//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 200ES CDI issue?

--

84 200ES CDI issue?

So I switched out my carb back to the one that was working well for me and not leaking gas. Now I am having an issue where the wheeler will just die on me unexpectedly. Sometimes in the middle of riding and sometimes when I stop and am in neutral. I can usually get it started again if I wait some time to cool off but this morning was the first time it would not start back up for me. I had to walk back, thankfully I was only a mile away!

By the time I got our truck out there and winch and ramps hooked up I decided to try and start the old girl again. Of course she started just fine which makes me think my issue is only happening once the wheeler is warmed up. A friend said it could be my CDI. When it stops running its almost as if I hit the kill switch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this keeps on happening?

--
    Check the connections at the coil , that model I’ve seen it a number of times where the contacts get loose and corroded .
    Also there know for ignition switches to go bad , they can be taken apart and cleaned .
    The CDI on that model is a one year deal , if you have the money and plan on keeping the Atv buy one , they are known to crap out , they were still available from Honda last time I checked .
    Lastly replace the spark plug , a cracked Porcelain will give you your symptom .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Run time=heat=a potential coil issue. You can find cheap aftermarket coils for $12-15 dollars. Not saying you would have to keep a cheap coil on it but it is an inexpensive method to rule out a likely problem. Heat transfer, through poor conductive connections is possible; however, if the heat transfer is THAT extensive you will likely see melted/scorched terminal connections in most if not all situations. Could also be a R/R going out and sending excessive voltage through the system.

What have you verified at this point?
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Ok I will take a look at replacing the coil next. Thank you for the suggestions. I have had this wheeler for 3 years and have only been able to ride for the past 2 months. It's just been one issue after the next. Either way I am determined to get this running right because I have fallen in love with riding the trails. Iive in Downeast Maine with hundreds of miles to ride and barely scratched the surface. Many mountains to climb and wilderness to explore! I really just need a reliable machine I can depend on getting me back. Three wheelers are bulletproof if I can get it working properly, I will update once I get this next repair done.

--
    Don't be tempted to buy a CDI off ebay or amazon, they will NOT work with the reverse function on the ES model

--
    So after having a friend look at it we started at the spark plug and found the boot was loose. There is a connection that keeps coming off after the 90° from the spark plug. We zip tied the two ends and she fired right back up! Do they still make this part new so I can replace?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Airline View Post
    So after having a friend look at it we started at the spark plug and found the boot was loose. There is a connection that keeps coming off after the 90° from the spark plug. We zip tied the two ends and she fired right back up! Do they still make this part new so I can replace?
    Like the boot keeps coming off the coil wire?

Some of those plug boots screw into the wire. There's a screw inside the boot and you twist it onto the wire like your screwing the wire into the boot. These are known for coming loose or that connection corroding and losing spark there

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //