//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 200s weak spark

--

1984 200s weak spark

I'm working on a 1984 200s. to me the spark seems weak. I can only see it in the dark. I can not get the bike to do anything thing when starting fluid is sprayed in plug hole or carb. i have checked timing and it seems spot on. new coil and its still the same. I ohm out the stator and it reads 103 OHMs the Clymer shop manual calls for 150-400 OHMs while I get mixed numbers on line. most state that 100-400 enough. has anyone had this issue? everything else checks off when checked with ohm meter. I have checked and replaced items listed below. any help is greatly appreciated

compression - 115-120
    pulse - 30 ohm
    switch good
    grounds cleaned and inspected
    new ignition coil
    new CDI (converted to square style)
    timing is good.
    new plug
    Last edited by kwriddle; 11-16-2022 at 01:19 PM.

--
    "New CDI"....... what brand? Some guys have had trouble with the Chinese eBay CDIs

"New Plug".... I've had troubles with counterfeit NGK plugs I got from Amazon(a whole case). Some would have weak spark and some didn't spark at all. That's something to consider.

That compression figure seems a little low. I've had a 200X with 100psi not fire off until I rebuilt the topend

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 11-16-2022 at 04:57 PM.

--
    The CDI I purchased off Dratv website. I’m not sure if the actual brand. The spark seems the same with original CDI as well. Plug I got from my local autozone. But at this point I’m willing to try a new plug just for the heck of it.
    Thanks for the advice

--
    turns out it was the stator coil. replaced with a new one from amazon and it fired up first pull.

--
    Thank you for the follow-up.

Dead threads suck.

FYI, next time you have any type of coil related issue, voltage is more of a diagnostic aid than resistance. Resistance can be within spec but once power is required or there is a load, it may not work. Now that you have it running and for future reference, you can check AC voltage while cranking, with the wires disconnected. Record that and you'll have good known data. Reference data in invaluable. Some automotive websites charge a membership fee to see that kind of stuff and master technicians get new vehicles just to record all of the known good data.

OEM manuals are nice but actual data on new electronics rises above.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //