//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Buying advice

--

Buying advice

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase my first 3 wheeler. Originally had my heart set on a 250r but after reading a lot it turns out it may not be the best first 3 wheeler

So I have now focused on a 200x. I have a 5 acre property that I have a small track/trail that I've made to ride my off road go kart that I built, around. I also back onto some state land which has some trails. I just want something to take for a rip in the afternoon etc.

But I am concerned about the kick starter issue.

Is it just a matter of time before this happens to every 200x?

If not, how do I check, feel etc any 200x I look at and know if it is ok or perhaps on it's way out? I have never had a dirt bike so no idea about how a kick start should feel.

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have done a lot of research and never came across this question/answer.

Thanks in advance for your time. And hopefully this is in the right place.

--
    My 1st Honda ATC experience was a friend's 90 way back in the day… 78 or 79. At the time I had a Honda Odyssey and we would trade off back-and-forth taking turns on each. The Odyssey was the only ATC type of vehicle I owned until way later in life.

I've owned 3 200Xs.....2 350Xs and a first gen Big Red. I think the big red was my favorite bike as it reminded me more of the 90 than anything else….I wish I'd never sold it.

Of the 3 200Xs.....never had any problems with the kickstarter or its related components. They may or may not be a weak spot on the bike but sometimes the Internet amplifies things… you hear a story here and a story there of the spring's failing and then you start to believe every single spring on a 200X is gonna fail...it's just a matter of time.

It reminds me of Kawasaki's KLR650 chain tensioner or the "dohickey" as it's commonly referred as. Go on the Internet and you would swear based on all the chit chat on the forums that every KLR is gonna explode at any given moment because of this. I remember hearing a Kawasaki representative talk about how minimal this problem is and that it's mainly Internet fabricated. My KLR never had that problem.

Keep in mind though that these machines are nearing the half century mark in age.......so things tend to break...especially being used off-road. The good thing about Honda the 200X is they made a zillion of them and parts are floating around for the most part. Gasket kits, seals, etc are all readily available.

For now I keep my eyes open for a 110/90 to purchase. My excuse is is that it will be for my wife so we can ride together....... but we all know why.

Good luck on your quest.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    My 1st Honda ATC experience was a friend's 90 way back in the day… 78 or 79. At the time I had a Honda Odyssey and we would trade off back-and-forth taking turns on each. The Odyssey was the only ATC type of vehicle I owned until way later in life.

I've owned 3 200Xs.....2 350Xs and a first gen Big Red. I think the big red was my favorite bike as it reminded me more of the 90 than anything else….I wish I'd never sold it.

Of the 3 200Xs.....never had any problems with the kickstarter or its related components. They may or may not be a weak spot on the bike but sometimes the Internet amplifies things… you hear a story here and a story there of the spring's failing and then you start to believe every single spring on a 200X is gonna fail...it's just a matter of time.

It reminds me of Kawasaki's KLR650 chain tensioner or the "dohickey" as it's commonly referred as. Go on the Internet and you would swear based on all the chit chat on the forums that every KLR is gonna explode at any given moment because of this. I remember hearing a Kawasaki representative talk about how minimal this problem is and that it's mainly Internet fabricated. My KLR never had that problem.

Keep in mind though that these machines are nearing the half century mark in age.......so things tend to break...especially being used off-road. The good thing about Honda the 200X is they made a zillion of them and parts are floating around for the most part. Gasket kits, seals, etc are all readily available.

For now I keep my eyes open for a 110/90 to purchase. My excuse is is that it will be for my wife so we can ride together....... but we all know why.

Good luck on your quest.
    Thanks for the info.

That's true about the internet and I guess there are thousands of owners like you who haven't had a problem with it and you don't hear of it as "it's not a problem"

Yeah I realize the age of them and things go wrong. Just seemed like with this issue there are not a lot of parts you can get new if any. I have looked a little and don't find much.

--
    200x are getting pretty hard to find in a lot of areas these days. They are commanding a pretty penny in decent condition and you might have to travel to find one. I believe the kicker issue was more prevalent on the first gen ('83 and '84), fixed after that. Are you only looking to buy a sport model? Do you have a budget in mind?
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    The number one problem with kick start engines, especially smaller ones, is the operator.

Honda did sell an upgraded spring, but a stupid heavy foot abusing the hell out of the kicker will do any of them in.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to push the kicker through, let it come back up, take out the slack and don't let back up, then push through with a smooth, even motion.

s who jump on kick starters break all kinds of things, including engine cases. That kind of nonsense even makes starting more difficult.

I've got a couple 600cc singles and when everything is right, they can be started by bare feet and I've actually started them by hand. That's not advisable though because if everything isn't right and they kick back, it can be beyond hurt and require a hospital visit.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //