//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Anybody been to Waynoka Recently?

--

Anybody been to Waynoka Recently?

Me and a good buddy are planning a trip for the 3rd week in October so I’m trying to get an idea of what to expect. I’ve never ridden at Waynoka and seems most of the post about it are at least a couple years old. We are planning on a few days at the dunes the a couple of days at Byrds on the way home. What are the best campgrounds or rentals to stay at? Only time I’ve ridden in Oklahoma was in my rock crawler at Clayton and at Burris valley.

--
    I’ve went the last 2years in a row to the “250r legends tour” 2020/2021. It’s normally around the last weekend in September through the first few days of October. The best places to stay are at the on-site camp grounds they have. If you book a cabin, places are bad about not telling you that you have to drive on asphalt to get to the dunes, and nobody likes riding paddle tires on pavement.
    Last edited by 250Rfanatic85; 07-14-2022 at 11:14 AM.

--
    I may be heading that way, at that time, west to east. If you'd like to make a multiple trike presence there, keep me in the loop. The 200ES is all I'll have, but I do have a set of snow tires with me that should do good enough in sand.

I haven't been to Waynoka but I've been to Byrd's quite a few times. It should be cooled off by that time of the year in those areas.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Will keep you posted. We plan to be at waynoka 0ctober 17-19 then ride at Byrds the 20 and 21st.

--
    Thanks. That'll actually work right into my schedule.

I don't know about Waynoka, but I've had a lot of good rides at Byrd's. From super technical trails to a lot of gravel roads, that place is a hoot. Riding to the Oark general store is a must. Oldest continual operating general store in Arkansas, and the people who are running it now are a younger couple, totally committed to it. They even built a pavilion during the Covid thing, so they could serve food outside. That place is super busy, but they also have fuel pumps, which is great because it's somewhat in the middle of nowhere.

Byrd's, and the Ozarks in general, is a super rocky place. If you already have or can install some bash plates on your trikes before riding there, it'd be money well invested. A sprocket and rear brake rotor guard is a really good idea for riding there.

Whatever final gearing you have for the dunes in OK, a tooth or two smaller front sprocket for Byrd's is going to be a whole lot easier on the clutch and make the riding more enjoyable. There's a good bit of steep hills, and if you're like me, I detest riding on pavement, which means a lot of knarly trails and gravel road to get to Oark. There's no need for high top speed in the Ozarks.

Edit: If y'all didn't already know, since last year OK no longer has any type of toll booth payment for the toll roads. No cash, card, nothing. They image your license plate and send you a bill. OK's toll roads aren't worth it, they aren't in any better condition than the rest of the roads, just have a higher speed limit on their typical rough roads.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-20-2022 at 10:11 PM.

--
    The trike I have with me developed a pretty good oil leak. I'm pretty certain I just need to take it home and won't be able to meet y'all at Waynoka.

I may still be able to run back up to Byrd's later that week. Who knows. I haven't been home since earlier this year and need to get back there. I think I have a gasket set stashed away with what I need.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //