//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 1983 ATC200X basket case resto-mod

--
    Hello again! I ordered a Durablue axle on Monday, it requires a 1981-1982 ATC 250R sprocket as it does away with the rubber isolators in the stock 200X axle set up. I’ve found several options online for 40, 42 and 44 tooth options. What do you guys like to use for a rear sprocket with a 20” tires set up? If needed, I can always go up on the front sprocket to compensate. The only axle option available is stretched, +4” I think, and I believe the offset on the wheels will also add a couple inches. Hopefully this bike will fit on the local trails!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    When i ran that axle I took the sprocket hub to a machinist, had him turn down the stock flange and make me one that used TRX sprockets. It's fully solved all the issues of being stuck with odd or big sprockets. Hers a photo of one of mine. Anyone machinist can do it. I ran stock 38T sprockets on mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100.JPG   72.jpg   100_1875.jpg   100_1874.jpg   100_1877.jpg  

--
    Very slick, that’s a good, simple solution too! I have a friend who can build practically anything in cad and have it water jetted, 3d printed or CNC machined depending on what is needed, I may lay this at his feet and see what kind of hybrid aluminum/steel carrier he can come up with! Great photos, explain the issue and solution perfectly! Thanks

For reference my research shows the stock 81-82 250R rear sprocket is a 4x100mm bolt pattern.

Is it preferable to go to a smaller rear sprocket like a 38 instead of increasing the size of the countershaft sprocket? Usually on a motorcycle I’d prefer to go up in the front to extend chain life. I can see a minor advantage of slightly increasing the rear sprocket’s ground clearance when going to a smaller size, which is a benefit with the smaller tires.
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 10-14-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Just do what I had done. Solves all the issues. This is 1 of the reasons I built my own swinger to run a 300ex axle...solves $800 worth of parts and 2 issues at the same time. Plus It cost me well. $0

--
    Durablue axle had arrived, it’s a nice piece! Also got an Uni air filter for the OEM air box. Progress has been slow between work, baby and my KLX needing a new crankshaft. I’m still dead set on getting the 230X done. I’ll post back ASAP!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    They prob where...but where are documented parts to get the correct ride heights, not just putting a shock on the machine and going riding. That's why I came up with the re-indexed dog bone. Thanks big buddy

--
    Getting back to this project, I’m going to do my best to match the beautiful pristine polish of the new DWT wheels on my old OEM front wheel. Then on to adding some gussets to the frame. I can’t wait to get this project rolling!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    polished looks so nice but stains so easy in dirt / mud. You might want to polish and then have them clear coat hard anodized. Don't know a place, I do. LMK

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    polished looks so nice but stains so easy in dirt / mud. You might want to polish and then have them clear coat hard anodized. Don't know a place, I do. LMK
    I have considered that. Getting back in there to polish under the disc would be a major pita too. Another thought is cut my hub down on the lathe to accommodate a 4x170 DWT front wheel. It would likely be cheaper and easier to cut the shoulder of the hub down and bore and tap 4 holes than trying to get all the gouges out of my OEM wheel and have it cleared. Or find a stock Honda 4x170 hub off a 86 200x or similar 250R. Jury is still out on that one!
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 09-16-2023 at 08:37 AM.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Quote Originally Posted by X-HEAD View Post
    Not sure if anyone said yet but the piston you had before you decided on a crf230 is aftermarket high compression
    Yep, sadly I have zero history on the engine. It has what I think is an aftermarket cam, HC piston, stock carb with a larger main and a very roached Supertrapp pipe. Based off how the bike was when I bought it I’d say it’s clear the prior owner/mechanic was clueless. Hard to say what this bike may have done in its hayday! I really hoped to save the original engine, and while I haven’t written it off completely it just had too many what ifs attached to it. No idea of the clutch, bottom end or transmission condition, the wiring is another large variable, I found it best to start with a known good Honda built engine and harness.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Still plugging away slowly at this project. I dropped off the forks and shock at the local suspension shop for assessment and reconditioning. I know the forks are slightly bent so in addition to trying to fix that the guy is also going to re-powdercoat my shock spring and have a new braided stainless reservoir line made up! Depending on how the lowers look, they are pretty rough and gouged, I may have them powder coated as well. Painting them is also an option and would make touch ups much easier.

Tonight I worked on brakes. The rear caliper had 3 seized bolts in it. All are out now after various methods of destruction! The OEM front MC is pretty much trash. Reservoir and cap plastics are all but gone, I plan to snag the front MC off the CRF230 for the ATC. Front caliper is stripped down to bare casting with the exception of the larger slide pin which is seized in its bore. My impact didn’t touch it, I was able to shift the caliper on the slider pin in compression with a press but have yet to move it outwards at all.

Have not assessed the rear MC yet but I hope it’s salvageable as I’ll rebuild all of the original hydraulics with fresh rubber and hard parts.

More to come!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    I put a blaster master on rear of my 200x...I had to drill out the hole...its about sport on. Basically a carbon copy of 04-12 carbed yfz450 rear masters. Use what ya have. Its all made by nissin. However get an etcher and etch in what it is off one....one day you will forget and no one keeps a built records anymore. I have tons of extra parts 200x 300ex blaster if you need masters or something. I use what left from parting. Going after a certain thing can cost a bunch. I also have 2 extra 200x motors here if you need anything.

--
    Well, I definitely need a different rear master cylinder, mine is beyond roached. Ideally I’d find a working take off MC and rebuild it myself. I’m almost done tearing down the front caliper. All but the large slide pin is out, it is limited in its travel by the mounting bracket and since the pin won’t spin freely I can’t unthread it! The whole ensemble is soaking in PB blaster while I’m out of town on a work trip. Maybe it’ll have penetrated the corrosion by the time I get home. I was glad to see I can find new rear brake reservoir cups on eBay so all that I’ll need in addition is a new low pressure hose to couple the reservoir to the rear MC.

I plan to have new stainless brake lines made up to replace the old, tired rubber hoses. Also looking forward to adding decals and making a bracket for the headlight. Can’t decide between going back with the rough, but serviceable, stock headlight set up or making a custom LED based arrangement. LED would be awfully easy with the DC stator and rectifier on the 230f engine…

I’ll get it rideable first and go from there!
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F944C0B8-E004-4F31-A1D3-8DE8D5DD9DB8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	270833

Progress on the 200X has been slow but I am making a little headway. Frame has been gusseted and powdercoated. The guy I took my suspension too has really screwed me over. Took a little over 6 months to get my parts back, I called weekly and he kept giving me the run around. When I finally told him to get my stuff ready because I’m coming to pick it up he went ahead and put new fork seals in and painted my lower fork legs black, then threw the new seal kit in I gave him and poured some oil into the shock.

He didn’t even try to straighten the bent fork, didn’t have my spring powdercoated, didn’t make up a new remote reservoir line… I picked up my shock in pieces.

My powdercoater had the spring done in one day. While checking out the clicker on the bottom of my shock (less the spring) under compression the shock shot oil out all over me. Ruined my pants and stained my sunroom carpet. I took the spring and leaking shock back two weeks later for him to fix. He said “can I keep it a couple days?” It’s been three months now. The guy is useless.

The leak is coming from the clicker needle that goes through the shock shaft. He didn’t know how to take it apart so he set it on the shelf and it wasn’t until I showed up one day that he finally decided maybe he should get back on it. He goofed around for a couple hours while I was there trying to stuff various size orings into the bottom of the shock body to seal the needle but said that it kept leaking. I’m guessing there probably shouldn’t be pressurized oil in that area anyway and the orings are likely to keep dirt and trash out of there.

Anyway, I have about 95% of all my build stuff ready and waiting. I certainly have enough to get the bike up and rideable which is what I really want to do. I’ve missed a whole summer of 200X riding due to this guy and am about at my wits end.

If anyone has a decent spare 200X shock I’d love to buy one.

I’ll update again soon, been too long.
    Last edited by 1stGEN110; 09-16-2023 at 08:57 AM.
    1979 ATC110
    1983 ATC200X
    1985 ATC70
    1986 ATC125M

--
    Hey thanks for the update; that frame looks great! Wow that is frustrating about the shock. Maybe someone around here knows a good suspension guy?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //