//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 ATC200X basket case resto-mod

--
    Id love to hear any feedback on aftermarket plastic suppliers that makes plastics for the 200X. Leaning towards Maier but curious how the KTX compare? KTX are cheaper but I'm more interested in quality.
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 08-30-2022 at 10:13 PM.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGEN110 View Post
    Cool, do you have a ballpark cost for this set up?
    No.

Contact Mike from hreatv.com

The swinger I built is my personal one. I had prob 30+ hours into figuring it all out. I built it from free spare parts..
    I don't run all 300ex stuff in the rear. The 300ex rotor is way larger than the 200x . It is the size of a dinner plate. I run atc250r since it is the smallest. I also only use yz426f front caliper since they are just great.

Hre can build you one and talk you thru the parts you would like to run.

I am not Hre. I have known him nearly 2 decades and he's built many different custom swingarms for me and members on here.

You must call. Go to his website and get a feel for what he can do.

He has my drawings for everything. It is always easier to build new than do what I did. I had too much time and decided to figure out what was needed to mix the two since I own 300exs and 200xs.

Kxt plastics are just nicer maiers. DC Plastics are just not as nice maiers. I had DC reproduce Tecate front fenders years ago.

DC Plastics is also reproducing 200x tank scoops for me.

Your new to this I can tell...just buy whatever fenders you can afford. Go ride. Don't overthink the process lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    No.

Contact Mike from hreatv.com

The swinger I built is my personal one. I had prob 30+ hours into figuring it all out. I built it from free spare parts..
    I don't run all 300ex stuff in the rear. The 300ex rotor is way larger than the 200x . It is the size of a dinner plate. I run atc250r since it is the smallest. I also only use yz426f front caliper since they are just great.

Hre can build you one and talk you thru the parts you would like to run.

I am not Hre. I have known him nearly 2 decades and he's built many different custom swingarms for me and members on here.

You must call. Go to his website and get a feel for what he can do.

He has my drawings for everything. It is always easier to build new than do what I did. I had too much time and decided to figure out what was needed to mix the two since I own 300exs and 200xs.

Kxt plastics are just nicer maiers. DC Plastics are just not as nice maiers. I had DC reproduce Tecate front fenders years ago.

DC Plastics is also reproducing 200x tank scoops for me.

Your new to this I can tell...just buy whatever fenders you can afford. Go ride. Don't overthink the process lol.
    Ok, there’s a fair amount to process here.

1. I can buy a bolt in DURABLUE axle for about $800 shipped and have a straight axle that is stronger than OEM. Aside from purchasing a different driven sprocket I’d be done and I’d gain between 2”-4” of axle width. I can reuse my brakes, hubs and ect.
    2. I appreciate your input regarding the extensive work, and development for the modifications you made to your swingarm. As you so keenly pointed out (and as I openly stated in my initial thread about this trike) I am relatively new to three wheelers, not sure how that is relevant to the build but either way, thanks for pointing it out. I could brief you on my experience with various powersports endeavors but who cares? I’m not here to get into a stretching contest.
    3. My bike is an 83, it has a totally different swingarm from the one you modified; I’m sure you are well aware of the uniqueness of the 83’ year model swingarm. It’s a tube frame welded swingarm, not a box section swingarm like yours. Maybe your custom set up would work, maybe your friend could build me an entirely new swingarm. Doesn’t matter to me as I suspect it’ll cost well more than the DURABLUE axle and probably won’t do any better job in the end than my stock set up with the DURABLUE axle.
    4. I appreciate the insight on the plastics, I think you’re saying that the KTX is best among what I listed, Maier is middle of the road and the DC is bottom dollar. While I’m not independently wealthy, I am restoring a toy here and I want to be wise with my money. I cannot justify the cost of NOS plastic, I can however afford and justify aftermarket plastics. I’ll probably go with the Maier‘s as they offer both fenders and the tank shrouds all in the same color. Not sure how the KTX fenders would match the Maier shrouds regarding color.
    5. “Your new to this I can tell...just buy whatever fenders you can afford.” I think you mean “You’re” here, but I’m not your (ha, see what I did there) English teacher. Half the time autocorrect screws up what I type the first time. LOL
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    84-85 swinger work on an 83. Just buy a 84-85 shock link and you can swap out the swinger. the 83 200x swinger is stronger and has the shock mount built into it. Nothing changes.

Buy the durablue axle and fix yours up. You will in the long run spend more to do it the 300ex conversion way, however you will get axles for $140 all day long the 300ex way. I would not give $5 for any used OEM 200x axle. They are too skinny and too old at this point.

Enjoy your build.

--
    84-85 swinger work on an 83. Just buy a 84-85 shock link and you can swap out the swinger. the 83 200x swinger is stronger and has the shock mount built into it. Nothing changes.

Buy the durablue axle and fix yours up. You will in the long run spend more to do it the 300ex conversion way, however you will get axles for $140 all day long the 300ex way. I would not give $5 for any used OEM 200x axle. They are too skinny and too old at this point.

Enjoy your build.
    It sounds like our thinking is the same, this bike won’t be raced or abused… much… ��

I plan to ride it myself and I don’t plan to let others, who don’t know trikes, ride it. I think the DURABLUE will be fine. Originally I didn’t like the look of the 83’ swinger but the more I look at it I appreciate its uniqueness.

Thank you for the reply and the info. I’ll keep the updates coming, and I assure you, I’m enjoying the build!!! Thanks
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Made another parts order yesterday, every chassis bearing and seal will be replaced with genuine Honda bearings and seals. Only exception is the steering head bearings will be replaced with Pivot Works tapered roller bearings.

The DG grab bar I ordered should be here today, I plan to mock up the subframe repairs first. Then address the suspension, I’d like to get the chassis squared away before I begin the engine swap work.

I’m going to use the front master cylinder off the CRF for my front brakes, maybe the caliper too. Still need to address the rear brakes. Disassembling them will determine if they are viable or not. I have one broken stud soaking in penetrating oil as we speak, it hold the parking brake plate on so hopefully it comes out without killing the threads.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    The grab bar arrived and looks about like I expected, not great but not bad. It'll be very helpful when reconstructing the broken part of my subframe. Shouldn’t be too big of a deal!

I also ordered plastics this evening, went with the KTXPro. We'll see how they look! Going to try to measure the runout of the axle tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E0F8CAE-9916-4FE9-88D7-4A38AC996EEE.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	269770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46E6CC1D-9CB5-45D3-99FB-3A16933E94F7.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	269771
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    you will need to beef up a few areas on the frame. Check out my build thread for those areas.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threa.../#post-1330887

--
    Yes sir, I actually rear your whole thread on that swing arm early last week, great work! So it looks like your strapped a doubler plate onto the downtube, gusseted the subframe to the main frame hoops and my personal favorite was the gusset by the left side foot peg! So weird Honda omitted that on the left but had it on the right? Did I miss anything? I’ll plan to add these mods, do you jump your bike a lot?
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    I did not ride on that frame yet. Its apart and its foolish to think any 40 year old frame is super strong now days. They all will break at that point at the lower down tube sooner or later.

--
    It’s funny how it’s all relative, I consider the full cradle ATC200X frame plenty strong for woods duty. Compared to the hard tail Z50 frames I’ve repaired and restored those frames are extremely fragile, then again they were made for kids in the yard. Not adults jumping them….

I’d go a step further on the 200X and say that under extreme abuse I’m more scared of the 33mm fork tubes than the frame!

I’m debating a USD fork swap, but in reality I don’t need another custom fabrication project and I don’t intend to motocross this bike so I’m sure the stockers will be fine.

--
    USD forks are over kill on these. I did that 10 years ago. 83R suspension with my re-indexed dog bone HREatv.come makes brings the rear to match the correct geometry when running a 2nd gen R forks (35mm) and 83R only rear shock only. I am the sole engineer of that dog bone. If using 83 200x swinger then your machine will sit like a chopper with longer forks. I used YZ80/85 one mine....I converted back to an 83-84R forks.

HRE makes my re-indexed dog bone. He has a fixture for it.
    It's an easy swap but there's tricks him and I know about over the years on doing them.

And so you do not ask me what's involved with 2nd gem R front end...nothing (It's that simple). 83-84R front ends are 100% the same parts and part numbers as a 200x...you reuse all your 200x stuff just run the R forks on bored 200x triples, or you take 83-84 R triples and removed the steering stem, bore the bottom triple to accept the 200x stem and install.

I've been doing this WAY to long. Hopefully this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 152.jpg   146.jpg   133.jpg   121.jpg   102.jpg   99.JPG  

79.JPG   81.jpg   1.jpg  
    Last edited by oldskool83; 09-01-2022 at 03:17 PM.

--
    Yeah, I know. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy! I plan to stick with the stock forks, I’d rather have a nice running X than the best suspension in the world and it is in pieces. Are NOS fork lowers still available? I’d love to strip and polish mine but they are beat up beyond belief, if I can find a decent set of lowers I’ll just paint or powder coat mine.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    USD forks are over kill on these.

Heresy!
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    NOS forks sets...yes I have a few brand new in the Honda box. I will not sell them. I am working with a chinese company to reproduce fork legs. I own them a bad set to reproduce...sucks but they are willing. No one in America is really willing anymore. Most forks are bent or pitted badly.

The amount of money I have hidden way in NOS parts is nuts...I will sell off some every now and then or used stuff once I have it reproduced or remade. I just sold a CT racing swinger.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //