//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Trying a Wiseco billet clutch basket for the first time but I seem t have an issue...

--

Trying a Wiseco billet clutch basket for the first time but I seem t have an issue...

I have installed several Hinson baskets with great success. However, in an effort to save a friend of mine a little money on his complete engine rebuild that I am doing for him I recommended giving the Wiseco basket a try. I believe that it's the rubber inserts that I am attempting to reuse (they look to be in very good condition, but I may be wrong), but when I get the gear and backplate torqued to recommended specs, the drive gear has the smallest amount of play in it. Rotationally it's tight, but I am able to wiggle it axially. I don't like it one bit. The basket has no imperfections and everything went together quite easily. I am going to try new inserts, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had this same thing happen. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 11-01-2022 at 01:39 PM.

--
    What machine ?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I can't believe I didn't include that info. My apologies. 1985 ATC250R.

Also, I am having a hard time finding an OEM part number to either purchase or to cross reference with. Any help there would be appreciated as well.

I found a post on ThumperTalk from 2016 that had the same issue, but nobody replied to it. I am hoping that I have better luck on here.
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 11-01-2022 at 02:14 PM.

--
    I’ve done a few aftermarket baskets , it’s always best to replace the rubbers if available , some kits come with them .
    Sounds like your rubbers have shrunken or are just worn out .
    A little play honestly won’t hurt anything .

Not sure what part number your looking for ? The basket rubbers are not available from Honda unless you purchase a whole clutch basket .

You can call BDT . I believe they sell the rubbers / Cushions in a kit .
    http://bdtmotorsports.com/index.php?...ory&path=75_51
    Last edited by shortline10; 11-01-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Update...I spoke with a rep from Wiseco. He is familiar with the symptom and assured me that as long a the rotational forces are tight and the axial forces are minimal, I should be good to go. He said that when he installed one on his RM125 that he experienced the same thing. He has been running it for years with no problems. I'm going to give it a shot. Once I get everything bolted together maybe it'll tighten up even more. Hopefully I'm not replacing cases or clutch covers in a year or two.

--
    Hinson sells a cushion replacement kit for like $55. The cushions I have are the right thickness and are not hardened at all. I think they'll be alright. Anything is better than the extremely notched OEM basket that I pulled. He wants to upgrade to the Magura hydraulic clutch kit as well. I have been really looking forward to trying it. I bought one for myself a few years back and haven't started the restoration it is meant for.

Thank you all for your input. Helpful as always.

--
    I wouldn’t worry about a little play. It’s supposed to have some flex, that’s the whole purpose of the cushions, to protect your drive train from shock when clutches get dumped, downshifts are made at high rpm, or rear brakes get locked up before clutch levers get pulled in. If you see any rub marks inside your clutch cover, or rattling when stopped in neutral that would indicate the rubbers are shot and need to be replaced.

Make sure you use Loctite on your assembly screws (does not apply to rivets) and don’t over-tighten them.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //