//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Fork tube indents, is it fine, or wil it keep leaking?

--

Fork tube indents, is it fine, or wil it keep leaking?

Hi everyone,
    Doing a long overdue fork rebuild on a Honda 250es. One side didn't even have any oil left in it. I noticed a bunch of little indents etched into the outside of the tube near where the seal would be (see pics).

Will this keep leaking with new seals, or am I worried about nothing? If it's toast, I can grab one off a parts bike. Just don't want to reassemble it all, have it keep leaking, and have to do it again.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fork1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	269229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fork2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	269228

--
    That looks like it's on the seal area. Yes, they'll chew up new seals and leak.

By the looks of the wear, the legs may have some slop in them too. I don't think there are bushings in those lowers, so when they're done, they're done. No rebuilding them within reason if you don't have your own machining equipment. If the manual doesn't list a bore spec for those, you'll just have to go by feel.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    That looks like it's on the seal area. Yes, they'll chew up new seals and leak.

By the looks of the wear, the legs may have some slop in them too. I don't think there are bushings in those lowers, so when they're done, they're done. No rebuilding them within reason if you don't have your own machining equipment. If the manual doesn't list a bore spec for those, you'll just have to go by feel.
    Ok, cool. I'll use another tube.
    Good tip about the legs. I'll take a close look when they're clean and use a different one if needed.
    Thanks a bunch!

--
    Yep, those are trashed.

If you had just one spot like that you could try a metal epoxy filler and sand it to shape, but those are too far gone.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Yep, those are trashed.

If you had just one spot like that you could try a metal epoxy filler and sand it to shape, but those are too far gone.
    I'm glad I asked you guys before putting it back together lol

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //