//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Cleaning a flywheel/rotor

--

Cleaning a flywheel/rotor

What is the best way to clean up a flywheel/rotor without damaging it. It's got rust on it but there isn't any pitting. The motor ran but the guy I got it from said it's been parked outside for about 12 years but it still turns over. It's a 73 us90 with cdi 110 topend.

--
    Any advice would be appreciated.

--
    It's hard to believe nobody has done this before just picked up a 81 atc70 that needs the same thing done to it

--
    Clean the outside, metal part, with a brass wire brush.

Blow the inside out with compressed air, without getting right onto it.

Don't use any solvents. You don't want to dislodge the magnets.

There's no need to make it look pretty. Just get the loose stuff off, the bore clean so it sits true on the crankshaft, and blow off any metal debris stuck to the magnets.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks I've had people tell me to spray it with all kind of things.

--
    In fairness, they may not be wrong.

I seen '110' and just presumed it had that flywheel, which is different than the 90.

If it still has points and the 90 flywheel, a light soak is something that's not too aggressive may help loosen rust. It just depends of if the magnets are glued in or held in with some type of rubber/plastic, which wouldn't be good to soak in anything.

I still wouldn't use a steel wire brush on it, too much of that could get caught up in it somewhere and be hard to remove. Brass isn't magnetic.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    It's cdi for sure. It has 105 on the cylinder and black cdi cover on head and black cover from the pull start to the hi/lo sub trans. I'mstill trying to figure out how to post a pic here.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIPOD guy View Post
    It's cdi for sure. It has 105 on the cylinder and black cdi cover on head and black cover from the pull start to the hi/lo sub trans. I'mstill trying to figure out how to post a pic here.
    Like the King said , wire brush , maybe a light sanding. Blow/wipe it good before assembly

--
    The flywheel is almost identical to a 185s one just the center bore is a different size.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //