//ArrowChat Code

Thread: I can't seem to locate the silver powder type used on the 86 250R calipers??

--

I can't seem to locate the silver powder type used on the 86 250R calipers??

I've searched for a couple hours both here and Facebook and can't find it. People spend too much time arguing about whether paint is better or worse and never answer the question, lol.

I don't care who sells it - Columbia, Eastwood, Absolute or Powder by the Pound but could someone please tell me which silver powder is a decent match for the 86 250R??

It's not a show piece, it's not mine, the dude wants that silver on his calipers that I rebuilt. Thanks for any help!!

- I'm trying to get caught up with all the side work I haven't been able to do for awhile...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    OK… well… from what I remember and after looking through 25+ photos of both restored and unrestored calipers, they all appear to be a satin black. The engine cases are a silver of sorts with a touch of ‘brown/tan’, almost a bronze color but not quite. As for who makes the case paint I remember VHT had a color that was a near match to the original cases. As for paint vs. powder coat, I believe the calipers, pegs, foot brake and reservoir, hand brake and reservoir, levers and perches, were powered-coated satin black.
    Likely you already know this…
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    It's not powder but Duplicolor makes a spray can called Storm Gray. It's a very close match and you can usually find it at your local auto parts store. A lot of people also use it on the 86 engine.

--
    I just try to do what the customer wants, I've been so busy for over a year now that I'm just now getting to these. He sent me a box filled with the dual piston rear 250R calipers, but it looks like they were in the ocean, or damp for 20 years, I can find a few good housing and a few good parts, the rest I have to make or buy. And we just had another 3 weeks of heat and humidity and my compressor makes too much water in those conditions to blast or powder coat; I'm building a cooler ATM because none of these "water separators" work no matter where they are placed. But anyway, he wants the same as the 86 motor (tells me his original caliper was silver too), whatever makes him happy and I'm having a hard time finding that powder. I could pick something out that's close, but it's not for me and I can't rebuild a whole caliper that's worth a small fortune and have the guy unhappy. Drives me nuts because I have satin black powder in stock. I thank you guys for all your contributions...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    It's not powder but Duplicolor makes a spray can called Storm Gray. It's a very close match and you can usually find it at your local auto parts store. A lot of people also use it on the 86 engine.
    With motors if we get gas on the paint and it's fairly new, we can make a mess, with calipers and brake fluids it's even worse. I don't mind giving the guy powder if that's what his little heart desires, I may just make him pick it out himself because I end up spending so much time just researching and asking questions; Time I don't have...

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yo Steve, been a while. Shoot me a text or call sometime buddy.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Yo Steve, been a while. Shoot me a text or call sometime buddy.
    Did you see my reply to you on Tacoma World?? LOL - That was a few weeks ago. I haven't forgot you, it's just been crazy for awhile now...

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Did you see my reply to you on Tacoma World?? LOL - That was a few weeks ago. I haven't forgot you, it's just been crazy for awhile now...
    I did not. Havent been logged on TW in a loooong time. I forget what your username even is over there. I get it man, just give me a shout sometime!
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //