//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bent Triple Tree - 200M

--

Bent Triple Tree - 200M

We’re pretty sure the triple tree is bent, going to take it off the ATC (200M) tomorrow to confirm. Has anyone ever got one of these straightened out either by themselves or at a machine shop? I also could purchase another one on eBay or marketplace and it looks like a regular 83 200 model, and both the 84 and 85 M models will work with the 25 inch wheel. If I’m correct the 200S model is a 22 inch wheel so I’m not sure if the triple tree off those models will take a 25 inch tire. Anyways once I get it off I will add a few pics.

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    A bent set of trees would be unlikely but I suppose not impossible.
    It is possible they are just ‘racked’ and just need to be loosened up and a little torque applied via a piece of pipe.
    The cast (and likely forged) aluminum trees are pretty stout. I’ve fixed a few front end hit bikes with one having a bent backbone but have never seen a bent triple tree yet. Always a first time.
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Hi Dave8338 I sure hope there not bent I will use your tip on loosening them up and re-torquing prior to complete removal. If they are bent would you explore options on getting them straightened at a machine shop or just look for a replacement? Thx for commenting that’s what makes this forum great.

--
    After posting some pics, it'll be easier to tell what's going on.

They certainly can be bent. It's just the two metal tubes held in the middle by shaped flat steel, with the bridge bolted to the top. I've straightened out a few twisted ones where once on the stem only one bolt would line up on the bridge. I done it by holding one side in a vice and using a cheater bar in the other to twist/bend them back into place. It's just adjusting the piece of flat steel in the center, the tubes are pretty stout.

You need the 200/200M replacements. Not only are the 185S/200S versions shorter, they're also narrower. It's easy to tell the difference by looking at the fork leg clamp bolts. The 200M version upper bolt is below that flat steel crossbrace/bridge. The other version is in line with it. Lots of sellers on Ebay don't have a clue about what they're selling, they're just dismantlers, not trike enthusiasts. You've got to double check things yourself.

Example, 200M fork listed as 200S:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25568536704...temCondition=4
    Last edited by ATC King; 09-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Hi ATC King, thx for the information I’m feeling a little more positive about the situation. I will be tackling this in a few hours and I will post pics as I navigate this repair. I read that the base model 83 200 uses the same triple tree as the 84/85 M, they also run a 25 inch tire as well. I picked up my ATC a couple weeks ago and it’s 95% mint, just need new handlebars and to fix the triple tree.

--
    Yes, the 200(no letter) and 200M use the same suspension fork.

Another thing to look out for is that fork uses a leading axle which means the lowers do not swap with the 185S/200S forks that use a trailing axle. In case you're ever searching for replacements.

Boots, seals, and wipers are all still available, so as long as the chrome tubes aren't pitted/rusted, they're serviceable.

--
    So in a day I’ve gone from a nice enjoyable project seemingly under control to this OMG 😆 Turns out we couldn’t straighten it and I found a guy selling two part trikes and buried in the back of my truck is a useable triple tree. A few more parts that I can use for sure and I should be able to resell it for what I paid…. The project continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00BE9747-1309-4CDF-A567-ECD6CA58F1FA.jpeg   C467C6E7-3957-4372-B7F6-A65B2B97F4D2.jpeg   83E4BE83-90BE-40E7-AF39-B02661CE457E.jpeg  

--
    You shouldn't chunk it though, someone can straighten it out. It's still worth something as a repairable part.

That's good you were able to find one that'll work. They're the harder ones to acquire, especially at a reasonable price.

--
    I agree there is a guy fairly close to me that straightens atv bent frames etc and the guy at the local bike shop told me yesterday to give him a call. Then I mentioned this deal on marketplace and he said always nice to have extra parts kicking around, and it went from there lol. I will definitely get the original repaired. Also in the back of my truck is a set of straight handlebars and a few other goodies I need. I’m hoping it all works out.

--
    You're a hair too far away for me to help but I've probably straightened over 100 axles and forks at this point. Get yourself a couple of V blocks, a straight edge and a dial indicator or 3...

Some of the models are still easy enough to find parts for that you can just find a good straight one, but we're running a bit low on forks with good chrome and axles with good zinc coating left and decent splines so they're often worth straightening.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Well I got it all back together and pretty happy with how she looks, even added a tow hitch assembly. However has anyone else forgot to put the fork boots back on lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F2137E80-EA23-4386-A2CD-F8FE2729DD5E.jpeg   8550CCEC-CB8E-4FA1-AD8E-F0D27D5819FE.jpeg   8A764928-550E-4920-B85B-FA9E5001C8BE.jpeg   CA1674FA-ADB8-4981-8A86-082CD83E287B.jpeg   20188C5E-68BF-4D0B-8A74-037D3D8EAC0A.jpeg   8687AA4A-9AF4-41E4-88CC-E59D406C1F69.jpeg  

Last edited by Sneakers; 09-15-2022 at 08:45 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //