//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Added two ATC’s to the fleet yesterday!

--

Added two ATC’s to the fleet yesterday!

Yesterday I bought two new to me ATC’s. One is a mostly complete 1985 ATC70 for my soon to be born daughter! The second is a 1983 ATC200X for me! Since my wife has basically staked a claim to my 1986 125M this will be great as each of us will have our own ATC now!

The 70 is making spark and needs a tuneup and a rear wheel to be a rider. I plan to do a light restoration on it so it’s ready to go when my daughter is old enough to ride it.

The 200X is another story, it isn’t a basket case but it’s close. The prior owner prepped it for storage outside by removing the gas cap, spark plug and clutch cover ��. Amazingly the tank appears to be salvageable, the engine is not stuck and aside from some very light surface rust on the primary gear on the crank I think the engine is serviceable. I am missing some critical parts though that I’d love some help on tracking down.

1. Right side foot peg is gone
    2. Kickstart parts in the clutch cover are gone
    3. Kickstart lever is gone
    4. Hydraulics are shot, I can rebuild the masters I think but the plastic reservoirs are history.
    5. The stator side rear engine mount spacer is gone (frame to engine spacer)

I am debating throwing the clutch cover back on it, pouring some oil in the case and over the cam and seeing if I can get it to pop off, then if it shifts and doesn’t make any scary noises I’d be happy to invest the funds to make it right. The other option is to go ahead and tear it completely down and see what I have. If the engine is not salvageable I’m thinking find a donor motor, XR200 or CRF230 and swap it. There’s a remote chance I’ll try stuffing a Yamaha Blaster motor in it, now that would be sporty!

What do you guys think? I’ve read that the 83’ 84’ and 85’ have many interchangeable parts but I see that the swing arm is different on the 83’, the kickstart gears have different P/N’s across each year and the pegs even appear to be different!

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have, or parts you may be willing to sell!

Main thing I’m after at the moment is what year right side peg can I use and can I use an 84’ set of kick start gears with the 83’ internal kickstart shaft?

For reference here are the ID numbers
    Frame JH3TB0523DC313617
    Engine TB05E-6017858

According to my research both indicate 1983 DOM
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 07-28-2022 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added VIN and engine numbers

--
    After reading Mickeys post about rare ATC’s I’ve also considered digging out my old XR600 motor and seeing how that would fit. That would be my last choice though due to the light weight and balance that makes the 200X so nice and nimble in the first place. My aim for the 200X is a solid trail rider, no desire to race it. I’ll post some pictures when I am able to. I think I need a certain number of posts to do that.

--
    Also thought about the Pitster 233cc motor but they are out of stock virtually everywhere. When I called PP they estimated more in stock next year! Wow! Something about sticking a Chinese motor in this frame really bothers me, honestly even the Yamaha would hurt a little but that’s only because I can’t find a suitable compact air cooled two cycle Honda that would work well for trail riding.

https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=77

--
    how about using a 185 or 200s motor?
    use hydraulic hand brakes for the front and rear brakes like MR_C van halen auto X? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    That’s certainly an option but I plan to keep this a manual clutch sport trike. I have plenty of semi auto bikes and quads and look forward to having something sport oriented for riding with my buddies on their sport quads. Thanks!

--
    The more I think about it the more I want to stay with a stock Honda engine. Reliability is paramount to me and a stock or mildly modified motor would be ideal. My second option would be a Blaster engine. It’s even lighter than the 4T Honda and makes more power, already set up for the weight of a quad so the transmission would hold it fine and I’d gain another gear as an added bonus. The only downside is I really like four stroke torque and quiet for the trails.

--
    1983 ATC200X and 1985 ATC70
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 118FC761-97E0-43D4-92F1-7EC8CC6A30B6.jpeg  
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 07-29-2022 at 08:49 AM.

--
    200X pictures

Sadly the grab bar is gone. I’d like to replace the old steel one with a newer aluminum bar. I’ll investigate that when I sort the rest of the frame out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB6A1A49-BF10-4995-A0AE-A6FF44AF150C.jpeg   DCFC500C-8068-402B-A1F6-539FB71FC5C5.jpg   10D37AB7-08D3-4B98-9792-EC1CCD2AA13A.jpg  

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Sounds like you have 2 cool projects. I like the idea of using a CRF230 engine and have toyed with that idea previously myself.
    Also glad to see someone else on here from NC. I was starting to think that I ma the only one. What town are you from?
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    Sounds like you have 2 cool projects. I like the idea of using a CRF230 engine and have toyed with that idea previously myself.
    Also glad to see someone else on here from NC. I was starting to think that I ma the only one. What town are you from?
    Yes, I also like the 230 for one main reason, electric start and a DC generator. With that said I still want to complete my clutch side cover as I would swap it onto the CRF so I have a backup. I can fab up a battery mount no problem and also plan to run LED headlights which like DC voltage a lot better than AC voltage!

Depending on the shape of my current transmission I'd also likely swap my stock ATC 5 speed transmission in for durability. I have yet to see a side by side of the CRF trans beside the ATC trans to assess the difference in gear thickness. I am also just about sure I have to split the cases anyway to swap the ATC kickstart shaft into the CRF engine.

Im currently weighing my options there but ultimately Im going to try to see if this engine is salvageable.

Im in central NC between GSO and CLT, near Lexington. I have a neighbor with 3 ATC's (85' 110), (85' 125M) and a (200ES) another friend has a herd of 5 or so, 3 minis and 2 Big reds also know of another 79' 110 I'm working on buying and another Big Red 250 all within about 15 miles of me. We are around!!! We ride at AAA Farms in Yadkinville sometimes if you ever want to come out!

--
    Does anyone on here have any experience swapping clutch cover kickstart gears across different years in the first generation 200X’s?
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGEN110 View Post
    Yes, I also like the 230 for one main reason, electric start and a DC generator. With that said I still want to complete my clutch side cover as I would swap it onto the CRF so I have a backup. I can fab up a battery mount no problem and also plan to run LED headlights which like DC voltage a lot better than AC voltage!

Depending on the shape of my current transmission I'd also likely swap my stock ATC 5 speed transmission in for durability. I have yet to see a side by side of the CRF trans beside the ATC trans to assess the difference in gear thickness. I am also just about sure I have to split the cases anyway to swap the ATC kickstart shaft into the CRF engine.

Im currently weighing my options there but ultimately Im going to try to see if this engine is salvageable.

Im in central NC between GSO and CLT, near Lexington. I have a neighbor with 3 ATC's (85' 110), (85' 125M) and a (200ES) another friend has a herd of 5 or so, 3 minis and 2 Big reds also know of another 79' 110 I'm working on buying and another Big Red 250 all within about 15 miles of me. We are around!!! We ride at AAA Farms in Yadkinville sometimes if you ever want to come out!
    That sounds good. Let me know when you are going.

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGEN110 View Post

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    Will do! My buddy is actually working on his 200ES as we speak. It would be awesome to get this 200X ready for a shakedown ride by this fall.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    I spoke with Mark Brenny yesterday at Brenny rebuilders in Iowa. He quoted around $1000-$1300 for a ready to go “rebuilt” motor if I send him my engine as a core. Has anyone got any experience with his set up? He is quite knowledgeable but I always appreciate an unbiased opinion, mileage can vary widely obviously.

At this point I’m leaning more towards buying a clean CRF230f dirt bike and swapping everything over that I can use and parting the rest.

I absolutely plan to add the kickstart off the 200X to the 230 engine and depending on how the transmissions compare I may go ahead and swap in the beefier 5 speed as well.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //