decisions before and it's not always so cut and dry. The more people that post up thier choice and why, the more detail I give on the trikes that weighs on the decision process and see if that changes anyone's mind. Of course, more questions can be asked before voting too. Have fun!

Both run and ride. All lights works. Brake works good. Engines are in general good nick as far as no bad sounds, but not without some issues. Nothing wrong with either that would keep me from trusting to ride them anywhere.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-21-2022 at 04:05 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I'd keep the more stock 85? trike. I just like them stock looking. I made a 185s seat out of wood, sponge and a towel. no fenders just a skeleton on wheels. ended up selling it. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Jim mac, here's some of where I'm at -

I don't really ride 110s anymore other that around the yard, but if I do ride I don't want the worry or messing something up that's half decent looking. I got a short section that has some trees close on both sides and was actually worried about hitting them with the fenders on the Shiny one. No bueno.

The fenders on the Dumpy one are actually in pretty good condition as far as being solid. They're dirty in the pics. A small crack here and there, but nothing I can't reapair. The Shiny one actually had several big cracks and a break in the rear fenders. I spent 14-16 hours on the rear and front fenders to get them in the condition they're at now. A good bit of plastic welding and enough hand sanding to give me blisters on my fingers while trying the best I could to get into the square corners and edges.

A lot of labor time went into building the seat for the Dumpy one. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...uspension-Seat

As for actual comfort, Dumpy takes gold, but it's not just because of the suspension seat's function alone. That seat also opens up the riding area and with the wider handlebars it's simply more comfortable for an adult. Shiny does handle better witht the offset wheels and lower (stock) seat.

Shiny's wheels are Blue Label Douglas. I really don't have a use for them other than maybe snow tires. They aren't the more robust Red Label wheels and where I ride tends to have a lot of rocks that beats the edges of the stock steel wheels as it is. I'm heavy too and really don't want to risk bending the Blue Label wheels, even if I swap them onto a 185/200 ATC. Really just can't use them, so if they go, they need to go with Shiny.

As for being stock, they both aren't too far away. The seat and exhaust being the biggest deal on Dumpy. I also have all the mud flaps and hardware for Dumpy. I just take those off of riders because sticky mud clings to them, weighs them down, and damages the fenders quicker/easier. Front mud flaps I leave on to protect the engine from mud buildup.

That's all just a part of the choice. There's more.
    Last edited by ATC King; 01-22-2022 at 12:22 AM.

--
    I understand about keeping the one you can use and not worry about. my buddy restored his 1st chevelle, didn't want to park it anywhere, or take it to the track because he was so worried about chips, scratches. Ended up selling it. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    For sure.

Can't even buy groceries without having a panic attack.

Last edited by ATC King; 01-22-2022 at 12:43 AM.

--
    I voted for shiny strictly on the basis that I would love a nice, new bike with zero issues for a change. I would ride it, maintain it, and love it but it, too would eventually become dumpy. And no less loved.
    I may be old, but I still enjoy the feeling
    of the earth rotating beneath my wheels

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It'd be hard to get rid of either...Kind of like Ginger or Mary Ann; both had very good qualities and why only choose one when you can ride both?

--
    I'd go dumpy as I believe it's a points motor so more performance goodies are available. If it was cleaned up like shiny then I think it would show well.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I'm certainly more inclined to keep one I feel more relaxed riding on and not messing up. I'm not a fan of the 110's anymore though and really hadn't planned on getting either of them.

Dumpy was priced too well to pass up and turned out to be in better condition than I figured it would when I first brought it home. I knew the seat was done and the muffler was gone when I bought it, but there haven't been too many surprises other than the shift drum detent broken, which wasn't too expensive or difficult to replace. The fuel tank had some rust holes that I epoxied and bought some Red-Kote for, but haven't applied yet. Typical fuel tank repairs. One dent that I think I can pop out from the inside.

Shiny I got in a package deal. I wanted the 200S, so I bought the pair. Really don't have the room to keep all of these and need some shop space back. The big problem with Shiny is it smokes pretty bad when first started. That caught me off guard because when the last owner firts bought it, it didn't smoke. I helped him aquire some of the missing parts like the entire air cleaner box and tube and various rubber/plastic parts that were missing. It had a pod filter on it when he got it. I spent some time helping him with that and I'm not certain what transpired between then and when I bought it. I do know it mostly sat. I didn't even bother to start it when I bought it because I knew the condition of it previously and just figured it was the same.

The start up smoke isn't nearly as bad as when I first brought it home and since I've been riding it. I think a ring may have stuck from sitting. I'm going to fill it up with SeaFoam and let it sit a few days, the let it idle with some in the oil and change it again, to see if that helps. If it needs new rings that's no huge deal or cost, but it's time I'd rather be applying to some other project.

I did put a new fuel petcock on it and dug an OE tail light out of my stash to put on as it didn't have one. I also put a new hand brake lever on it with a park brake function. The lever on it didn't have that. I removed the exhaust and it got blasted and high temp black paint applied. The main thing it's missing is the plastic tool box that bolts to the grab bar. Pretty much evrything else is there.

Everything I've done to it is with the intent of selling, I'm just not in any hurry though and would like to clear up the smoking issue first. It's really too nice to have that issue. One other thing that's bugging me is the recoil starter. It's completely functional, but the wrong year. You 110 people know the issue. The current one is the older round style, so it doesn't have that little tab near the top right and there's an opening there. This is actually a higher cost problem than if I need to rering it, which is actually fairly inexpensive. Stupid recoil housing prices are nuts right now.

I really would like Shiny to go to a good home, but I'd rather everything be done and complete when it goes and the next owner can just enjoy it.

One last thing is it feels like someone put the stiffer clutch springs in Shiny. Totally not needed on a stock engine and they just make shifting harder. If I do re-ring it, I may put stock springs back in it.

--
    I'm keeping dumpy.

I love shiny as well but the older 110s are cool

--
    I do like the older styling more. I think it's shape of the fuel tank that I prefer on the older ones and more rounded styling overall.

The later ones definately had cleaner, more integrated looking mud flaps though. That larger tool box is pretty handy too. The small tool can on Dumpy, is small, an it's also under the fenders where it's more expose the mud and water.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    I'd go dumpy as I believe it's a points motor so more performance goodies are available.

It's electronic ignition, CDI. I'll have to look, but I think it's an '82. Years ago I done up a little 110 hot rod, but those parts are either too difficult to find or the price is too high anymore. I wouldn't bother doing it again. Low range works good enough for getting the needed power for slow trail riding and it'd never hang with the bigger trikes on long straights anyway.

There's not a group of outlaw 110 riders to hang with here.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //