//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x top end options

--

200x top end options

Hey there, I picked up a 200x last year that was in rough shape. It has what I believe to be an x cylinder but regular 200 head, it has a decompression lever that has been ground off. The rings are in poor shape. My main question is what can I order for rings or a piston and ring kit. Will anything from a 200 fit? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

--
    Any pictures? Does the cylinder have heavy scoring? Consider a new piston and have the cylinder bored and honed oversize.

--
    What year of 200X? The 83-85 have a completely different engine than a 86-87. I'm assuming that you have a 83-85 since you think that there's a regular 200 head on the engine.

--
    Sure, what year X will matter, but since you're asking about the piston and rings, you'll have to tear it down anyway. There's no telling what's been done to it and the condition of the cylinder.

If it's been bored before or the cylinder is in need or a serious oversize due to wear, maybe even a new liner, you won't know until it's torn down.

Never, never, never order things like pistons until the machinist says what you need. Even low hour engines can have an out of shape cylinder. One that's been rode hard and put up wet is going to be a giant, disappointing money pit if not done thoughtfully and thoroughly.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Sorry, I forgot to mention it's an 85. I have yet to find some time to tear it down. Looks like it will be in order though to find a machine shop near me to measure it before I go ahead with ordering anything. If I need to have it bored and go oversize I would assume that an 83-85 200x piston would be preferable. A properly sized one for say a 200s would also work though?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

--
    Stock for stock, a 200X had higher compression than the other 200 engines did. The higher compression will give you more power so you should stick with a 200X piston. Don't go too high on compression. These engine had weak kick starter gears from the factory and high compression won't help that any.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //