//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 YTM225DX spits and spudders during warmup.

--

1984 YTM225DX spits and spudders during warmup.

Bought this trike about 15 years ago, vary good condition. At startup with choke on trike starts right up and runs fine, after a few minutes when choke is off it will spit and spudder for another 10 minutes. After that it will run fine. I have cleaned carb several times, new plug, air filter. The trike has always done this from day one. Any ideas ?

Thanks
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    My last one would do that when the engine was cold. When it was warm, it would run fine. The guy I sold it to said that the valves needed to be adjusted. I know that it's different than what yours is doing, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

--
    Has it always been like that?

It sounds like a typical lean condition, or, cold blooded engine if you prefer.

An intake leak after the carb can cause it. A bad O-ring on the intake manifold or cracks in the rubber. If that model has an enricher valve instead of a choke, it could have leaks that let extra air in. The bottom of the enricher valve may have a rubber seal. If that's leaking it may be sucking air through the cable or enricher nut.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    My last one would do that when the engine was cold. When it was warm, it would run fine. The guy I sold it to said that the valves needed to be adjusted. I know that it's different than what yours is doing, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
    I was going to mention that it sounded like the valves were making noise during warmup. I never adjusted the valves on this trike because it ran great after warmup and never made any top-end noise after warmup. Will check adjustment thanks.
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Has it always been like that?

It sounds like a typical lean condition, or, cold blooded engine if you prefer.

An intake leak after the carb can cause it. A bad O-ring on the intake manifold or cracks in the rubber. If that model has an enricher valve instead of a choke, it could have leaks that let extra air in. The bottom of the enricher valve may have a rubber seal. If that's leaking it may be sucking air through the cable or enricher nut.
    Yes, from the first day I bought it. I'm sure my intake and o rings are good. It runs flawless after it warms up. Going to check the valve clearance today. Thanks
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    Oh well not the valve adjustment.
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels View Post
    I'm sure my intake and o rings are good.
    Since a valve adjustment didn't correct the issue, it's probably a good idea to go ahead to pull the carb again and the intake, replacing the O-rings on the carb and engine side. Also check the intake really well for cracks.

Beyond that, the carb may just need a skosh larger pilot jet. You can check OEM parts websites like Partzilla and see if the '85 used a size larger pilot. That potentially means Yamaha figured out the previous year was a bit lean for some markets/locations and increase the size the following year model.

Absolutely never buy generic jets. Get the same brand as the carb and from a reputable seller to maker certain they're not counterfeit. It may just require one size up to fix your issue.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Since a valve adjustment didn't correct the issue, it's probably a good idea to go ahead to pull the carb again and the intake, replacing the O-rings on the carb and engine side. Also check the intake really well for cracks.

Beyond that, the carb may just need a skosh larger pilot jet. You can check OEM parts websites like Partzilla and see if the '85 used a size larger pilot. That potentially means Yamaha figured out the previous year was a bit lean for some markets/locations and increase the size the following year model.

Absolutely never buy generic jets. Get the same brand as the carb and from a reputable seller to maker certain they're not counterfeit. It may just require one size up to fix your issue.
    Well took carb off again, this time I checked the choke adjustment at the carb and found that it needed adjustment, was not retracting all the way in. Runs great now thanks.
    1982 YT175
    1983 YTM200K
    1984 YTM225DX
    1985 YTM200ER

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //