//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 225dx electric start

--

225dx electric start

I recently got a battery for my 225dx (12v 14ah) and when I try to start her she just keeps on spinning. When I pull start her, though, she fires right up. Why might this be?

--
    Does the starter turn the engine over? Is there any odd noise while the starter is turning the engine over? Maybe your starter isn't turning the engine over fast enough and it's time for a new starter.

--
    Sound's like the starter isn't kicking out to catch the gear ? Pull starter of and bench test it and lube it to get it to work..
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    The starter spins the engine just fine, and no weird noises. Sounds like it wants to start but won't. When I hook up a battery charger to the machine, then the starter actually gets the machine to run

--
    Seems pretty much like a weak starter or bad wires/connections/solenoid.

A voltage drop test on the ground and starter cable will rule those out. You may be able to disassemble the starter to clean an lubricate it, prolonging replacement. A typical solenoid isn't repairable and if that's got internal issues which prevent full power from reaching the starter, you'll have to replace it.

I suggest instead of throwing parts at it, take the time to properly diagnose the issue. A cable can look good on the ends and the insulation not be swollen or broke but enough corrosion still be inside that the cable is bad.

Starters aren't engine oil lubricated so whatever they had from the factory is long overdue for replacement. Bushings or bearings, I'm sure it's dry in there. If anyone done extensive cranking on it or tried multiple times with a low/bad battery, it may be a bit fried and not have the power it should.

I'd start by checking the connections, especially the ground. Then I'd test the cables. If all that's good, I'd have a go at breathing some more life into the starter. If none of that fixed the issue, then I'd consider replacing parts.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //