//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My new free 1985 250R ... And all of the problems

--

My new free 1985 250R ... And all of the problems

It has been about 10 years since my last post on here. I'm back with a new stupid project.

I picked up an old Yamaha from a guy last summer who was cleaning out his garage. He called about a week ago and told me he uncovered an old Honda 3 wheeler he had taken apart due to a "bad bearing". He said i could head to his house and come grab it for free... so now i own his old Honda. It turns out it is actually a 1985 250SX.

Both the side covers are off the motor and the entire rear end is disassembled up to the output for the shaft drive. The motor turns over nicely and seems to have decent compression. The kickstarter gears were hanging on barely when i started tearing into it. I can't for the life of me figure out how the spring return goes back together. I pulled the parts diagram and everything is there including the spacer/washer on the shaft on the inside (no bottom end washer removal for me thankfully). I can't get the shop manual download link to work on here. Does anyone have a video or guide for me on how to get the kickstarter reassembled? Where does the spring hook? It looks like it should hook on the bottom of the interior window in there, but I don't know how to make that happen. It feels like there isn't going to be enough room to get it hooked and get the shaft into its hole in there with the boss in the hold down thing that is bolted in there. Maybe It is simple and I'm doing it wrong.

I appreciate the help. This site has been invaluable for me for years.
    Last edited by RHEEMO; 09-19-2022 at 01:50 AM. Reason: 250R to 250SX
    ATC's owned
    1973 ATC70 (long-term restoration)
    1980 ATC185 (parts)
    1983 ATC200 Big Red (rider)
    1984 ATC200 Big Red (parts)
    1984 ATC110 (rider)
    ATV's
    1987 Polaris Cyclone (almost done)

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Congrats! Welcome back! Unfortunately, I am no help but would love to see what you got if you can post pics?

--
    Just so you know, 250Rs were all chain drive. A shaft drive is probably a 250SX or a 250ES Big Red.

--
    I had the SX in my head when i posted this, but wrote 250R instead. It is a 250SX.

I might be able to grab some pictures tomorrow. It is pretty torn down. It looks like it was being stripped to the frame in random order. I'm not even sure if i have everything to put it back together. You gotta love getting an old battery charger box filled to the top with random nuts and bolts. The plastics are trashed and the tank looks pretty bad. I didn't even pull the gas cap off to look. If the inside is anything like the outside I have a problem.

My starting point is going to be getting the engine up and running. If it runs I'll try to put it back together. If it doesn't I'll have a pile of parts for sale. Just trying to put the clutch cover back on is a pain. I found the service manual online thankfully. Current plan is to get the kickstarter re-set, throw the covers back on the engine, clean up the carb a bit and see if fires off. If anyone has any tips for the return spring, let me know.
    ATC's owned
    1973 ATC70 (long-term restoration)
    1980 ATC185 (parts)
    1983 ATC200 Big Red (rider)
    1984 ATC200 Big Red (parts)
    1984 ATC110 (rider)
    ATV's
    1987 Polaris Cyclone (almost done)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //