//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 Yamahauler no start

--

1984 Yamahauler no start

Peoples,
    My 84 YMT 200E won't start after sitting for a few hours. It will start on spay but not without. Bike is original and not altered. I'm kind of an amateur so where might I start?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

--
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyejigger View Post
    Peoples,
    My 84 YMT 200E won't start after sitting for a few hours. It will start on spay but not without. Bike is original and not altered. I'm kind of an amateur so where might I start?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Good to see that you’re a responsible owner who spays and neuters your trikes… or maybe you meant spray, as in ether or a shot of gas into the carb? Let’s go with that for now.

So the trike has sat for a day and you go to start it. Will it start with just the choke, or do you always have to spray fuel into the carb to get it to start?

How does it run?

Do you have an air cleaner on it?

Does the choke work? Two stage plastic lever on the dash style?

WI is cold these days, no? After stilling a couple hours at temps below 50F many engines will need a little choke to start back up.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Good to see that you’re a responsible owner who spays and neuters your trikes… or maybe you meant spray, as in ether or a shot of gas into the carb? Let’s go with that for now.

So the trike has sat for a day and you go to start it. Will it start with just the choke, or do you always have to spray fuel into the carb to get it to start?

How does it run?

WI is cold these days, no? After stilling a couple hours at temps below 50F many engines will need a little choke to start back up.
    The choke is a flip lever, air cleaner yes, once started it runs okay. I'm going to take it outside tomorrow AM as it should be in the 30s and sunny. If it is just extremely cold blooded that should make a difference. On a side note where would be a good place to look for a carb kit?

--
    Not sure what your experiences are with that lever, but I assure you it breaks very easily, so be very careful. On the later models they changed it to a round headed straight pull assembly.

In theory that is a two stage lever, which I don’t think everybody is aware of. The first position is 180 degrees, or directly vertical, the second position for colder weather, is to continue to flip the lever until it has rotated about 270 degrees. The problem is that in getting that lever to the second position you strain the heck out of it and break it. I recommend you don’t even try it. What I do know how to preserve that plastic lever is to pull it up to the first position and then flip it back down about half way, grip it with my fingers and pull straight up. Just put all the strain on your fingers and none on the precious plastic lever.

Anyway, there is no complete rebuild kit that I’m aware of for that carburetor, but realistically the only things that you’ll ever need are a base gasket and a needle and seat assembly. I believe both are still available on some of the online Yamaha sites, or you could contact Jetsrus or Sudco. The rest should be salvageable, or replaceable from an o ring set.

Let us know how it goes.

PS, I just remembered one other thing. I’ve noticed on mine that even though the cable routing is correct, when my bars are turned hard left the trike will stall out at times, so make sure that your handlebars are facing forward when you’re trying to start the trike.
    It sucks to get old

--
    thanks , I'll look into that

--
    If I had only opened my eyes! I moved the choke lever past 180 degrees the way you said to and she-bang! the first crank it fired. I see what you mean about the lever being fragile, it already has some breakage as does the reverse release lever. Thanks for the insight. BTW is there any type of choke lever apparatus that can replace the original?

--
    According to Partzilla, you can still buy the entire cable or just the lever on the end. The cable is kind of expensive at $56, but it's still way cheaper than I got bent over for at a dealership back about 20 years ago. That was $90! It was for my 1985 225DR. I don't know if they're different or not.

--
    The levers come up on eBay with frequently at around $12 last time in looked. Buying two would be money well spent. If the cable is in good condition, lightly lubed and the choke plunger is clean and has a little Vaseline on the oring you should be good to go for a few years, just be extra careful when it gets really cold.

No need to butcher it just yet, there are parts available, they’re just not cheap.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Appreciate the insight bro!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post

How does it run?

You might be on to something with the spaying and neutering of trikes because in my experience, these things just seem to keep multiplying in my garage.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    Quote Originally Posted by psujeepguy View Post
    You might be on to something with the spaying and neutering of trikes because in my experience, these things just seem to keep multiplying in my garage.
    Many of us are into rescue trikes.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //