//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Search function not (350X) Helping

--

Search function not (350X) Helping

Not a poster, more a reader, but the time has come. I’m finally finishing up my 85’ 350X, it was in pieces for the last 20 yrs, I can now ride it around the yard! I’m running into issues with the front and rear brake calipers as well as the rear brake reservoir. Issues being:
    I’m trying to rebuild the front caliper, but can’t get the slide pin to come out in order to replace the boot.

The rear caliper mounting set up…. I can’t find clear pics as to how it goes together, I do have an OE manual.

I went with the Empire exhaust, which is huge, working around multiple issues with that, but the reservoir mounts right above it. What is everyone doing with the hose to get it back to the master cylinder?

I know someone will comment, use the search button, which I have multiple times through out this rebuild, but only seeing the same threads which aren’t helping.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

--
    Use heat / map gas to remove the caliper pin .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The 1985 350X & 250R use a different rear brake claiper mount than the 1986 models. It is specific. There are youtube videos of guys upgrading this setup to use a trx450R caliper. I know MRC builds has this video but there are others. Maybe you can watch those and see what you need. I have a 1985 350X but it has a 86 swingarm so the brake caliper mount is different.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    I’ll check it out. My swinger is a 86’ I have everything for it, just unsure on how it all mounts up. Videos should definitely help with that! I appreciate the info!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 31sv View Post
    Not a poster, more a reader, but the time has come. I’m finally finishing up my 85’ 350X, it was in pieces for the last 20 yrs, I can now ride it around the yard! I’m running into issues with the front and rear brake calipers as well as the rear brake reservoir. Issues being:
    I’m trying to rebuild the front caliper, but can’t get the slide pin to come out in order to replace the boot.

The rear caliper mounting set up…. I can’t find clear pics as to how it goes together, I do have an OE manual.

I went with the Empire exhaust, which is huge, working around multiple issues with that, but the reservoir mounts right above it. What is everyone doing with the hose to get it back to the master cylinder?

I know someone will comment, use the search button, which I have multiple times through out this rebuild, but only seeing the same threads which aren’t helping.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!
    That Empire exhaust is over 600$, yet I read allot of guys having fitment issues with them. Get it all mounted up before you tighten any bolts, you can shove it around a little bit that way. Some guys have had issues with the midpipe hitting different parts of the trike.

If you have an 86 swingarm the rear caliper uses a mount to bolt onto the mounting plate with the large hole in it. That plate slides over your bearing carrier and the large circlip holds it on. The other end of that plate has a oval slot in it, that slips over a steel bushing that slips over the stud welded on your swingarm a few inches forwards from the carrier.

Gotta be very creative when getting calipers apart and make sure you support the body while you are ing on it or pressing something out.

I just tore down 10 of the worst brake calipers I've ever seen a couple days ago, looked like they had been in salt water for a few years.

I ended up sticking them in my milling machine and bored out most of the seized pins and bolts. Even the brake pad pins were seized inside the caliper body, they wouldn't turn.

If you rebuild it just crack the bleeder and put a grease gun on it and you can hydraulically remove the piston.

See if you save it, China brake parts don't have the quality OEM does.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yeah, the Empire is a very big exhaust, it is almost touching the frame in two different spots. Not a lot of clearance for the clutch cable running down the frame, I actually melted the cover of one, and again where it comes back out of the frame, near where the rear reservoir mounts which is my issue.

I have the mounts for the rear, actually have multiple both 85's & 86's, I just don't have a clear understanding of how it mounts up. The manual isn't real clear on somethings, this being one. I have the rear caliper apart to rebuild, but having issues getting the boots to stay in while reinserting the pin. The bolts that hold the pads where definitely seized, I ended up having to a Torx socket on to one of them after stripping it with the right sized allen. The bike, while was in pieces, was always stored away, weather never touched it and the calipers have been the only thing giving me issues with entire rebuild.

The front is just being an absolute bear with trying to get the pin out. I have tried everything that I can, except using heat, which I will try when get a chance.

Does anyone have a clear picture of the rear brake mounting setup?

--
    PARTZILLA.COM shows hoe it all comes apart. Its easy to get these stuff apart but most most you need to just soak everything in s a tube of wd40 or penetrating old for a week. then use heat. I use a small mottle of propane. From there is trial and error to get appart. If not send over to one us and we can help you. I'm currently restoring some 200x calipers and master cylinders...it takes awhile but my stuff comes out better than new.

--
    I was able to get the rear brakes figured out, so good to go on that end. Still having issues with the front. I was able to purchased a used caliper from an eBay seller, he reached out to see if could make a deal without eBay, I may know why now. Description showed some wear, which was expecting, as well as good condition. I started rebuilding it last night, piston came out fine, nothing else really to do but put back together. Well, the seller did not mention that someone had drilled the pins that hold the pads out! So I now have 2 front calipers, that I currently cannot use for 2 different reasons, but I will get this figured out!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //