//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 Honda ATC200ES Revival (hopefully)

--

1984 Honda ATC200ES Revival (hopefully)

I will try to wrap all this up without being too long winded. I've always wanted a project, and this is my first.

I recently acquired a 200ES from a barn that was on my family's property. After a few hernias I managed to free it from the ground and slide it out of the barn. Despite not running for 20+ years this thing is in really great shape. All the plastic is there and not busted up, the brake light comes on but not the headlight, and the throttle appears to be stuck so you can't push in the thumb lever. I hooked up a portable jumper to test these things, the battery is shot. So, here I am, because I don't know the process of troubleshooting a trike, especially electrical components. So I am going to attempt to lay out what exactly is going on, yes I have looked at your forums and found a similar issue but when we start talking about relays and tracing wires, it's hard for me to understand without asking for clarification and I didn't want to revive a post from 2013. Also, if anyone else has had experience rebuilding these how big of a task is this? Not that it will deter me from doing it, I just want an idea really.

When you turn the key on the neutral light does come on and the brake light comes on as well. When I push the auto start button I hear a clicking coming from the the area the battery box is in. I'm assuming this is a solenoid but I don't know what to do to keep troubleshooting this. Now the pull start works great and you can hear the engine turning but there isn't anything that resembles the sound of an engine actually starting. Can I use my portable jumper and hook it directly to the starter to see if it spins? My only goal at this point is to get the trike to attempt to start. Once I hit that point I am going to start putting real time into it to make it nice again and to have to ride around the property on.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and thank you in advanced for your time.

Last edited by Antipop; 02-27-2023 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added photo

--
    Yes you can put power to your starter to see if it spins. I can say that it probably won't start until you completely go through the carb, at least. You may be able to get the engine to fire off of starting fluid. BEFORE you do any of that, take the lid off of the air box and check inside. Some critter may have made a nest inside there. You'll want to clean it all out before you try to start the engine or turn it over with the starter. You can suck dirt, nest, or other nasty things inside the engine unless you make sure that nothing's in the air box. As far as that goes, if there's anything left of the air filter, you'll also want to remove that too. The air filter won't be any good after 20 years so it's time for a new one. One more nit picky thing. These don't have brake lights. It's the tail light that you see coming on.

--
    Thank you and please excuse my ignorance of the brake light/taillight. The cover to it was completely gone so I couldn't tell if it was one or the other and I guessed wrong. Ok so here's a little update. I figured the carb was going to be a trainwreck. It's off and so is the throttle cable because it is literally GLUED to the thing. I have it soaking now and will resume banging my head against the wall tomorrow. So, another question I have. The airbox. I had a hell of a time getting the carb out because of that thing. Can it be removed, and can I run a filter directly off the carb? This thing is going to be driven on relatively flat ground no mudding or anything like that. How important is the airbox?
    Last edited by Antipop; 02-27-2023 at 11:19 PM. Reason: I suck at grammar.

--
    You can remove the airbox to make carb service easier. If you run a filter with no airbox you’ll need to jet it accordingly, otherwise it will be very lean. Old Hondas are finicky about having the air boxes installed to run correctly with stock carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    I tried removing the airbox but I am having an issue getting it out. I removed four bolts I believe but the thing still feels like it is glued to the frame. I will try again today. Thank you guys for the feedback I really appreciate it.

Footy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipop View Post
    I tried removing the airbox but I am having an issue getting it out. I removed four bolts I believe but the thing still feels like it is glued to the frame. I will try again today. Thank you guys for the feedback I really appreciate it.
    There is another bolt holding it somewhere. Maybe try looking at the parts diagram on the rocky mountain atv/ mc website. or Babbit or Partszilla.
    Put your butt on the inside fender or end up on the ground!

TRX450ER
    ATC250SX
    ATC350X
    ATC110
    ATC185S
    XR100R
    CRF230F
    Raptor 125
    Breeze 125
    Grizzly700

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipop View Post

You will have to pry it out after removing the 4 bolts, the air box kinda fits around the frame. crow bar is what i used.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //