//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Added two ATC’s to the fleet yesterday!

--
    Update!
    I have ordered a complete kickstart parts set off a 1984 ATC200X (gears, shafts, shims and kickstart lever), also ordered a Honda service manual. I think the current plan of attack is to pull the motor and split the cases and assess what I have. The cylinder will almost certainly need honing if not a bore job. I’ll address what’s inside as I go and possibly refresh the top end with a higher CR piston and a cam if the bottom end checks out OK.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Make sure to take the time to clear the oil passage between the oil pump and the right rear cylinder stud. This is the oil supply for your camshaft. If it is clogged with clutch fibers or other remnant's from dirty engine oil you can cook your new cam in about 5 minutes.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Where did you find the kick start set?

--
    Very good to know, thanks for the heads up. That’s a major part of the reason I want to tear it down instead of trying to get it running as is with zero knowledge of the motor.

Is there a known fix for the kickstart gears? Remachining, shims or adding a spring?

Also, I’m seeing less than great reports on the new but available DG exhausts. My bike has a rotted out supertrapp on it now, what’s the consensus for the best available exhaust?
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    People seem to like the ones for a CRF230F. They are stainless and will require a little bit of modification, but they're cheap enough.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldpo6 View Post
    Where did you find the kick start set?
    I pieced it together on Ebay, since I plan to split the cases I bought all the parts for a 1984 since very little was available for a 1983.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    People seem to like the ones for a CRF230F. They are stainless and will require a little bit of modification, but they're cheap enough.
    I want to make sure I understand correctly, you’re saying the CRF230 exhausts are the peoples choice? That’s knowing it will require a little finessing to fit? Thanks!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Service manual has arrived! Current game plan is to begin disassembly of all major components and organize them for restoration.

I have done fork seals on these basic damper rod forks before, with that said I’d like to adjust the suspension for my weight. 200lbs ready to ride, are there any good resources for set up info? Replacement springs, alternate weight oil or ect? Also, my shock spring is beyond rusty! Are aftermarket springs available or should I scour eBay for a nice take off shock/spring?
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    In anticipation of restoring the 200X and the 70 I guess the proper thing to do is to start a build thread for each one. I’ll post up a link to the thread when I start it.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGEN110 View Post
    I want to make sure I understand correctly, you’re saying the CRF230 exhausts are the peoples choice? That’s knowing it will require a little finessing to fit? Thanks!
    Maybe not "the people's choice", but it is popular. Mr Condid has a video on his You Tube channel of putting one on his 200X. IOt's been a while, but I'm sure you could find it or maybe he could put up a link to it if he happens to come across this thread.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Maybe not "the people's choice", but it is popular. Mr Condid has a video on his You Tube channel of putting one on his 200X. IOt's been a while, but I'm sure you could find it or maybe he could put up a link to it if he happens to come across this thread.
    Awesome! Thanks for the clarification! I was rummaging around my parts bin and I have a beautiful WileyCo RS something another muffler that is an extremely well made and looks very sharp. I may pursue trying to find a CRF 230 header OEM or aftermarket and build my own mid pipe to couple the two. The WileyCo is not a straight through glasspack like most, it has an internal baffle and is USFS approved.

On another note called DG today and they are no longer making their aluminum RCM exhaust. They have the steel exhaust in black and chrome. I suspect both will be very loud and I hear the black paint they use is pitiful. They do offer an aluminum grab bar that I’ll likely get since mine is gone! Frame is even broken off back there so I’ll have a little repair work to do there too.

Anyone recall a KEIHIN 27PD carb swap for the 200X? DG lists it on their site as an out of stock item but the guy I spoke to today said they haven’t updated their catalog in the 7+ years he’s been there and they don’t distribute Keihin products anyway. Kind of disappointing that he had zero reference material, manuals or setup data for their old products.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    For a muffler, Musket Mufflers in NZ makes an OEM style replacement. They're not cheap, but not an obnoxiously loud aftermarket sport muffler.

https://www.musketmufflers.com/colle...ffler-silencer

If you haven't seen the ATV On Demand stuff, that's be a good start with your 200X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFRlI9i-9I

Suspension work gets expensive and time consuming really quickly. With damper rod forks, it's all about compromise for what your riding style is. The rear shock can get on up there in cost if you want something aftermarket. Quality, on-the-shelf rear shocks can easily be $700-$1,000, custom is much higher. I don't know what's available for the 200X suspension, but a good fork cleaning, new seals, and greasing/replacing the rear bushings/bearings is a good start if you just want functional and reliable.

For fork oil, you can always mix weights to fine tune.

If you're really wanting the most bang for the buck, suspension is number one. No matter the engine mods, if the trike rides all over the place and is difficult to control, it's money wasted. Next would be brakes, which would typically be fresh caliper/master cylinder builds and stainless braided lines. Beyond that, I don't know. It'd be custom brake bits.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-05-2022 at 12:07 AM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    You can probably rebuild the rear shock yourself. There's not much to them.

Check Schmidty Racing to see if they have 200X shock seals. Nitro recharge runs about $5-15.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22266712637...mis&media=COPY

I rebuilt the 86 250R shock for about $60 in parts and I replaced everything.

Schmidty sometimes has powdercoat OEM springs available for those. Check their website or eBay store. I thought Race Tech had aftermarket springs for it but don't quote me on that. They did for 250R in different rates. I'm 210 and I bottomed out a 200X on any jump higher than 3 ft. on stock setting

Do you still need that motor mount spacer? I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket one somewhere in my parts pile. Let me know what all misc stuff you might need and I'll see if I have it

There was someone on eBay at one time with some Chinese front master cylinder repops. I just used the front master off of the CRF230 or a CR85 I think it was. They will work just fine plus it's Honda stuff. I think I used Honda CR85 front caliper on the rear of my 200X(s) and a kx80 rear caliper on the front. There's an interchange thread in here somewhere about that and I got a post in there about using the CR85 rear master cylinder on a 200X using some spacers and a very light modification to get it to work (you just drill out the mounting bolt threads and it's a direct bolt up with some homemade spacers)

The motors are very simple to rebuild. Figure on paying over $100 EACH WAY to ship it off to someone to rebuild if you go that route

Megacycles still makes aftermarket camshafts for these and they really respond well to a compression bump. 10.25:1 being optimal....12:1 is also available but hard on the kicker gears.
    Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 08-06-2022 at 06:09 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    You can probably rebuild the rear shock yourself. There's not much to them.

Check Schmidty Racing to see if they have 200X shock seals. Nitro recharge runs about $5-15.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22266712637...mis&media=COPY

I rebuilt the 86 250R shock for about $60 in parts and I replaced everything.

Schmidty sometimes has powdercoat OEM springs available for those. Check their website or eBay store. I thought Race Tech had aftermarket springs for it but don't quote me on that. They did for 250R in different rates. I'm 210 and I bottomed out a 200X on any jump higher than 3 ft. on stock setting

Do you still need that motor mount spacer? I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket one somewhere in my parts pile. Let me know what all misc stuff you might need and I'll see if I have it

There was someone on eBay at one time with some Chinese front master cylinder repops. I just used the front master off of the CRF230 or a CR85 I think it was. They will work just fine plus it's Honda stuff. I think I used Honda CR85 front caliper on the rear of my 200X(s) and a kx80 rear caliper on the front. There's an interchange thread in here somewhere about that and I got a post in there about using the CR85 rear master cylinder on a 200X using some spacers and a very light modification to get it to work (you just drill out the mounting bolt threads and it's a direct bolt up with some homemade spacers)

The motors are very simple to rebuild. Figure on paying over $100 EACH WAY to ship it off to someone to rebuild if you go that route

Megacycles still makes aftermarket camshafts for these and they really respond well to a compression bump. 10.25:1 being optimal....12:1 is also available but hard on the kicker gears.
    Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Wow! That is outstanding information! Thank you so much, I’ve purchased a set of used motor mount plates, bolts and the spacers. Thanks though!

I planned on using some OEM substitute parts for the build as it’s going to be a rider, not a showpiece.

I am still looking for some parts,
    -Rear grab bar
    -Light/ignition switch
    -Front (countershaft) sprocket cover
    -Rear brake linkage in better shape than my rusty ones

I’m really hoping to salvage the engine and rebuild it myself. I have to split the cases to replace the rusty kickstart shaft in it now so I’d like to go all through it and check the bearings and ect.

Thank you so much for you time to reply and all the great info. I bet a 10.25:1 piston and a mild camshaft would completely satisfy my wants out of this trike! Looking for a sporty trail bike, not a ticking time bomb or a missile.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    A friend of mine has a rear shock for a 200X but i do not know which year model. If you are interested I can ask him and see how much he wants for it.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //