//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 250 sx shifting issues

--

1985 250 sx shifting issues

Hey this is chainsawmike, sorry for the caps lock for those that get annoyed by that i had a bad brain injury last year that affected my sight so this helps me see..
    1985 honda 250 sx
    this has kind of happened to me before and my bike mechanic fixed it no problem but hes mot around anymore..
    I think my bike is stuck in first and reverse i say this bcuz about 2 or three times the last couple days i went to shift to neutral
    but i was in first gear and went through the reverse actions with it in first and now im having shifting issues it is lockedin first.
    Anyone know what to look for ? And i think the shift lever spring mighta broke bcuz i have to manually bring the shifter back to center each time..any advice will help ..... Thanks

--
    Tons of threads on here about 250es /sx shifting issues .
    Just pull the left side engine cover and see what’s broken or possibly just loose .
    Very common problem .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Actually the left side crankcases is NOT the only side that shifting problems can occur. If you didn't find it in the left side, the it's the right side crankcase where the issue is. I have the same model and year trike and just fixed issues with mine and all were right side crankcase cover.

Under the right side cover, you'll find that's where the reverse selector mechanism is...it's located on the very bottom underneath both clutch's. It has a spring on it that has 2 sides...one part of the spring locks onto the lever mechanism its on, and the other part of the spring (the part that holds tension..the straight section of the spring) is supposed to rest above the filter screen thing housing. My guess is either that spring broke or came loose.

The other part in there is the gear selector arm. The foot shift lever grabs onto the spline shaft...and that shaft goes all the way through the block and pokes out the other end of itself inside the right crankcase. The thing that slides onto it is the gear selector arm. On the end of that arm is supposed to be a free spinning little metal roller thing. On my 250sx..that little roller thing got pressed on hard enough to permanantly jam that roller thing and kept it from spinning. If it can't spin freely, then the gears will stick. You should also check the mechanism that little roller thing is supposed to move..the clutch adjuster plate with the "V" notch in it. My guess is your problem is probably the reverse selector arm and spring. Fairly easy fix. Hope this helps some if you haven't fixed already!

Quote Originally Posted by CHAINSAWMIKE View Post
    Hey this is chainsawmike, sorry for the caps lock for those that get annoyed by that i had a bad brain injury last year that affected my sight so this helps me see..
    1985 honda 250 sx
    this has kind of happened to me before and my bike mechanic fixed it no problem but hes mot around anymore..
    I think my bike is stuck in first and reverse i say this bcuz about 2 or three times the last couple days i went to shift to neutral
    but i was in first gear and went through the reverse actions with it in first and now im having shifting issues it is lockedin first.
    Anyone know what to look for ? And i think the shift lever spring mighta broke bcuz i have to manually bring the shifter back to center each time..any advice will help ..... Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //