//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Degreasers: Brands & Results

--

Degreasers: Brands & Results

Dish soap to the stupid aggressive ones, many people have had good results and some horror stories. Not all should be used everywhere and some have specific qualities for specific uses. It can be a bit of a minefield when trying something new and there's always the go-to degreaser for many.

I had a chance to put two to the test that are far apart in price and on-the-shelf availability.

These were used on a diesel fuel tank. Both were applied with a spray bottle and just power washed off with no scrubbing. People who use the modern diesel fuel know the junk it leaves behind in tanks and fuel systems.

On the left is LA's Totally Awesome, and on the right is the aircraft version of Simple Green which is specifically for aluminum. The results are pretty obvious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FuelTankDegres-min.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	269545

That was a damaged fuel tank headed for recycling, so it was cut in half for easier handling and to clean it out to prevent it from being rejected by the yard.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    The one on the left is pretty impressive. Did you by chance splash a little Diesel on the scum and give it a rub? Just curious to know if it becomes soluble when in contact with Diesel.
    It sucks to get old

--
    From barnett468

"Easy Off Oven Cleaner on aluminum, however, it can dull the finish. I have not tried it on painted pieces. Use in a well ventilated area, don't breathe the fumes, wear gloves and eye protection."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Did you by chance splash a little Diesel on the scum and give it a rub? Just curious to know if it becomes soluble when in contact with Diesel.

The tanks were dry and mostly empty, considering they were 100 gallons each. I think the lines are pretty evident that diesel does not break down the black funk, which is most likely some type of mold from the bio-diesel mix sold most places nowadays. No, I didn't pour any fresh diesel in and attempt to rub the funk off. Even in fuel filters, modern diesel plugs them up much quicker than the old stuff and it's always that black funk in them. I've got an old JD tractor with a glass fuel filter and I know that the old stuff didn't black out the filter like the new.

That's all a little of subject, but many people have long term issues with the new diesel blends, especially in anything that sits a while between use. Mostly it's clogged fuel filters.

--
    What about the price difference?
    I'd guess that's a $4 of Totally Awesome.
    How much was the Simple Green? $12? more?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    What about the price difference?
    I'd guess that's a $4 of Totally Awesome.
    How much was the Simple Green? $12? more?
    That's a 64oz of LA's, so apples to apples that's $7 for a gallon to $20 a gallon for the Simple Green Aircraft. Prices may vary but that's what I just found.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/produc...ill-64-oz.html

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...All%20Products

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/sho...cleaner-128oz/
    https://simplegreen.com/industrial/p...ision-cleaner/

Either one, I used pennys on the tank cleaning. I did use them full strength.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I used some of that LA's Totally Awesome on my driveway before I pressure washed it. 4 water:1 LA in my cheap foaming spray gun and let it sit for about 15 minutes before pressure washing. Worked great.
    Got 1 gallon at Ollie's Bargain Outlet for $4.99. After using it on my driveway, I went back and bought a couple more gallons to have on hand. Never know what Ollie's will have.

I've used Simple Green but never the Aircraft. Used aircraft remover from Home Depot once on some suspension parts before painting.........that stuff is nasty. Definitely use goggles, gloves, long sleeves and watch the exposed skin.

I use Super Clean Degreaser (purple jug) or TSP (trisodium phosphate) for the lighter stuff.

--
    Since the age of about 10 I've degreased everything with gas. Yes, it's explosive, and Mom hated the smell, but it sure does take off all the grease and then a little brake cleaner gets it spotless.

But, now that our country is run by monkeys (Oh wait, that's an insult to them. How about leeches??) and gas is over 4$, it probably isn't the cheapest way anymore.

That LA stuff looks like it did a nice job, I'd like to see how it does on a filthy, leaking, grimy motor. with caked on crud...

I just replaced the glass filter on my JD 500C BHL, my tank must be dirty because it's already black again.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    The black in your filter could be a dirty tank, it could also be the new bio diesel blends. Trying a diesel treat that specifically deals with the mold because of bio diesel blends may be a good first choice before pulling the tank for a cleaning.

The LA's degreaser works great but just like with any really crust covered mess, it's best to manually remove the worst before using the degreaser. I have a set of plastic scrapers I use on things like that, to prevent any damage, then have a go with the degreaser.

LA's works 'awesome' on my trike engines that have some oil leaks.

Edit: Here's one diesel fuel treatment to deal with the funk. I haven't used this product, it's just one I found in a search.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-fuel-biocide/
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-20-2022 at 09:55 PM.

--
    I don't think I can pull the tank, it's enormous and very heavy. I'd need an engine crane or a hoist, lol...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //