//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Sand Blaster Recommendation?

83200e is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Sand Blaster Recommendation?

I’m looking to replace my old Craftsman sand blaster. I can’t hardly find replacement nozzles anymore, and when I do they are expensive. What I’m seeing at Harbor Freight and TSC is that they don’t have any ceramic nozzles that fit what they sell. Do any of you guys have a syphon type blaster that you would recommend?

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have one of the pressure-pot HF blasters and it works great. Holds about 2X bags of abrasive or soda and I have used it quite a bit. Not sure about the ceramic replacement nozzles as I’m still on those that came with it. I don’t have it hooked up to my blast cabinet but don’t see why it won’t work just fine with it either. Think I paid $150 for it a few years back.
    I’ll have to check into the nozzle replacements.
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Siphon type blasters are very generic and it's easy enough to upgrade just the gun.

If the hopper is still good (a glorified bucket), there are at least a couple quality companies that sell complete guns. A higher quality gun will make a difference on how often the compressor runs or how much work is done for the same compressor cycle. Higher quality means higher efficiency.

A name brand gun will have parts support, unlike the generic type products. That Craftsman blaster is a disposable type of product, but you can upgrade it. That's what I do with my budget priced blasting equipment, upgrade the parts as they break, wear out, or are no longer supported.

I don't know of any companies off-hand that I've purchased from but they should be easy enough to find. No Ebay or Amazon search, just an online search for companies with an actual website.

Edit: A pressurized unit was mentioned but you need to know the pressure/CFM requirements. I think the pressure units need a larger compressor to operated properly.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Siphon type blasters are very generic and it's easy enough to upgrade just the gun.

If the hopper is still good (a glorified bucket), there are at least a couple quality companies that sell complete guns. A higher quality gun will make a difference on how often the compressor runs or how much work is done for the same compressor cycle. Higher quality means higher efficiency.

A name brand gun will have parts support, unlike the generic type products. That Craftsman blaster is a disposable type of product, but you can upgrade it. That's what I do with my budget priced blasting equipment, upgrade the parts as they break, wear out, or are no longer supported.

I don't know of any companies off-hand that I've purchased from but they should be easy enough to find. No Ebay or Amazon search, just an online search for companies with an actual website.

Edit: A pressurized unit was mentioned but you need to know the pressure/CFM requirements. I think the pressure units need a larger compressor to operated properly.
    You are correct. I run mine on 35cfm at 135psi on a twin-stage 240V compressor.
    When I had the siphon type I would keep the tank elevated. It didn’t help the siphon effect but did allow the abrasive to more easily flow through/down the feed line. A good gun will make a world of difference; however, how much do you want to spend on a siphon system?
    They work fine for small jobs and on a cabinets…

83200e is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I tried the HF 40# pressurized blaster and my compressor wasn’t enough to push it. I did however learn that the 10 pack of 1/8 nozzles do fit that blaster, which I believe has the same gun that yours has Dave. I can find plenty of guns for sale, but when I start looking for the nozzles I find either they don’t exist, are extremely overpriced, or come in a variety pack with a bunch of useless tips I’ll never use. I’d buy the Craftsman again in a heartbeat if I could find the nozzles. It lasted over 20 years and was used frequently. I’m still using it with steel tubing as a nozzle.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83200e View Post
    I tried the HF 40# pressurized blaster and my compressor wasn’t enough to push it. I did however learn that the 10 pack of 1/8 nozzles do fit that blaster, which I believe has the same gun that yours has Dave. I can find plenty of guns for sale, but when I start looking for the nozzles I find either they don’t exist, are extremely overpriced, or come in a variety pack with a bunch of useless tips I’ll never use. I’d buy the Craftsman again in a heartbeat if I could find the nozzles. It lasted over 20 years and was used frequently. I’m still using it with steel tubing as a nozzle.
    Good to know. Much appreciate the update.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //