//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 350X questions - help needed

--

ATC 350X questions - help needed

Hi All,

I would like to tap the collective knowledge of the group. I have come across a 1986 350X, and the specifics are as follows:

• Plastics are overall intact, but are kind of dingy and have a lot of stickers. To look good, I may be able to buff the originals, but to look great I may need to get new plastics. The tank is pretty dinged up with some non-matching paint covering some of the dings.

• The gas smelled like turpentine, and it doesn’t run currently. The seller says that it was running well when it was last running (a number of years ago).

• The front brake lever is bent and doesn’t seem to be working.

• The “bones” look acceptable, but it definitely needs some TLC for it to be nice and presentable (which is my preference).

• I checked spark and couldn’t see it, but I did feel it (zing!).

Here is the part that confuses me and the part about which I want to ask for the group’s knowledge. I checked the compression, and it was at 60. The engine was cold and the directions say you should test a warm engine, but it isn’t running. I checked it both with the decompression lever activated and also deactivated and it was basically about the same. I am not an expert at compression testing however, so when I got home I checked my 1983 185s (with the decompression lever deactivated) and my 1985 125M, and to confuse me even more, both of them tested around the same number? I have not done much compression testing, and while I don’t want to pass on something decent, I don’t really want to buy a money pit either.
    I have reason to believe that he is a trustworthy human. He started out asking $2000.00 not running “as is” though later said he’d take $1700.00. As we left it, I needed to do some research and would get back to him.
    What do you guys think about the compression and about the asking price considering what I have said? What I like are presentable and pretty darn clean "riders" that are a great reminder of what these great trikes were.

Thank you very much for any input.

--
    If you are using a cheapo compression tester like from Harbor Freight or something like that it's probably going to give you erroneous readings.......that is my experience.

My 200x would show 70psi cold (with HF tester)....then I added some oil to the cylinder...then it bumped up to nearly 100 psi.

Before I started the engine disassembly it would start in 1-2 kicks everytime with original rings.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit......the fact that all your machines test around the same PSI tells me the tester may be giving erroneous reading.....especially if your other 2 rigs run.

--
    The clearances inside the engine are only correct when the engine is hot, and an engine sitting for years will have no oil on the rings so compression could be low. Shoot some ether in it and see if it fires right up. Given the cost of a piston kit, gaskets, and a bore job that should only total a little over a couple hundred bucks it seems like a pretty good deal if it is complete and the seat isn't trashed and the tank is reasonable? Grab bar there? stock muffler? Hit him with $1500 and see what happens. If it was in CT I would buy it if it was complete. Drain and rinse the tank, clean the carb, fresh gas, I would drain and fill the oil and do a second oil change after you get it running, shoot it with a small squirt of ether and I bet it fires right up. Warm it up and change the oil again.

--
    Thank you for the responses Gentleman, I very much appreciate the input.

--
    ATC200x4716, Knowing what you said about compression testing helps.The seat is recovered, and doesn't look bad, but doesn't look factory, the grab bar is a six-pack rack that was held on by three of four bolts. Unfortunately the pipe is a DG and he said he doesn't have the original. the plastic looks pretty dingy, but did not have any huge cracks, and may be able to be sanded up to look presentable, or I may go the Meyer route. The tank is pretty beat up, it may be able to be restored, but would probably require a lot of money to get back to looking really good. I can get a plastic clarkmfg tank for about $250.00. What I really like are trikes that are nice enough to be very presentable, but not so darn nice that you don't want to ride them, and I think that this could get there but it may be a fair bit of time and some $$$.

--
    knappyfeet (maybe get 'em checked?), my compression tester looked pretty good, but was inexpensive and purchased on Amazon. Thanks for sharing your expereince!

--
    Did you hold the throttle open while doing the compression test? I've found out from experience that it makes a HUGE difference. Either that or remove the carb. Whatever it takes to get sir into the cylinder.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //