//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1983 ATC Big Red 200E Starts Without Key or Ignition

--

1983 ATC Big Red 200E Starts Without Key or Ignition

Hi all,

I know there are a million threads about wiring/not starting issues on these big reds. However I did not come across any threads that addressed the issue that I'm having. Recently acquired 1983 big red. Starts and runs fine, however the key and the ignition does not kill the trike.

The key can be on, off, removed. Trike will still turn over and run. Figured it was a bad ignition or maybe some wires rubbed together. I replaced the ignition and no change. I completely unplugged and removed the ignition and the bike still turns over and the lights turn on as if the key was still in the bike and turned on. As if the ignition has absolutely no effect on the trike.

I have inspected all of the visible wiring and there eyes no sign of exposed/rubbing wires. Is there some component that could go bad and cause this?

I appreciate any help.

--
    The wiring diagram for your bike can be found here: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite...Ex82Thru83.jpg

Looking at the wiring, it would appear that somewhere in your ignition wiring (B and Dg in the linked picture) you have a jumper or something connecting these wires to the CDI forming a circuit. If the kill switch is killing the engine, that circuit that includes the kill switch can be cut and the wiring is likely intact.

The way I'd tackle it:
    1. Visual inspection the entire length of the B and Dg wires.
    2. Unhook the battery. Using a multimeter, check continuity of the circuit with the ignition switch on and off. If you get continuity, you know that the circuit is getting completed outside of the ignition switch and you have, as you suggested wires rubbing together or a jumper of some kind.

I wouldn't be surprised if a previous owner has switched up some of the connections at some point which has inadvertently allowed the ignition to be bypassed.

--
    more than likely someone bypassed the key, the connected the yellow w/ red tracer to the solid red at the junction in the headlight.
    download the manual, replace the ignition/key wire it correctly.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    I think I've got it figured out. There was a couple of wires at the headlight that were swapped. The main culprit was the two fuses down by the battery. The caps on the fuse tubes were swapped. The wiring diagram really helped.

Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //