//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New here and new to 3 wheelers

--

New here and new to 3 wheelers

Hey I figured I’d check in here first. I was just given an ‘85 Honda 250SX. My ex father in law bought it new. It has been sitting in the same place in his garage since I’ve known him, at least 20 years ago. My son (his grandson) has a dirt bike now and he gave me the trike to get back running and go ride with him.

Anyway she’s pretty dusty from sitting for all those years. I know I’ll need tires and a battery. Inside of the tank is rusty and the gas is basically varnish now. The key was lost so there’s a new Honda ignition kind of half ass wired on which needs to be cleaned up. It feels like it has good compression with the kick start and he did say he had it running about a year ago. I’m hoping to have some time to mess with it this weekend and see if I can at least get it cleaned up and running and then I’ll start tackling the issues I find.

Here she is in all her crusty 80’s glory-

Please excuse the garage we just moved and I haven’t organized my stuff yet. That’s gonna be the first step so I have a clean work area.

I’m sure I’ll be in here a lot with plenty of questions. This seems like a cool place. I hope I can breathe some new life into this machine and go for my first ever 3 wheeler ride.

Joey

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Awesome score! I would start by cleaning the tank out. You can organize your shop while the rust remover is working.

--
    Well fellas she is alive!

https://youtube.com/shorts/nksIyLfdoQA?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Well that didn't take very long.

--
    It’s been a while since I’ve done any work to the 250SX. I found out that one of the riding parks closest to my house won’t let 3 wheelers ride. I had a deal on a 2003 KDX220 fall into my lap so I jumped on it. It needed clutch springs and a couple of little things but it’s running great now and I was able to go on my first real ride with the boy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999A49E7-920B-43AC-A7BB-2D5914BA392B.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	591.0 KB 
ID:	270410

Name:	191A807D-F634-4CCF-A553-B9464F02FD13.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	822.4 KB 
ID:	270411

Name:	58EDA751-B1D3-4818-9FD0-8FEA223076FF.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	476.6 KB 
ID:	270412

I did finally make some time for the 3 wheeler though and pulled the clutch cover off. I found that someone went in to replace the clutch but didn’t have everything lined up right and when everything was tightened up it bent one of the steels into a cone shape. I ordered a new clutch kit and put it in, and also cleaned my gas tank. It’s finally moving under its own power! When I get home today I’m gonna pull the carb apart and clean it up and if there’s enough daylight left hopefully take it for a little ride in the backyard. If all goes well with that my next step will be putting some new tires on it and fixing up the plastics and any other little things I find along the way.

Joey

--

--
    That's great you're out riding with your son on bikes. That's a super confidence building skillset to have.

Too bad on the trike riding access...the stigma and ignorance remains.

Can you street-legal a trike there? Basically, is there any ATV/dirtbike street legal options?

That would be cool to at least get it out once in a while.

Here in Arkansas we can legally ride ATVs on the road* if it's to get to a trail, pasture, farm, or meth lab (last one is not legal). No extra license required but it's a vague law and riders are susceptible to harassment by unknowing or overactive police. In areas where ATVs are part of the tourism industry, it's typically not an issue.

People here do ride ATVs and UTVs to the store, but only in the more rural areas. I wouldn't attempt it in any town with a traffic light. I ask because I don't know about...
    Last edited by ATC King; 02-08-2023 at 10:37 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //