//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC90 axle questions

--

ATC90 axle questions

Hi, New (old) guy here.

I picked up a 1978 ATC90 a few months ago. Runs good, but has a few issues. When this machine was built, I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealership. We saw a lot of these with loose rear axle bearing fits. Back then we had a local machine shop that would repair the axle fits using a spray metal process. Worked great. About half the cost of a new axle back then.

My first question is - what's done for fixing loose bearing fits these days? I haven't had my ATC90 apart. If I'm lucky, maybe it just needs bearings and a little loctite. It doesn't feel too sloppy yet.

Second question - are any tools available for removing axle nuts? When I used to work on these I made a really deep socket (with a piece of water pipe and a cut up impact socket,) and used it with an impact wrench. Worked pretty sweet. I'd settle for a couple of the correct size open end wrenches now.

I'm sure this has all been discussed before - but I couldn't find anything by searching the site.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanyhobbies View Post
    Hi, New (old) guy here.

I picked up a 1978 ATC90 a few months ago. Runs good, but has a few issues. When this machine was built, I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealership. We saw a lot of these with loose rear axle bearing fits. Back then we had a local machine shop that would repair the axle fits using a spray metal process. Worked great. About half the cost of a new axle back then.

My first question is - what's done for fixing loose bearing fits these days? I haven't had my ATC90 apart. If I'm lucky, maybe it just needs bearings and a little loctite. It doesn't feel too sloppy yet.

Second question - are any tools available for removing axle nuts? When I used to work on these I made a really deep socket (with a piece of water pipe and a cut up impact socket,) and used it with an impact wrench. Worked pretty sweet. I'd settle for a couple of the correct size open end wrenches now.

I'm sure this has all been discussed before - but I couldn't find anything by searching the site.
    New bearings should solve your problems. We’ve never had a carrier that was so sloppy that it wouldn’t hold a bearing and we’ve done a lot of these. As far as a axle nut tool yes they make the or at least have made them. It’s more of a open ended wrench style of tool.. we’ve found it just as easy to use channels locks. Can’t remember the size of the nut
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Thanks for the reply.

The bearing fit problems we ran across were bearing ID to axle. Not as often with the 90's and 110's, but lots of 185's and 200's.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanyhobbies View Post
    My first question is - what's done for fixing loose bearing fits these days? .
    Beer can?

Funny, but they for sure get repurposed like that.

As far as a big nut tool, you need a big wrench. I bought a 24" adjustable wrench from Harbor Freight years ago just for ATV axle nuts. They're $30 now. For double nuts, buy two and grind the jaws down on one for holding the inside nut.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    ATC King,
    At least that axle fix is another excuse for having a beer.

--
    Thank you, Scorcher!

Heyco does make some good tools. I've had a few others in the past. One of these and my 24" adjustable wrench should do the job.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //