//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bearings?

--

Bearings?

Anyone here used ( AllBalls ) rear bearings, any good? I see them on Ebay for my YTM200K for about $40
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    They're Chinese. They seem to be ok. Sometimes they're not packed with grease very well. I always remove one of the seals and inspect them. If there doesn't look like there's much grease inside them, I'll pack some more in. I always place the bearing so that the seal that I removed is facing inward. My thinking is that it's been disturbed so it may not seal as well as it should. I think that, by placing it facing inward, it's away from the dirt and will make it less likely to get dirt, water, etc. inside this way. I may be completely wrong and it may make no difference, but I still do this anyway. Call it the placebo effect.

--
    Sealed ball bearings are not suposed to be packed full. It's something like 25%-35% is suposed to have grease. Quality bearing manufacturers specify the amount for each bearing but it may be difficult to impossible to find on their websites.

A search of 'bearing too much grease' will yield a lot of results.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Who makes the best aftermarket bearings? Or is OEM the best?
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    OEM would probably be the best.

--
    For a lower speed Atv I don’t think repacking the bearings will hurt it as much as not enough grease especially in the environment atvs are used in mostly
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Possibly not, but I want to get that info from the bearing manufacturers out there. An informed decision is a better one.

Here's a link about it and a list of some grease properties at the bottom.

https://www.astbearings.com/bearing-lubrication.html

The other thing to keep in mind that all grease doesn't play well with each other. Mixing incompatable greases can really cause some problems. Another issue is shelf life, so a cheap bearing may have grease that'll only last for a year or two wheras a quality bearing may use newer and better grease that'll hang on for ten years of intermitent use.

It's stuff modern ATV and motorcycle manufacturers have to sort out, but for us...

In summary, buy OEM or at least stay away from Chinese bearings. Some of those cheap ones have slop from day one.

--
    Yea you do get what you payed for. But like you said some grease’s not liking each other might be a good reason the clean the new ( cheaper ) bearing and install a good quality grease that you trust, that wouldn’t be a bad idea.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    If not knowing what type of grease is in the bearing, yes, it would be advisable to remove all of it before replacing. It may even increase the life of cheap bearings if part of that is because they use low quality grease.

As far as sources, I've used to many cheap bearings that didn't deliver real savings in the long run. I'm not a fan of aAllBalls either. They don't make bearings, they just market them and most if not all, are Chinese. They do put together some convenient kits, but that's about it. If it's not directly from the manufacturer or their retailers, it's likely from a reseller with fancy marketing. Since Amazon and Ebay are now practically Chinese shell companies, I've been buying more things direct from websites and cutting them out, so I know who I'm dealing with and what they're really selling. There's been a lot of reviews of people paying for name brand things and getting unbranded products.

Amazon and Ebay are great for window shoping though.

--
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna go with OEM. I did try aftermarket bearings years ago on my yt125 and had the same amount of play as the old bearings.
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    I have a couple 250rs with All balls axle bearing been in since 2014 several seasons of racing on them still tight.I do get Oem when I can.Timken is a good quality bearing Toyo is what Honda uses I believe. Same goes for seals Oem when I can get them.I have found a replacement seal for the clutch side crank seal discontinued by Honda for the aircooled 250r.Its a Suzuki crank seal.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sealoil38x62x105_medium0928938006-01_92ae.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	269225
    Last edited by atc300r; 03-04-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    250r rules

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I used All Balls last time on a backup machine. It sees little use and those bearings are sloppy, noisy and rough. I blame water contamination. Our trails in the spring are an endless watery mudhole! Cant wait for em to open up!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //